The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

This is a Day 7 & 8 update (with more to add possibly before Day #8 is over):

I am now just past a week with this exercise and it's been terrific. Like with most knives in extended user periods, this 97 sweetens with use and age, young as it may be yet. The walk-n-talk sings better and better with each day and the smoothness of its action is rather sublime. In fact, I handed the knife to my brother the other day for him to take a look at and he was rather impressed with how smooth its operation is. My brother is not the collector that I am but he has a deep appreciation for a quality tool and this 97 certainly made an impression.

This exercise requires me to make a somewhat conscious decision each day. Where in the past, I would go to my knife chest and make a selection each morning, this 97 remains on my nightstand and I simply put it in my pocket upon wakening. It will be interesting to see how my philosophies are shaped at the conclusion of the month of carry.

One of the sure signs of a regular user with a high carbon steel blade and back spring is the darkening of the blade spine as well as spring - my 97 is no exception to this and it's been fun seeing that patina develop. In addition to this, the bolsters are beginning to dull and the brass liners are losing their luster. There is a lot of time left in this exercise, I am curious what it will look like at the end.

WP6sCnT.jpg

My morning coffee and a rare treat I indulged in - a breakfast smoke (I usually don't smoke until the evening but it was a nice cool morning today).

idEbMTl.jpg

TprA7sh.jpg
What kinda coffee cup is that? Very cool stuff

Day #9 continued:

Pickles, tomatoes, apples, and cucumbers - all fell before the mighty #97. Picture below is of fresh produce that I picked from my garden today.

jwGbS76.jpg

The blade accompanied me under my house as I took a closer look at a plumbing leak - not excited about that really... Despite the 97 not getting brought out while I inspected my pipes, it's always nice knowing you have a capable blade at the ready.

Still in the midst of my kitchen remodel so I'm waiting for my wife to bring home dinner - she was out picking new countertops. While I wait, I think I'll have a dram and a smoke.

SaTR1fb.jpg

Tomorrow sees me doing my joyous civic duty and attending grand jury. During orientation the other week, we were told to bring some reading material as there is always "down time" between hearing cases. I get to do this every Wednesday until the end of next month.

The 97 will be in my pocket and I'll be bringing along a couple of classics that I'm in the middle of reading again.

rqcU8kO.jpg

Good luck getting a knife in a courthouse where I live (NY).......

What kinda coffee cup is that? Very cool stuff

My apologies for the late reply - it's been a busy week. That cup is called a kuksa - it is a modern take on a traditional Sami (or Laplander) cup. Typically they are carved from birch burl but this one is made of a wood fiber composite.

It is lightweight and quite rugged - one of my favorites.

Good luck getting a knife in a courthouse where I live (NY).......

I've been to New York many times and though I enjoy visiting when I do, I am rather happy that I don't live there.

My experiment is well underway (Day #19) and I've still not been inclined to deviate from my purpose. The 97 has proven to be a very fine knife and I've very much enjoyed learning about the pattern, its history, and it's efficacy as a everyday user.

I'm still researching and learning and have reached out to more knowledgeable folks and with the help I've received from them, I hope to have a rather comprehensive history post soon. I've been rather busy this week so I haven't had a whole lot of time.

I did receive a new #97 (the first of many that are on their way). This is one of the rarer club knives (I was told like 28 pieces or such) and I was intrigued by the fact that it has the same covers as my Tidioute - just in Northfield trim.

Comparing the two is fun. Where mine shows the patina of use, the mellowing of bone, and the character imparted by regular carry, the Northfield is all crisp, sharp, and bright.

I love having examples with similar bone and two classic shields - the Tidioute and UN-X-LD.

qNqTOIo.jpg

73ZYrhb.jpg

aqWZFYE.jpg

aWPhtyC.jpg

My experiment is well underway (Day #19) and I've still not been inclined to deviate from my purpose. The 97 has proven to be a very fine knife and I've very much enjoyed learning about the pattern, its history, and it's efficacy as a everyday user.

I'm still researching and learning and have reached out to more knowledgeable folks and with the help I've received from them, I hope to have a rather comprehensive history post soon. I've been rather busy this week so I haven't had a whole lot of time.

I did receive a new #97 (the first of many that are on their way). This is one of the rarer club knives (I was told like 28 pieces or such) and I was intrigued by the fact that it has the same covers as my Tidioute - just in Northfield trim.

Comparing the two is fun. Where mine shows the patina of use, the mellowing of bone, and the character imparted by regular carry, the Northfield is all crisp, sharp, and bright.

I love having examples with similar bone and two classic shields - the Tidioute and UN-X-LD.

qNqTOIo.jpg

73ZYrhb.jpg

aqWZFYE.jpg

aWPhtyC.jpg

Excellent score!

I received an SFO 97 today yesterday myself:

C08-F8-E08-F941-4-E4-F-92-EE-4309218-B5177.jpg

I’ve kept the blade closed as it spells out the name of a possible competing forum. :D
Beautiful second knives, fellas! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m still enjoying mine too. I have to say, I really appreciate the pull on this compared to my 23. I used it to slice up some limes for beverages last night...
lX1SFdJ.jpg

Alright, folks. The month is drawing to a close - please accept my apologies for not providing much in the way of updates the past week. Being that I reside in the PNW, I've had much more pressing things on my mind as of late.

Despite my region's troubles, I've still managed to adhere to my experiment and have kept the 97 on my person, with it being the primary cutting tool that I use or reach for in most, if not all, cases. I am of a mind to expand on my experiment - choosing a 97 with the Northfield trim and its saber grind to carry for an additional month. I am still mulling this idea over and will update should I decide to follow through with it.

In the meantime, I managed to get my hands on an old Swell Center Hunter that is in terrific shape. A Continental Cutlery example, this knife is close to 100 years old. Matchstrike pull, saber ground blade, Ebony or Cocobolo covers, and a pinned Bowtie shield are all features that immediately grab my attention. The action is very tight and snappy - no play whatsoever - with a pull that is close to my GEC 23 in terms of weight. It is a fine knife with LOTS of life left in it. I've included some comparison shots below showing some of the differences between the antique and GEC's #97.

iyJdLt0.jpg

porfYLW.jpg

Note the differences in dimensions. The handle on the Continental is much longer, though the blade is only a touch longer than the 97's blade. Also, see how thin the knife is compared to the 97 - this Continental carries a lot lighter and easier than its size would otherwise indicate (a trait present in GEC's versions as well).

XKUBE27.jpg

eIdq52x.jpg

FvOShSS.jpg

I thoroughly enjoying this thread. I had long ago a Yellow Rose but didn’t carry it and did not particularly like the saber grind. However, after reading these posts I have decided to abandon the knife purchase I was contemplating and get a 97 Tidioute instead. So, I just ordered a new 97 in maroon micarta (one of my favorite covers). I too plan to carry it regularly and see how it does on a daily basis with a more open mind. I think I was unduly influenced by the negative criticism about the pull when they were first released. I have come to appreciate a lighter pull these days.

photos to follow.

Well this came today, I told Mike if he could send me one with a nice pull and snap I would order one. He was confident that he could and well here it is. Out of the tube the pull was a 4-5 with good action. After a good flush (may be the dirtiest knife I have ever had) it is a solid 5 with a very smooth action. Not sure I will carry it, however I have enough things around the house that this will come in handy for.
NsurkjM.jpg

Good evening, all.

I thought it was time I revisit the thread here. I've been taking a bit of a break since my "month with a 97" concluded - though I have gone to my user 97 on more than one occasion since, I've allowed myself to enjoy some of my other knives as well.

My month long exercise was rather enlightening and some of the observations I made along the way have me thinking on what a lovely hobby we all enjoy - with all of its nuances, choices, and variety. We are a rather eccentric sort - our fascination and enthusiasm for cutting tools allows us insights and such that many folks would never even dream of. However, I digress a bit...

I have come to rather enjoy this pattern - though evidence demonstrates that GEC's take on the large Coke Bottle (or large swell center hunter) has it running smaller than many of its predecessors, it is still a large knife by the standards of many here. Not only is it comfortable to carry and use, I've grown so accustomed to it in my short time of exclusive use that it is hard for me to choose a different knife at the start of my day. It is an efficient cutting tool that is as much a joy to use in the kitchen and at the dinner table as it is for day to day cutting tasks - the only shortcoming it has is that in the many instances where I find that I prefer a straight edged blade like a Lambsfoot, it does not at all compare.

I've come to enjoy this pattern so much that I have definitely developed a preference for it and it has me seeking out other examples (vintage and contemporary) and has also motivated me to try and collect the entire run that GEC manufactured last year.

So far, I've been moderately successful.

This Tidioute tells the story of use and carry quite well, I think.

Ortm8vu.jpg

My research into GEC's production of this model has led me to conclude that 14 different variants were made (if there are others, I would definitely be appreciative of the correction).
  • 6 General Production variants (3 Northfield - 3 Tidioute)
  • 3 SFOs (non Club affiliated)
  • 4 Club Knives
  • 1 Special Factory Assembly
I have managed to secure all but 3 so far - 2 Club knives and a General Production variant. This is the first time I've ever embarked on this sort of collecting venture and I am pleased with my progress so far.

Here is the General Run (Stag, Ebony, Smooth Yellow Bone, Jigged Bone, and Maroon Linen Micarta so far) - note the missing Jigged Cherry with Beaver Shield (on the list, for sure, and should prove the easiest to acquire).

SHYzjYC.jpg

Here is the group of SFOs - Waynorth Cutlery, American Whittler, and Kifer Cutlery Classics.

MJI88PP.jpg

Club Knives (AAPK, Chattahoochee Cutlery Club) - Note the missing Oregon Knife Collectors Association and the Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association (These might prove difficult to find...)

AsWyoUK.jpg

Here is the Special Factory Assembly - only 22 made (this Coffeehouse Acrylic is pretty sweet!)

fDQGrIB.jpg

As you can imagine, I am rather excited about these. As of now, my plans are:
  1. Keep seeking out the missing variants and fill the holes in the run.
  2. Acquire a Tidioute in the Jigged Bone to keep mint while continuing to use the one I currently have.
  3. Acquire either a second Waynorth or a Northfield in Ebony (preferably the Waynorth) to have as a user - I'd like to continue my exercise with the different blade.
  4. Acquire a second in Micarta for a future re-cover project I have in mind.
  5. Continue to look for other good examples of the pattern (there is a Black Box Winchester that I am eyeing, as well as the Queen made M&G "Custer's Favorite").

Group Shot!

Q4xJiCI.jpg

The joys of collecting - 'tis fun stuff. I hope I haven't bored you all but I do appreciate you folks indulging my enthusiasm.

Sláinte!

9oQA4BD.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent scores, all! I'm only missing one or two of those myself, and ha! This means that two of the 22 Special Factory Assembly knives belong to people in this thread (you and I) :D

Like you, back when I first got into this pattern, I tracked down most of the special variants as well. Each has something unique and special about it, and I can highly recommend others enjoy the hunt themselves. Beautiful pictures as always.

Excellent scores, all! I'm only missing one or two of those myself, and ha! This means that two of the 22 Special Factory Assembly knives belong to people in this thread (you and I) :D

Like you, back when I first got into this pattern, I tracked down most of the special variants as well. Each has something unique and special about it, and I can highly recommend others enjoy the hunt themselves. Beautiful pictures as always.

Thank you, Forrest. The journey for me (albeit relatively short thus far) has been very enjoyable. I think you had a leg up on me and were likely able to get when the getting was a bit easier for some of these. That said, I was very fortunate to have a member here reach out to me and offer up his entire lineup - which made the hunt for these rather simpler.

I am pretty pleased to have been able to score a couple of the rarer ones though (particularly the SFA and the CCC club knife).

Fantastic thread and collection Dylan, and I agree, collecting tis fun;):)

Thank you, Paul - this really has been a blast so far.

It's exciting when somebody finds a pattern they enjoy so much.
Your collection is wonderful and i can't wait to see you complete it some day. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you very much, John. I can't wait to find the missing pieces either - who knows how long it could take? All part of the fun.

Here are some fun statistics (and some interesting observations) with regards to the GEC 97 run:

General Run:
  • Northfield Stag - 364 pieces
  • Northfield Gabon Ebony - 762 pieces
  • Northfield Texas Rose - 892 pieces
  • Tidioute Autumn Gold Jigged Bone - 801 pieces
  • Tidioute Jigged Brazilian Cherry - 824 pieces
  • Tidioute Maroon Linen Micarta - 724 pieces
SFOs:
  • Waynorth African Blackwood - 103 pieces
  • Kifer Amber Jigged Bone - 100 pieces
  • R. Humenick (American Whittler) Antique Yellow Peach Seed Jigged Bone - 52 pieces (Happy to find this total - that one I wasn't sure about)
Club Knives:
  • AAPK Chestnut Worm Groove Jigged Bone - 103 pieces
  • AMKCA Autumn Gold Jigged Bone - 27 pieces (blessing and a curse, I suppose, it will be harder to find but a prize indeed once I do)
  • CCC Autumn Gold Jigged Bone - 27 pieces
  • OKCA Antique Yellow Peach Seed Jigged Bone - 105 pieces
SFA (Special Factory Assembly):
  • Tidioute Coffeehouse Acrylic - 22 pieces
Some further observations that I found interesting while perusing the production totals - it most definitely has my curiosity piqued:
  • A blurb about a separate grouping of Tidioutes in Autumn Gold Jigged Bone - 18 pieces (Not sure if this was a separate group with a different shield or simply a typo)
In addition to the above, there is a group of Northfields that piqued my curiosity something fierce:
  • Northfield Gabon Ebony with a propeller shield :eek: - 9 pieces
  • Northfield African Blackwood - 7 pieces (no mention of shield... Looks like these also came with Propeller shield)
  • Northfield Antique Gold Jigged Bone - 41 pieces (no mention of shield...) ***One seen in the wild indicates that this run also had a Propeller shield but the count doesn't quite match - 39 pieces***
  • Northfield Smooth Yellow Bone - 11 pieces (no mention of shield... Propeller shield confirmed on these as well)
It would seem that my work has only yet begun and I've got some real rare birds to discover and hunt down.

As ol' Sherlock would say, "The game is afoot!".

Last edited:
Thank you, Forrest. The journey for me (albeit relatively short thus far) has been very enjoyable. I think you had a leg up on me and were likely able to get when the getting was a bit easier for some of these. That said, I was very fortunate to have a member here reach out to me and offer up his entire lineup - which made the hunt for these rather simpler.

I am pretty pleased to have been able to score a couple of the rarer ones though (particularly the SFA and the CCC club knife).

That definitely makes sense. It took me a month or two track most of mine down, although I did it last year when the general consensus was "The #97s are terrible" and no one wanted them, so I paid VERY fair prices for all of my SFO/Club knives. That made it a lot easier for me, for sure! :D

- statistical snip -

As ol' Sherlock would say, "The game is afoot!".

Those are some interesting numbers, and make me appreciate the ones I have all the more. Also, man, they sure did love the Autumn Gold Jig bone on this frame, didn't they? As for my collection of the GEC #97s, I I will end up picking up a couple more that I've kept tabs on (and still need to grab the Maroon Micarta, but those are plentiful and available), but all of those ultra small-run Northfields, I'll probably pass on. My appreciation for the Coke Bottle pattern has me branching out into other companies (both past and present) who have made knives in this pattern that definitely have me interested!

Those are some interesting numbers, and make me appreciate the ones I have all the more. Also, man, they sure did love the Autumn Gold Jig bone on this frame, didn't they? As for my collection of the GEC #97s, I I will end up picking up a couple more that I've kept tabs on (and still need to grab the Maroon Micarta, but those are plentiful and available), but all of those ultra small-run Northfields, I'll probably pass on. My appreciation for the Coke Bottle pattern has me branching out into other companies (both past and present) who have made knives in this pattern that definitely have me interested!

Yeah, yellow and gold were certainly the flavor of the month then... For a run that consisted of close to 5000 pieces, I suppose it made it easier for them to whip out a bunch of variants. That said, it's a pretty popular color for GEC, they use it on a lot of their runs - maybe they have that dyeing down to a science or it's harder to mess up with regards to consistency.

I have not been able to dredge up any info with regards to those really small runs - for all I know, they were private ventures or "store only" models. I may end up reaching out to GEC and maybe some of the folks here who attend the Rendezvous or go to the factory on occasion.

I've been eyeballing some of the Queen and S&M large coke bottles (there is even a S&M "stabber jack" that has me quite curious). Their spotty QC has me cautious though. I've mostly been checking out vintage examples - which, interestingly enough, fetch really high prices. I suspect that the popularity of the pattern faded in the early 20th century and as a result, many of the more pristine examples go for big bucks. If I ever get to go to the OKCA Show again, I recall there being a lot of Coke Bottles to peruse, I hope that continues to be the case now that I am a bit more versed.

Back