The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

Here is a comparison from left to right of the large (4", common farmers jack size) Southington and the smaller (3 3/4") Southington,A Fields( made by Schatt and Morgan), Schatt and Morgan, and Holley.Compared to the Southington the Holley and Schatt look well used. I would have never thought the 3 3/4" Southington's pruning blade was as robust as it is. Pruning blades and spear blades will fool you unless you have a verifiable unused comparison.

On the other hand,the Holley is fuller than you think and the Schatt is near full, why....? The pruning blades were never that robust, as the Southington. They are a slimmer peach pruning type blade. Cuts in a 1915 Holley catalog and a Schatt catalog shows the slimmer design, although my Schatt has ebony handles.
I couldn't keep the tribe still.

Comparisons of large Southington and small Southington   A Fields  Schatt and Holley535.jpg Holley 1915  catalog  262.jpg Schatt and Morgan FJ.JPG

Lyle, really like the Southington's, surprised they made 2 sizes. The Southington's I've handled have been very high quality knives.

I scored this sweet orchard gem! So excited, it's been in my pocket since I got it. The pruning blade is super useful! Great at cutting twine, zip ties and even packages. I used it yester day to cut irrigation line and soil bags as I set up my garden. Not to mention the jigging on this is amazing!!
IMG_20190614_112236.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a comparison from left to right of the large (4", common farmers jack size) Southington and the smaller (3 3/4") Southington,A Fields( made by Schatt and Morgan), Schatt and Morgan, and Holley.Compared to the Southington the Holley and Schatt look well used. I would have never thought the 3 3/4" Southington's pruning blade was as robust as it is. Pruning blades and spear blades will fool you unless you have a verifiable unused comparison.

On the other hand,the Holley is fuller than you think and the Schatt is near full, why....? The pruning blades were never that robust, as the Southington. They are a slimmer peach pruning type blade. Cuts in a 1915 Holley catalog and a Schatt catalog shows the slimmer design, although my Schatt has ebony handles.
I couldn't keep the tribe still.

View attachment 1144559 View attachment 1144560 View attachment 1144562

Thanks for showing the old beauties and the comparison information!
The crest and federal shield look as good on this frame as the square bar and diamond, and (to rewrite my old comment) they sure would be amazing on some new FJ's:rolleyes:.
The GEC pruning blade of my smooth white bone LC#38 does a great job, but it is a little hard to sharpen for me. I do it free hand with a spyderco ceramic file slip stone and a leather stick, and understand why some of the older Farmer knive main blades look a little like sheepsfoot or curved spears :eek:;).
I kept one of the Lick Creek's and one of the Orchard Gems unused.
Just showed a little sun to them on a camping trip with my family this weekend...:)
The first picture is natural, second one with a little effect from my canon ixxus.
-mat

BX8y0fs.jpg

S9wl8kx.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks John. I think I “may” have all variations of the Schrade farmers jacks. Probably more out there stamped differently though, not SCCo, like my Bartlett Mfg and DE stamped ones.

Thanks Will. I am indebted to Charlie and especially Bill Howard.

Colors are beautiful on the old Schrades!
The handle of this pattern is so nice to carry, feels like it melts into the hand.

V1K3bvE.jpg

Total beauty that one!:cool: Rare is the knife I say I will not use & carry (if I like the pattern) but my version of the above and two Orchard Gems stay firmly indoors to be admired and looked after;) It's just too rare a pattern to risk, not 'scuffing up' etc but losing:eek::eek: I'm probably one of only a few people in Europe who has some of this pattern and as I've two excellent user examples, have to keep something in reserve...:)

Thanks fellas, I liked the outcome.
Me too Will, about carrying one. Paul Hillborn gave me this one, which I carry exclusively. I am a monogamist. :)
I let dealers have most of mine (to pay for the manufacturing cost), so I’ve been reticent to pack one.
Here’s Paul’s gift again. A later Lockwood Bros assembled from old parts ,it’s
presumed.
1868A76F-596A-4D0A-BE36-22F14E19F384.jpeg

Thanks Travis and Will for keeping this thread going.

Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Normal farmers jacks with this blade edge would peek out above the frame. Opinions, insights.

Thomas Turner069.jpg Thomas Turner072.jpg Thomas Turner077.jpg

Back