The Perfect Pocket Knife.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Jerbhola89

Jerbhola89 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2020
    I’m a 30yr old without any need for a cane whatsoever, but when I found one [a sword cane] at a yard sale a few years ago I had to buy it.

Yes; get one!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Cutfinger and Prester John like this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Take a look at the alox Electrician. Nice two layer SAK.

3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    That is nice. Thanks.

4. Hijo de Luna

Hijo de Luna Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ah yes, the glorious sickness

they look awesome and you can get them with a bottle opener in the rear of the blade.

standard, "scandi" grind or whatever it's called: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/friction-folder.1751131/
    custom, full flat grind: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/friction-folder.1751131/#post-20052344

pretty sure you can still order one or more ;)

I had to get one in each grind ("DICKENS" would have to be engraved on blade ground fully flat :))

it has a great blade for nipping cigars too!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  5. FLMacKnife

FLMacKnife Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 24, 2020
    Great write-up!

As other have said, the hunt continues, but for me there is one that I always come back to and that is this case copperhead pattern. It is very similar in dimension to a trapper, has two blades which I know find to be optimal, a clip point and smaller pen. It has half stops, and the F&F on it, the walk and talk, its just spot on. I really like the copperhead 'feature' that hides the edges of the closed blade stops. I have come to appreciate its dimensions and utility.

Trappers I find to be similar in usefulness and dimension, but I really like having that second smaller blade for situations that require more finness, opening an small package or something like that.

6. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Agree :thumbsup:
    Very nice knife :thumbsup:, it qualifies for "The perfect Pocket Knife" as per my current needs for one.
    I got one courtesy of @JohnDF GAW :):thumbsup:
    (I only wish they would make them with a key ring so I can attach it to my Victorinox Belt clip )

Time to pick it up and give it some pocket time :thumbsup:

7. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    This may be it!
    [​IMG]
    I'll let you know in a few weeks. :)

8. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    For me, this is one of the winners!!:thumbsup::D

[​IMG]

9. pipedreams308

pipedreams308 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    The Case Cooperhead is definitely a top contender for me, too.

10. Scoop65

Scoop65

Oct 29, 2005
    My first post in quite awhile. Love this thread but will have to post pics later.
    Just had my eighth chemo yesterday for Prostate Cancer. Vietnam caught up with me fifty years later. Please no sympathy reply’s. I just wanted to jump in with this thread
    NAM67

11. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I think you're right, red sparrow. The shield, the handles, the bolster, the blade and the size! A perfect combo IMO. I'll be kicking myself for a long time for missing out on the early reserve of that one.:oops:

redsparrow and Old Engineer like this.
  12. Jerbhola89

Jerbhola89 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Me too...

13. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    I like this modded SAK. Based on the Vic Compact it is small enough to be unobtrusive in my pocket, it's attractive, it fits my hand, has stainless blades and is overall almost indestructible, and is easy to care for and maintain. However, it not my favorite - go figure.:rolleyes:
    IMG_2253.JPG

14. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I got my first Barlow about 65 years ago & they've always been a favorite, along with the medium stockman. I discovered the Churchill a couple years ago & the blade combination & size just suits my needs perfectly.
    [​IMG]

15. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

16. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Nearly perfect.

867D3698-25F9-43F0-A152-BB0448B02C91.jpeg

17. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Ain't no such thing as perfect. The concept is too task-related. Even the best Remington Bullet Trapper Tony Bose ever made is a poor choice for a black tie affair.

Ultimately it all comes down to preference. Something to keep in mind should you get the urge to tell someone all they need is a _______.

Old Engineer, sitflyer and Cutfinger like this.
  18. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Me too, brother. Going for number 13 next week. If you were Navy check out the new Blue Water Disability Act.
    Semper fi

Scoop65 likes this.
  19. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    2nd that

20. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Been enjoying the knife talk and the aging old man talk in this thread - can identify with portions of each. Jackknife, our knife journeys track fairly close - I went from Official Cub Scout & Boy Scout knives throughout the 1960’s to a Buck 301 Stockman in the early 1970’s to a Schrade 108OT Small Stockman in the mid 1980’s to a SAK until the late 1990’s when I went back to a (Medium) Stockman. I still favor a Medium Stockman and carry one or another of them 80% of the time - I just keep rotating back to that combination of blades and they do all I need with the exception of cleaning big game and gamefish. Many other knives were sprinkled in, but the above mentioned had good long rides and served me well. I go on Medicare in one week (but that ain’t old - yet!) OH