1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by wlfryjr, Jan 8, 2014.

1. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Here is a comparison from left to right of the large (4", common farmers jack size) Southington and the smaller (3 3/4") Southington,A Fields( made by Schatt and Morgan), Schatt and Morgan, and Holley.Compared to the Southington the Holley and Schatt look well used. I would have never thought the 3 3/4" Southington's pruning blade was as robust as it is. Pruning blades and spear blades will fool you unless you have a verifiable unused comparison.

On the other hand,the Holley is fuller than you think and the Schatt is near full, why....? The pruning blades were never that robust, as the Southington. They are a slimmer peach pruning type blade. Cuts in a 1915 Holley catalog and a Schatt catalog shows the slimmer design, although my Schatt has ebony handles.
    I couldn't keep the tribe still.

Comparisons of large Southington and small Southington   A Fields  Schatt and Holley535.jpg Holley 1915  catalog  262.jpg Schatt and Morgan FJ.JPG

Travman, Old Engineer, ISKRA and 7 others like this.
  2. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Another 4" unused Lockwood Bro. I think most of these came about years after WWII.Looks like this one got too close to a celluloid gasser. Lockwood Bros519.jpg Lockwood Bros521.jpg Lockwood Bros520.jpg

Travman, Old Engineer, tmd_87 and 9 others like this.
  3. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Lyle, really like the Southington's, surprised they made 2 sizes. The Southington's I've handled have been very high quality knives.

tmd_87 likes this.
  4. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I scored this sweet orchard gem! So excited, it's been in my pocket since I got it. The pruning blade is super useful! Great at cutting twine, zip ties and even packages. I used it yester day to cut irrigation line and soil bags as I set up my garden. Not to mention the jigging on this is amazing!!
    IMG_20190614_112236.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    knowtracks, JohnDF, Travman and 10 others like this.
  5. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    If there ever will be a new prodcution run of the FJ's,
    a crest or a federal shield would be awesome!:rolleyes::)