The Perfect Pocket Knife.

J jackknife
Great post, Carl.
I didn't think much about what pocket knife I was carrying, as I was growing up. It was whatever my dad gave me. For along time it was a Cub Scout knife I got at 7 years old or so. Then it was a small Stockman that came from a Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco promotion, carried from maybe 14 years old, through high school into college, through my years in the Air Force and after.
At some time in the late 70s early 80s I picked up a few Pumas and Gerbers and then the internet came along.....oh boy it was all over then.
Many knives went into my pocket and out of my pocket. All I can say is that this Lloyd trapper is my most carried, most loved, does whatever I need it to knife I own, for quite a few years now. Sure there are still others that I admire, that make me smile, bring back memories and that I would never give away, but the Lloyd has that most carried, most admired, perfect for me place, at this time in my life.
This pandemic is keeping me away from my daughter and granddaughter in New Mexico. The hat picture is making me think about it. I'm also going to be a great grandpa come January. I better be able to travel by then!
wCDzeKd.jpg

I think if I had a Lloyd like that, it would be my favorite for a very long time!

Absolutely gorgeous knife.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lighter may be more what I’m looking for. While I really like the ergos of the 86, it just feels bulky. While I haven’t handled the 92 I’d be curious about how it feels.

Single blade 86 sounds like it’d solve the bulky problem! :cool:
The only single blade 86 I have is the 2019 Forum knife. It does not feel bulky at all. The 92's, to me, feel better, but this is all subjective.
Having the two blades to choose from on the 92 makes it the winner in this contest, for me.

DEq1i5m.jpg

This 5OT rode in my pocket as a boy into my young adult life. It's a USA made stainless version and gets scary sharp. It was my favorite for many years. Then my dad got me a Kline stainless steel handle with wood inlay little pocket knife. It was around the same size as a peanut. He got me one just like his. I loved that knife for many years but along the way it slipped out of my pocket. I hope someone found it and appreciated like I did.

...So, the perfect pocket knife is one that cuts like the dickens?

Of course!

If it doesn't cut like the dickens, then it must not be that good a knife, as a knife's first and foremost duty is to cut.

The second quality of my perfect pocket knife is to be unnoticed when not needed. To be able to totally forget its there until I need to cut something. At that point, it has to cut like the dickens. :D

My knives were all perfect knives when I bought them. The majority are still perfect; perfectly unused. :D Priorities change over time and preferred knives change as well for me. I have a lot of unused knives and any new acquisition is just for the heck of it. I am not into rotating knives. I may use one for years and then change to a different one. I am perfectly comfortable with this. I just want something simple that cuts when I need it to.

My favorite is nothing fancy. It is a little brown delrin case peanut from their working series. It is simple and small but packs a big punch. It's my favorite because my kids gave it to me as a Christmas gift. Over the few years I have carried it, it has been a loyal companion cutting everything I need it to. It is starting to show some character as the jigging on the delrin is starting to smooth and flatten out and the blade is collecting scratches from use. It hasn't left my pocket once since the day I got it. I have large hands yet this little knife is comfortable to use. I love this little fella!
5xZ2zW4.jpg
20 years ago I wouldn't have thought this would work. Times change! Makes you think about what you actually do with a pocket knife. That peanut will cover most of my needs. I carry a Small Tinker which is a hair larger. The perfect slip joint is the one you like to carry and depend on.

kpeVjWo.jpg

Truth be told, I could be perfectly satisfied and comfortably set with just this one knife for pocket carry for the rest of my life...
it carries easily and un noticed in my pocket till needed, it has nice thin ground blades, takes a wicked edge, and has great walk & talk. Doesn't hurt that it's easy on the eyes and very comfortable in the hand. At the rate it has shown wear and tear, it probably has more years in it than I do...food for thought.

20 years ago I wouldn't have thought this would work. Times change! Makes you think about what you actually do with a pocket knife. That peanut will cover most of my needs. I carry a Small Tinker which is a hair larger. The perfect slip joint is the one you like to carry and depend on.

20 years ago my attitudes and needs were way different, and that was way different than 30 years ago. Time changes everything, and I mean everything. If you are a normal human being, your life will change as you age, and your attitudes on most things will change along with that. Its called evolution.

I think back on stuff I used to do in my younger days and now cringe at the thought of doing that now. For one thing, I can't. But I'll tell ya strait up, even if I could, I just don't want to. People change with age. Bat Masterson was a frontiersman, buffalo hunter, Wild West town marshal. But he lived the last third of his life in New York city working on the sports desk of the newspaper. When Teddy Roosevelt tried to make him U.S. Marshal to Oklahoma, Bat told the president that he was happy with his job in NYC and the Oklahoma territory was still too wooly for him. Wyatt Earp left the west and lived the rest of his life in Los Angeles and San Fransisco.

Theres very very few people who still want to do the things they did in their younger days. For my place, I just thank the lord I met a nice lady who tamed me down to a civilized level.

Now I'm the old guy with a 'pen knife' and I'm happy.

....I think back on stuff I used to do in my younger days and now cringe at the thought of doing that now. For one thing, I can't. But I'll tell ya strait up, even if I could, I just don't want to. People change with age.
You get smarter as you get older in terms of what's important (protect your body). Climbing a sheer cliff or very steep mountainside are things I don't want to do. Honestly. I think a could but I protect myself now as you start to realize that you don't heal as fast, rest up as fast (recover), or do what I consider "stupid stuff" just to do it. I do not jump off big logs or rocks.... Too easy to hurt yourself out in the boonies. I still like to wander around in the woods (off trail), but I suspect those days are somewhat numbered. If something happens, nobody will find you for possibly days.

Knife choices may change less as well as you become comfortable with what ya got.

Going trough my small collection and trying to be real and objective about my current uses for a pocket knife I'll have to pick my Victorinox Red Alox Cadet.

It's small and thin but not tiny. Well built and strong. The extra tools do come handy ( file is good to smooth nails in a pinch for string players )

When camping my blue Victorinox Farmer is unbeatable in it's usefulness. Last camping trip I used every single tool in it.

rzDBih7l.jpg

0pjCqTKl.jpg

Back