The Pathfinder Club - Members Only!

Pathfinder is my favorite Buck, and it will do everything (knife related) well. Lots of utility in a lightweight rig. I’m not sure how well it performs as a “fighter”……, but, I’m fairly sure a Glock 43 would be better.

Reactions: TAH
I'm not sure how I missed this thread... there are some fantastic examples of these knives here and the exotic handle options over the years, WOW!

I'm still going to show my one and only, a more recent standard model 105 Pathfinder... I really do love it :)

Buck_102_105_b.jpg

Ok a nice 105 with a 102 on top? You can see the big difference. I guess the 118 would fit inbetwee those two?

Ok i was liking all these series 100 for some EDC carry and the woodsmans 4 inch blade would be perfect but the handle too small. 118 will be the way to go at 4 1/2 inch but what about the 103 skinner. Like the frontiersman i like the wider blade look and its a 4inch blade and a bigger handle. Not sure what most dont like about it?

The 103 is a dedicated skinner. You need more of a point to get you started.

My feeling is there are three groups in the 100 series.

The clip points because that is the classic American hunting knife. Buck made what they knew the buyers wanted. Not an original Buck design.

The skinner and the caper. Dedicated blades for a specific purpose. Again not original Buck designs.

Then the pathfinder and personal. Well thought out designs that can pierce to start the cuts and are very upswept for skinning. A real do all design available in two sizes.

Then the fisherman 121 should be the fourth group. It was a great flexible filet knife that has evolved into a bigger pathfinder.

The 124 is in a class by itself and really has not much in common with the rest of the 100 series.

Ok i’m in the market for a small fixed blade that will be used for edc self defense but maintaining a traditional design. I find anything over 4 inches leaves a little too much sticking out beyond my untucked shirt tail. That wont stop me from carrying a Kalinga from time to time but just looking for a fixed blade to alternate from my 110,112
EDC carry options.

What is up with those old promo materials showing that logo of a pathfinder being hammered through a bolt? Is that something they advertised with? Would you ever do that to yours?

It always struck me as a bold add campaign and logo. I wonder how many knives were returned with ruined blades from trying it with a grade 8 bolt!

I loved looking at Buck Knives in Outdoor Life and at H. L. Hodges Hardware Co. in the late 1960's & early 70's - that logo enthralled me - I just couldn't imagine how a knife could cut through a bolt - had to be special. When I finally got my first Buck Knife, a 301 my Grandma bought me in early 1973, you couldn't have paid me gold to get me to try cutting a bolt with my precious pocketknife! I still have that knife and have NEVER tried to cut through a bolt. OH

That logo is still on the shield of the 300 series pocketknives Buck makes in Idaho - (the pocketknives with the black Valox handles). OH
Ps look close at the logo on this box (from my Buck 105 made in 1966).
Buck-105-1966-box-lable.jpg

That logo is still on the shield of the 300 series pocketknives Buck makes in Idaho - (the pocketknives with the black Valox handles). OH
Ps look close at the logo on this box (from my Buck 105 made in 1966).
Buck-105-1966-box-lable.jpg
Thanks Old Hunter Old Hunter , for the clarification. I had considered that that may be what was being talked about, but I wasn’t sure. I thought maybe there, at one time, may have been a different promo that actually showed a 105 being pounded through a real bolt! I’m glad that it was just this simple drawing, and no Bucks were harmed in the making of this promo! ;):eek::rolleyes::thumbsup:

Back