The Perfect Pocket Knife.

ccs-1b-jpg.1446654
It's funny how they chose to put a lock on the tools, that can't hurt you if they close on you. :confused:

It's funny how they chose to put a lock on the tools, that can't hurt you if they close on you. :confused:
When you use the screwdriver and punch you put force into the ends, not the edge - so even a slight change of grip angle risks snapping them shut. With the blade I expect the designer assumes that most force is going into the edge, not the point. The point on a slipjoint is for starting cuts, not for hard stabbing. So no need for a lock there.

Obviously, lots of people have come around to thinking you need a lock on knife blades, too. But I suspect it's not needed for 99% of knife use (I can get along fine 100% without a lock). My multitool doesn't have a lock on the screwdriver blade, but I'd buy a new one if they started offering the same model but with a lock.

-Tyson

When you use the screwdriver and punch you put force into the ends, not the edge - so even a slight change of grip angle risks snapping them shut.
Millions have been using the tools on their SAKs for lots and lots of years,
I haven't heard of too many emergency room visits from using the screwdrivers. :D

JK, nice thread. I have read all of it in one sitting. Even though she had me assigned to another project.
Like many of you responders I have awakened to the fact time has shadowed me and I am an OF even if I don't want to be.
Bad knees that need replaced, cow valve in my chest, a collection of dried staves of special species, the stepping away from the "hand cannon" mode, being careful to protect myself and wife from a virus and the satisfaction of a nice looking small knife have settled on my shoulders and branded me OF. I am grey enough that I am getting a few "Sirs" and "do you need some help carrying that", sometimes I do. My father taught me 'tinkering" so my favorite old Buck branded Cami has been rescaled with some burl wood by me and is carefully carried and maintained. Enjoyed the comments of the group, many of who I have seen here for the last 15 years. (Another OF sign)
standard.jpg
It sure looks like you did a FINE JOB on your Buck my friend . What kind of burl is it ???

Harry

JK, nice thread. I have read all of it in one sitting. Even though she had me assigned to another project.
Like many of you responders I have awakened to the fact time has shadowed me and I am an OF even if I don't want to be.
Bad knees that need replaced, cow valve in my chest, a collection of dried staves of special species, the stepping away from the "hand cannon" mode, being careful to protect myself and wife from a virus and the satisfaction of a nice looking small knife have settled on my shoulders and branded me OF. I am grey enough that I am getting a few "Sirs" and "do you need some help carrying that", sometimes I do. My father taught me 'tinkering" so my favorite old Buck branded Cami has been rescaled with some burl wood by me and is carefully carried and maintained. Enjoyed the comments of the group, many of who I have seen here for the last 15 years. (Another OF sign)
standard.jpg

Yeah, it sounds like you've ticked off many of the warning signs of O.F. stage setting in. A dangerous condition if ignored and not dealt with. Yes, the knees make a good stick no longer optional, but mandatory on some surfaces. They told me 2 years ago that I was about 2 years from a knee replacement, and I've been eeking it out and maybe can stretch it another year or so.

Hand cannons are a thing of the past, that recoil is hell on the arthritis and carpel tunnel syndrome. Mild shooting .22 revolvers like S&W 317 and Ruger LCR are the new norm. And a nice small knife that just cuts what we need to cut something is a nice light weight item to have in the pocket. A 'gentlemanly knife' is suited for the respectable O.F. person in question.

I've got use to younger people that have been raise with manners holding the door for my wife and I, and I don't feel guilty at all of taking advantage of the 'senior citizen and disabled parking spaces close to the door. I like the senior citizen Wednesday specials and other deals that will save a bit of our social security check.

We've worked hard to get to the O.F. status, and survived many things that some of our friends have not. Its been a long hard, sometimes dangerous and dirty trip, but we made it. Theres been some things broken along the way with some pins and screws put in that we weren't born with, some operations here and there, some things like gall bladder or torn cartilage removed. Now I'm gonna enjoy having the door held or some strapping young guy carry something to my car for me.

Last edited:
I’m certainly not an old fart yet, but a few weeks ago I had a pinched nerve in my back. Was difficult to walk straight. I was leaving the grocery store and using the cart for support and when I was leaving I had an elderly lady ask me if need help to my car :confused:

As almost everyone has expressed (including me earlier on) there really is no perfect knife that would cover all situations. That said, I almost never only carry one knife - mainly due to that reason.

I’ve found a pair that works for me and I’m finding it hard to switch them out; The B&S and the 62 seem to be my perfect duo right now.

B&S
The blade is just the right length for nearly any daily task including some food prep. The comb comes in handy after I take off my mask. And while the fork is a bit off a toss up for me, the cap lifter is always useful when needed.

I like having a blade geared toward “utility”; cutting open boxes and packages and anything that really needs a draw cut. The wharncliffe is a perfect size. Plus I get a small secondary blade for opening letters, cutting threads, and minor tasks as well.

Another key factor is being able to carry both together, back to back, in the same slip. It really adds to the usability.

For now anyway, it may be my “Perfect Knife” paring.

8FF1D537-F367-4166-96D5-46C57F629FD5.jpeg

JohnDF JohnDF Glad to see it arrive safely!! It looks great - smooth, sleek and sophisticated!

Did it hit all the points on your list?

(Also saw your review, so it sounds like it mostly did).

Jer- Was it the purple one or the white one?
It was a blue one with a shiny golden shield. I haven't found the shiny shield yet. The white one is my best condition-wise.

(sorry I never saw your quote till now)
[edited to add, the blue/purple one does have the shiny shield, but it's the wrong blue.]

Last edited:
This one is close... Has a punch instead of pen. I'm sure there is a clip/pen/caplifter with screwdriver out there somewhere
View attachment 1446654

Imperial version
The Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett above it may not be the perfect pocket knife, but good enough that it’s been “in pocket” since 1961 an on its 3rd set of scales
image.jpg

Back