The Official Lanyard Thread

view

Last edited:
Picked up some very nice thick paracord, has 11 inner strands, I have used their 7 stranded for a long time now but I think I can find a few things that might need this hefty one, from time to time.

11 stranded

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

I saw a few recently posted pix of wooden beads and they got me going on an idea. Does anybody here ever make their own wooden beads, know anything about making wooden beads or have any references to info on making you own? It’d seem to be a very simple project, and I’ve got a generous supply of small scraps of exotic Asian, African and South American hardwoods. I’ve never been able to bring myself to throw away my (until now) unusable small scraps of Bocote, Bubinga, Zebrawood, Canarywood, Teak, Mahogany, etc. Now--finally, after years of their drying out in an indoor household environment, it seems they may now actually get used for something.

No. I looked at the benchtop models, but $150-$400 is a bit much for what’ll most likely be a short term passing fancy. I’ve already got the hand drill, bits, carving knives and Japanese hand saws I’ll need to give this a go with the hand-carved approach that I’ll try first.

A small lathe would be the functionally sensible way to pursue this idea, but I don’t want to get into this on a production level.

I've always been kinda reticent, but I'm finally trying out some lanyards on my 940s with standoffs. Gotta say, it's growing on me a bit.

M9WxKUv.jpg
I had a 940-1, but never warmed to the blade shape and had mixed feelings about the S90V steel, so that's been gone for quite awhile. My one knife in that series is my 943-1 Franken with a blade style I like a lot. It's funny that I've never put a lanyard on it as I have a number of knives with cord tied up around the back post. I had this piece of 550 tied up holding the blue glass bead and figured I'd slip the post in and out instead of untying. I'd forgotten those pretty little blue standoffs are shouldered, so I had to loosen the front post to get the back one out. By the time I got it all back together, eliminated the 5th knot, and re-trimmed, it would have been way easier just to re-tie. Like Halden with his two 940s, though, I'm kinda liking my Franken with its new tail.

5bu5ssI.jpg

hIu9MLs.jpg

cabdmd cabdmd like your Crusader's Cross bead in your avatar, one of my favourite beads !

Here's a shot of some 'Heavy Duty' paracord, 11 strands ! which makes a nice large diamond knot and this Cold Steel AD10 needed it as it is a substantial folder!

also key is to do the whipping knot near the knife to help keep things neat and tidy and limit the moving around of your lanyard/fob. A neat and easy knot to learn and looks good too.

G2

I've only recently started using a lanyard on any of my pocket knives. I've never used them on larger knives, but I've found them very useful for making a small knife easy to fish out of my pocket.

I bought the knife on the bottom to carry at work, where I typically wear cargo pants. I usually carry a small knife in the one of the cargo pockets. When I bought the knife, I bought a lanyard from the same vendor in order to make it easier to find the silly thing.

The lanyard was such a help that I made one for my Manbug, which has also been hard to find at the bottom of a pocket.

yJ6AhT6.jpg

Cable girl, I hope you haven’t ordered your para cord yet because, Gary Graley says to order the eight strand versus the seven strand. Seven strand will sometimes flatten out a bit and not hold it shape.

I did actually. I'm not sure of the strand count but in most cases I find myself pulling a few or all strands on some projects for several reasons: I actually prefer flatter more floppy lanyards. I like to make lanyards removable and fully stranded lanyards are too thick to push 2 strands through most lanyard holes I have. Lastly, I usually pull the sheath up and cut the inner strands after tying the last knot so the singed ends have even colour and don't show the melted white inner strands, also is neater when fraying the ends like a tassel.

I will admit diamond knots do sometimes with the more supple types of paracord look better with the strands intact but the latest batch of 550 cord I have been getting seems stiffer and seems to lay better with a few strands pulled.

Lately I have been experimenting with pulling all the strands then cutting and replacing the 2 sections on either end so the only the loop area that threads through knife has the inner strands removed. Seems to work pretty decent when a fuller cord is needed for certain knots but I still want to make the lanyard removable if I get the lengths of the inner strands cut and threaded accurately. BTW, a needle for replacing the 2 sections of stranding can be made from a wire coat hanger with one end flattened and a hole drilled like a huge long quilters needle.

Edit to add: I also use a Pana-Vise with base to hold cord or item when tying knots, makes a world of difference getting things tight and well placed.

Last edited:
cabdmd cabdmd like your Crusader's Cross bead in your avatar, one of my favourite beads !

Here's a shot of some 'Heavy Duty' paracord, 11 strands ! which makes a nice large diamond knot and this Cold Steel AD10 needed it as it is a substantial folder!

also key is to do the whipping knot near the knife to help keep things neat and tidy and limit the moving around of your lanyard/fob. A neat and easy knot to learn and looks good too.

G2
I liked that bead too and had to find an image online to photo shop.
You do very nice work.

Back