The Official Lanyard Thread

I tied up another tail yesterday. After putting one of two new beads on the Dama Cheburkov Scout above, I got out my Boomascus 31 and Arno Bernard iMamba yesterday as the Cheb evokes those two for me. I had forgotten that the tail on the CRK was all but identical to the one I'd just done and decided to do the same on the AB as the bead on that knife was one of my several blue glass ones that often serve as placeholders until I find something I like for a particular knife.

So... These three have the same cords--550 Moonstruck-- same knots, and very similar beads from the same maker at the artsy/craftsy site. As I wrote over at the EDC thread, it's kinda like dressing all your kids the same, a practice which may lie somewhere between creepy and Walmartian. :rolleyes:

1693784661174.jpeg

Here's the iMamba I just tied up and carried solo today. I finally remembered to do the G2 twist when starting my Diamond Knots, but didn't think to do it when tying the one behind the bead, which should serve keep the two knots in the same plane. I actually don't mind the twist leading to the first knot as it helps keep the cord out of the way without the need of a whipping knot--another G2 technique that I've yet to try despite having long ago purchased two skeins of waxed cord.

1693785245213.jpeg

1693785267863.jpeg

Last edited:
P9036415_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

P9036429_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

I tied up another tail yesterday. After putting one of two new beads on the Dama Cheburkov Scout above I got out my Boomascus 31 and Arno Bernard iMamba yesterday as the Cheb evokes those two for me. I had forgotten that the tail on the CRK was all but identical to the one I'd just done and decided to do the same on the AB as the bead on that knife was one of my several blue glass ones that often serve as placeholders until I find something I like for a particular knife.

So... These three have the same cords--550 Moonstruck-- same knots, and very similar beads from the same maker at the artsy/craftsy site. As I wrote over at the EDC thread, it's kinda like dressing all your kids the same, a practice which may lie somewhere between creepy and Walmartian. :rolleyes:

View attachment 2309369

Here's the iMamba I just tied up and carried solo today. I finally remembered to do the G2 twist when starting my Diamond Knots, but didn't think to do it when tying the one behind the bead, which should serve keep the two knots in the same plane. I actually don't mind the twist leading to the first knot as it helps keep the cord out of the way without the need of a whipping knot--another G2 technique that I've yet to try despite having long ago purchased two skeins of waxed cord.

View attachment 2309374

View attachment 2309377
Nice work and nice knife and bead too.

As to twisting the cord, I do that on just the one side of the bead, as the other side any twist will be down inside the tube of the bead so I don't bother trying it on that side at all.
And if you tie the first knot and find that the loop is badly twisted and you have room to shorten the loop, what I do is to pull one strand up out of the knot, shortening the loop a bit, and then with my pliers I'll twist the paracord that I pulled up from the knot in a clockwise direction, very close to the knot so that ends up twisting the loop into a more even looking loop and not twisted.

It's more apparent on my keychains because of the larger loop, this one had a twist in it but was able to 'untangle' it using the twisting of my pliers.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

On this and a lot of fix blades, I'll just do what I call a bobtail fob, just enough for my pinky to anchor on to, using a wide diamond knot. Also note that instead of having the whipping knot near the handle, I have it up close to the knot, this just limits the size of the loop without stopping it from being free swinging, up close to the handle would limit the travel and not having a whipping knot would allow too much play.

The tails are there just for a decorative touch, otherwise you can cut them off about 1/8" and then melt them and push it against a polished metal surface to make a smooth finish.
G2

Got the big brother to the small one, has jade scales...for now...so I used some green paracord for the bobtail fob, getting in some black micarta scales.

I also removed the belt clip and replaced it with one of my swivel belt loops using one of the existing holes, makes it handy when you go to sit down as you can swivel the sheath up out of the way.

G2

Last edited:
It is starting to get a chill in the air, first of October and all ;) this is one of my favorite beads, I've a few but this one has some neat features,

ancient Chinese seal characters more than 2000 years ago--"Fu Jia Tian Xia", it means "All the wealth of the world", and the turtle shell has been regarded as a mascot for wealth and luck

I've a few other beads that are also my fav's as well, this one was added not too long ago to the array.
G2

Back