The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

...Case is mentioned every year. The number of knives we buy excludes them as an option.

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, 500 knives is quite a decent sized order. It just appears that CASE are not interested in doing a knife for this Forum based on the approaches made in the past, there could also be a problem of which dealer can handle it. Incidentally, CASE have prohibited their sellers from selling knives outside the USA a small-minded development which annoys me a lot.

If it's GEC do we have to go with a current pattern or one that is in current production? I know we all love the idea of a super different collectible knife. But I'd be all in for a practical user such as a 71. We would add our own flourishes such as an etch and our tang stamp and keep the price in an affordable range.

...and Opinal would like not
If it's GEC do we have to go with a current pattern or one that is in current production? I know we all love the idea of a super different collectible knife. But I'd be all in for a practical user such as a 71. We would add our own flourishes such as an etch and our tang stamp and keep the price in an affordable range.

Usually its current production that will be made along side the current run.

Truth be told, I imagine it might get more and more difficult to get GEC to do a club knife as their business and capacity continues to expand. I am curious what they might offer us this year (if they will offer us anything). I suspect the options will become more and more limited as time goes on.

I am more inclined to pursue the Buck option, especially if it will be a fixed blade. I love GEC knives but it is hard to get excited about an offering from them when we have such increasing limitations presented to us. I am reminded of something my dad was fond of saying (K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid). If it is to be a GEC, then I like Alan's idea of a 71 - an excellent working knife at a good price with a flair that makes it our own. Even something like a 15 would be great - a popular pattern that has traditionally been offered at a low price (retail). (That being said, if none of that is on GEC's production schedule, then it remains a moot point).

It is really hard to pass up the opportunity of creating our very own fixed blade from Buck though. Blade steel, handle materials, pattern - we would get to choose all of that (based on how our 2018 knife went). I know fixed blades aren't for everyone but I use them with considerable regularity - in home, as well as abroad.

The reason it comes down to only GEC or Buck is that they are the only traditional style knives represented by a dealer in these forums. There has to be a willing participant dealer here on BF that is able to shoulder all the work for zero profit, which of course really narrows it down. We're quite lucky that anyone even steps forward, considering.

That’s what I thought. Does that mean we’re looking at a 23 and can we keep the price within our targeted range?

If GEC agrees to do the forum knife, and if Spark signs off on it, and a dealer agrees to help out, and the forum polls decide GEC vs Buck, I'd guess not the 23 since it's in production.. but you never know.. lots of if's.. Who knows, there's lots of interesting possibilities later in the year.

Last edited:
I dunno Pàdruig Pàdruig ...I hear what you're saying...but it looks to me as though SFOs have become a large part of GECs operation...to my mind ( a scary place for most :D) the simple solution ..if we want GEC...is to get in line with the others and wait our turn...prompting the question ..How long does their planned production skej extend? Should we adjust our process to meet this time frame?...ie should we be thinking about 2021...22...23 ..now instead of waiting and oerhaps missing out....lots of factors at play...and I do apologise for mentioning the you know what virus.

You may be right, but this is an informal discussion thread. I did not take the Opinel suggestion as a joke, but then I love my Opinel. And olive wood is not standard, beechwood is. Olive wood is an upgrade. The handle, blade, or even the collar could be engraved with the BladeForums name. Why does a knife have to be super fancy and all tricked out?
Don’t know why I had it in my head it was olive wood instead of beechwood thanks for the correction.
Opinel #13’s do not come standard in olive wood, and I’m not joking, Opinels are great!
now that I see I am wrong on the wood it does make more sense. I still don’t see much that would make an opined stand out but I am open to ideas myself.

I like Opinels, they're a clever useful knife, long pedigree. Got a number of them and particularly like the smaller ones No.6 in Bubinga. It's a work-knife, it's a tool, like a SAK but they're not remarkable enough for a Forum Knife. Some engraved blade or special wood?? You could more or less make your own:rolleyes:;) Uh uh, gives me visions of an advertising or promotional knife:eek: sorry no.

But, you'd certainly get a fistful for your hundred dollars, in addition the flippers won't look twice ;):D

A GEC Bullnose in either a special 'custom' Micarta (some manner of Rag..:cool:) or why not Smooth Bone Camel would be none too flashy yet distinctive and a pattern we've not yet had:thumbsup:

Or a small Buck in white :)

Last edited:
...There has to be a willing participant dealer here on BF that is able to shoulder all the work for zero profit, which of course really narrows it down. We're quite lucky that anyone even steps forward, considering.

Is that some sort of rule or just a limitation of the $100 price limit? If a small percentage was factored in right off the top and we had to then design a knife that the build and delivery cost was say $95 (still $100 price) is that doable? Sorry for the ignorant question, I just haven't been too involved in the details before.

If so, that to me just makes Buck a more attractive option as their costs are typically lower.

Is that some sort of rule or just a limitation of the $100 price limit? If a small percentage was factored in right off the top and we had to then design a knife that the build and delivery cost was say $95 (still $100 price) is that doable? Sorry for the ignorant question, I just haven't been too involved in the details before.

If so, that to me just makes Buck a more attractive option as their costs are typically lower.

The 100.00 maximum was set as a price limit so the Traditional Forum knife would be affordable to most everyone that wanted one. It has been less and it has been a little more.

Back