The SR-MagnaCut Galley Rat Is Coming Sunday, 4-23-2023 At 9:00 PM Eastern!

94f3f4e49c2636ac95bbad44f4c64ac5.jpg
I currently own 1 knife.... literally. Sold everything and kept the tgulb

Any information on corrosion resistance with this steel? Would it be comparable to SR-101
Can't even be compared... SR101 stains easy Magnacut won't. Just a different animal in performance. I did lots of testing on sr101.... found it to be to soft for smaller blades and to brittle in large ones. Thats my opinion from lots of testing at lower edge angles

Didn’t miss it. It wasn’t there when we posted. Price is pretty reasonable for the materials and construction. Glad to see a smaller, useful offering.
I was pretty sure that was the case but had to carefully read it a few times to be sure!

I agree with everything else you said 100%!

Can't even be compared... SR101 stains easy Magnacut won't. Just a different animal in performance. I did lots of testing on sr101.... found it to be to soft for smaller blades and to brittle in large ones. Thats my opinion from lots of testing at lower edge angles
What kind of edge angles are we talking?

By all accounts SR-101 (52100) should handle low edge angles very well having very good edge stability, it's literally known for that, similar to AEB-L.

Definitely interested to know how Magnacut compares to SR-101 in lower edge angles with respect to edge stability and strength in general.

Definitely interested to know how Magnacut compares to SR-101 in lower edge angles with respect to edge stability and strength in general.

You can think of Magnacut as being very similar to a stainless version of Cruwear. At typical hardness ranges, Cruwear is advertised as having a tick more toughness, but regardless, Magnacut should be able to handle lower edge angles very well and much better than the vast majority of stainless steels.

And let’s not forget that Busse’s proprietary heat treatment regimen may well enhance Magnacut’s performance in this regard even further.

You can think of Magnacut as being very similar to a stainless version of Cruwear. At typical hardness ranges, Cruwear is advertised as having a tick more toughness, but regardless, Magnacut should be able to handle lower edge angles very well and much better than the vast majority of stainless steels.

And let’s not forget that Busse’s proprietary heat treatment regimen may well enhance Magnacut’s performance in this regard even further.

Indeed. I'm just surprised that Larrin has its (Magnacut) predicted edge retention to be the same as Cruwear despite Cruwear having primarily softer Chromium carbides whereas Magnacut has more of the harder Vanadium and Niobium carbides. I just have to trust his data and research on that.

I would love to see something like the N.I.C.K. or a European styled chef knife brought back with this alloy. It would be such a damned treat to use daily...

Also, while dreaming, a 6" boning knife, or a 3" caper/edc styled knife... I could get rid of the majority of my knife block (and knife roll) contents then...

Back