The Sgian Dubh

There's a lot of variation in these, and the pricing goes from about $185 to $225 (it can hit $300 with ivory and stuff, of course)

The standard pricing includes 2 sheaths, most often a sock/hose sheath and one of either a Patriot, mini-Explorer, or IWB - there's pretty decent descriptions on the website for what all the variants are.

Of course, the knife can vary from a bit under 7 inches to 9 inches OAL. There's a lot of room to have fun with this one.

I am going to have on one day without a doubt. I remember the black handled one on the website last year that was up for awhile. Almost pulled the trigger on that several times and still regret not doing it!

I'm gonna be posting a largish one with a single IWB sheath shortly. It's a bit on the beefy side, and a second belt sheath wouldn't be out of the question. Pretty, though.

This one, which I'm putting on the block in the sale area now:

464-01.jpg

Is that a double edge? What's the over all length? Give me a pm if you got any available that is under 8" oal, and not double edge.

Glock-

I have one that's in progress that might do ya. For whatever reason, I can't PM or email you right now....

Christof, keep me posted. I'm going on a knife buying spree with two customs on order and yours on mind let me know! When I buy one of your knives does it coms with an IWB or OWB sheath for example?

Pop me an email, we can work out details on that. Generally a SD comes with a sock sheath and either a mini explorer or IWB (or patriot) but that's variable.

Christof, are you anywhere near Ely, NV I'm heading out there for 6 weeks in November, get me back.

in Big Empty terms, i am sorta close. about 2 hours.

I am, though, right off of US 50. If you were coming up across the mountains to 95, the junction of 95 and 50 where you'd head east is pretty close to us.

Would guys say for those of you who have the sgian dubh, is it a somewhat tough edc blade? Or is mainly made/ intended for self preservation situations? Paging Christof, sir i'm waiting.

Would guys say for those of you who have the sgian dubh, is it a somewhat tough edc blade? Or is mainly made/ intended for self preservation situations? Paging Christof, sir i'm waiting.

I think the Sgian Dubh, in it's little steel heart, is a self-defense knife. It'll function as an EDC for various tasks, e.g. opening boxes, cutting cordage, opening MRE's, etc.... But it is not a utility knife in the usual sense of the word. The name is usually translated from the Gaelic as "Black Knife". This name may refer to the practice of having one stashed in the sleeve or armpit as a last restort weapon. It is a reasonable slashing knife and an outstanding piercing knife. It is tough--I haven't 'abused' mine, but it is stoutly made with tough steel.

I carried one in a magazine pouch in Afghanistan as a last restort or CQC knife. Unobtrusive on a vest, easily accessible, and quite secure. My only gripe with the Sgian Dubh is that it has a small handle and hilt. While this is an advantage for concealment, I like a big grip. Nevertheless, Christof's rendition is very secure in the hand because of the pommel and carries very conveniently. As you might guess, I'm a fan--I have 3 of them--and recommend trying one as a backup weapon.

P1290038-L.jpg

P1290034-L.jpg

P1290033-L.jpg

I need at least one more...in O-1 tool steel. :)

Been a freaky weekend. Some family issues that are waaaaay beyond the norm.

the smaller sgian dubh:

498-01.jpg

498-02.jpg

498-03.jpg

498-04.jpg

Back