The Perfect Pocket Knife.

....Every single knife I have owned has been at one time the perfect pocket knife.
Same here, sorta.... but I have purchased enough knives that I know that certain knives aren't likely to be used regardless of liking them enough to buy. The forum knives fall into that category in most cases.

My life experience has never included rescue experiences or any self defense with a handgun or gun in general although I have been in a few situations where I suspect the "other person" knew I had a gun on me and didn't push things to the point of self defense or aggression.

I don’t even have it yet but it’s the NEXT perfect pocket knife.View attachment 1444205
Those (#74's) are quite nice. I am waiting for the Rattlers (#19's) to be finished and I think I'll pick one up. I suspect that one of those will be my next knife purchase prior to the forum knife being completed and distributed. I have a couple low 70's frames already. The iron wood on those I have seen pictures of is quite nice.

My life experience has never included rescue experiences or any self defense with a handgun or gun in general although I have been in a few situations where I suspect the "other person" knew I had a gun on me and didn't push things to the point of self defense or aggression.

Thats the thing about emergencies, they happen without warning. Whatever you have on you will do. Like the guy who cut his own arm off with a cheep Chinese knock off of a small Leatherman tool. He had to sharpen it on a rock to do the job, but it did the job. Or the guy who was cutting down a tree with a chainsaw, and it fell on his leg and he had to cut off his own leg to get out of there. He used a Chinese knock off gas station folder to do it.

Theres been soooo many instances of people in bad spots that use some little pocket knife of dubious origin to cut in an emergency. Or some little pocket pistol for the defense of themselves in a tight spot. The self inflated guru's will tell you that you need a minimum state of the art tacticool hand gun with at least three spare magazines, and a tacticool folding bowie just to make it to the store for a carton of milk.

The truth is usually somewhat less. And the pocket knife they had on them at the time, like the guy with the Chinese Leatherman trapped by a boulder on his arm, it was the perfect knife at that time. Everything else was back home.

Last edited:
BTW... I may have ordered what I think will be the "perfect pocket knife".
If the F&F is on point then it could fill the roll of pocket hog for some time to come. I'll let you know.
It checks the boxes for nostalgia, manufacturer, pattern, blade shape, number of blades, and handle material.

I found my "perfect" knife a decade ago.

12680698513_f55971c965_c.jpg

It checks all the boxes -- size, single blade preference, aesthetics, materials, and craftsmanship. Even the blade shape has turned out to be my favorite using profile.

I still bought a bunch of knives since then. I'm still buying them. I buy knives because I like knives, not because I'm on some mystical Grail quest.

we want to know what you ordered NOW
I've wanted a 3-1/2" single clip blade Barlow for a while now. I like a single blade, I like a clip blade, and I really like the historical nature of a Barlow knife. Not being able to touch anything made by GEC I've turned my search elsewhere. I came close to buying a Case when they were released, but I prefer wood handles on my user knives. I'd been eyeballing the Boker Barlow knives, but I'd never owned a Boker and the price made me not want to risk buying one. But low-and-behold I found one at a great price that finally has me trying one out. Single clip blade, 440C steel, Blackwood, smooth finished pins, and from what I can tell it has really good F&F. So I'm excited to finally get to try one at a comfortable price. :cool::thumbsup:

I've wanted a 3-1/2" single clip blade Barlow for a while now. I like a single blade, I like a clip blade, and I really like the historical nature of a Barlow knife. Not being able to touch anything made by GEC I've turned my search elsewhere. I came close to buying a Case when they were released, but I prefer wood handles on my user knives. I'd been eyeballing the Boker Barlow knives, but I'd never owned a Boker and the price made me not want to risk buying one. But low-and-behold I found one at a great price that finally has me trying one out. Single clip blade, 440C steel, Blackwood, smooth finished pins, and from what I can tell it has really good F&F. So I'm excited to finally get to try one at a comfortable price. :cool::thumbsup:
Mate looking forward to seeing photos when it arrives.;)

Nice John JohnDF JohnDF :thumbsup: Congrats ! :)

I have actually been thinking for quite a while about a single blade clip barlow too.
I am a big fan of the pattern.
I have the GEC 77 African blackwood spear point and the logical thing to me was to get a smaller clip blade barlow to complement it and have everything covered.
Naturally a TC barlow is out of the question these days.
I kicked myself for not getting the cv case last year that went into the vault.

I just looked at some pics online of the boker barlow and it certainly has piqued my interest.
Cant' wait to see your pics and hear your impressions :thumbsup:

edit: just checked again and the Case CV was a two blade knife actually ... so I am not kicking myself anymore about that one lol

Last edited:
the logical thing to me was to get a smaller clip blade barlow
I know, right?
A single blade, 3-1/2", Clip Blade Barlow with Blackwood handles sounds absolutely perfect.
To be very hosest, I wish it didn't have a shield in the handles, but I think I can look past that.

Mate looking forward to seeing photos when it arrives
Cant' wait to see your pics and hear your impressions
There will definitely be pictures and reviews. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mate looking forward to seeing photos when it arrives.;)
I too am interested to hear about it. I've been eyeing their carbon steel offerings in my favorite catalog for a couple of years. Just haven't pulled the trigger

Looking forward to seeing it.

Back