The Perfect Pocket Knife.

BTW... I may have ordered what I think will be the "perfect pocket knife".
If the F&F is on point then it could fill the roll of pocket hog for some time to come. I'll let you know.
It checks the boxes for nostalgia, manufacturer, pattern, blade shape, number of blades, and handle material.

It says Friday or Saturday. :D

But low-and-behold I found one at a great price that finally has me trying one out. Single clip blade, 440C steel, Blackwood, smooth finished pins, and from what I can tell it has really good F&F. So I'm excited to finally get to try one at a comfortable price. :cool::thumbsup:

I feel so hyped for a knife that someone else bought :D - it’s awesome.

Can’t wait to see it!!

I've rarely carried a two-blade Barlow, but I like the single blade; it's much less clunky.
100% agree with you.
I feel a single clip blade Barlow is just about perfect.

I feel so hyped for a knife that someone else bought
I know what you mean... I get excited to see what others are excited to buy. :cool::thumbsup:

JK, nice thread. I have read all of it in one sitting. Even though she had me assigned to another project.
Like many of you responders I have awakened to the fact time has shadowed me and I am an OF even if I don't want to be.
Bad knees that need replaced, cow valve in my chest, a collection of dried staves of special species, the stepping away from the "hand cannon" mode, being careful to protect myself and wife from a virus and the satisfaction of a nice looking small knife have settled on my shoulders and branded me OF. I am grey enough that I am getting a few "Sirs" and "do you need some help carrying that", sometimes I do. My father taught me 'tinkering" so my favorite old Buck branded Cami has been rescaled with some burl wood by me and is carefully carried and maintained. Enjoyed the comments of the group, many of who I have seen here for the last 15 years. (Another OF sign)
standard.jpg

The only way for me to close Pandora's Box on this "perfect pocket knife" dilemma is to temper my emotions, keep aesthetics out of it and take Carl's advice to look at a snapshot of my life right now. I'm 46 years old, I sit at a desk for 50 hours a week and the rest of the time is spent on chores / odds / ends around the house. So right now my perfect pocket knives are:

WORK PANTS POCKET- Alox Cadet
SAKFALL.JPG

CHORE PANTS POCKET- Old Timer Stockman
OT.JPG

On a side note, I did go 8 months without buying a knife... Now I bought 3 in 2 days. See you in the Old Knives thread :D

Last edited:
The only way for me to close Pandora's Box on this "perfect pocket knife" dilemma is to temper my emotions, keep aesthetics out of it and take Carl's advice to look at a snapshot of my life right now. I'm 46 years old, I sit at a desk for 50 hours a week and the rest of the time is spent on chores / odds / ends around the house. So right now my perfect pocket knives are:

WORK PANTS POCKET- Alox Cadet
View attachment 1446125

CHORE PANTS POCKET- Old Timer Stockman
View attachment 1446127

On a side note, I did go 8 months without buying a knife... Now I bought 3 in 2 days. See you in the Old Knives thread :D

There are MANY knives that would be worse choices than those two, and very, very few that would be better.
I was thinking the other day that if I HAD to be limited to only one knife from now on, it very likely would be some form of the SAK, because of the tools that can be very useful, such as the phillips screwdriver, awl, and scissors, bottle/can opener, and knife blade. That combination is difficult to beat, if you could only have "one".
The only thing close, if no SAK's are involved, would be a stockman of some variety. For me, it would be a sowbelly because they are so comfortable in use. A very close runner up would be the 29 stockyard whittler.

"and one knife to rule them all..... "
apologies to JRR Tolkien

My perfect knife tends to change about one time early in the year. Then I carry that knife almost exclusively until the next change. It’s not deliberate or scheduled but I have noticed the trend over the years. It’s makes me a boring contributor on the porch.

over the last hanful of years it has been an Schrade 834, Alox pioneer (RIP), peanut, gec 14, Moki, and now a small Vic tinker. I have no idea if/when I’ll change, I’m pretty happy with my tinker small. I do like how lazy I can be with stainless though I love 1095.

It turns out my perfect knife probably doesn’t exist. I like a clip main, small pen, and a flathead screwdriver/caplifter so I don’t do something stupid like pry with a blade. As you can see I carry pretty small knives.

My perfect knife tends to change about one time early in the year. Then I carry that knife almost exclusively until the next change. It’s not deliberate or scheduled but I have noticed the trend over the years. It’s makes me a boring contributor on the porch.

over the last hanful of years it has been an Schrade 834, Alox pioneer (RIP), peanut, gec 14, Moki, and now a small Vic tinker. I have no idea if/when I’ll change, I’m pretty happy with my tinker small. I do like how lazy I can be with stainless though I love 1095.

It turns out my perfect knife probably doesn’t exist. I like a clip main, small pen, and a flathead screwdriver/caplifter so I don’t do something stupid like pry with a blade. As you can see I carry pretty small knives.
This one is close... Has a punch instead of pen. I'm sure there is a clip/pen/caplifter with screwdriver out there somewhere
CCS-1B.JPG

It really is a great knife, has 2 liner locks, 1 for the punch and 1 for the screwdriver/caplifter. You can probably find one online for 30 bucks or less. ;)

Those liner locks are sooooo easy to add, I wonder why more traditional manufactures never added them as just a tiny bit of extra safety? Its just an extension of the brass liner like on the screw driver tool on the TL-29. Schrade had them on the Old Timer Mighty Mite and the single blade trapper looking number.

Back