The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

8264.jpg
View attachment 1304431

If we could get Victorinox to make up some Scientists, I'd be in for two. Maybe three. They've already got all the parts and the pattern. How hard could it be? :p
Should be easy to stay under $100. It would be a rare knife that's hard to find.
Just sayin' :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
John

I can think of a few different and appealing variations of SAKs if Victorinox was willing. Certainly the Scientist for one or maybe something that's never been done like a Alox Cadet X (cadet with scissors as discussed in another thread) or modifications to one of their 111 mm? Lots of possible options!

dsutton24, I don't get the 'Opinel is a joke' thing. They are a great value.

I agree, and I sell knives. I have an Opinel in my smaller bug-out bag. It is a great usable and light weight tool.

BTW, I do not sell Opinels, I had to pay real money to obtain one.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-18_10-4-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-18_10-4-14.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 41
I'm very much in for a custom Vic. For those who care it would be at least as collectable as a GEC.

I’d be all in for a unique Alox Victorinox, especially if they’d put the old cross on it:thumbsup:
Then it's settled. :D (See what you started jmh33 jmh33 ? ;))
A dark red alox Victorinox Cadet with scissors and the old style cross for BF's 2020 annual.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Too :cool:!! All we need is a front man.

Gotta say, if it ends (somehow, I don't think it will happen) up that an Opinel gets the nod, I'll proooobably be out. I have enough of them already, and I don't ever carry or use the ones I do own whereas I have a GEC in my pocket every day. My preference (and vote) will absolutely be towards a GEC, I don't even care too much about the model. Well, as long as it's not a toothpick #12. Don't really prefer those much.

I should add, I'm definitely not attempting to insult anyone who's calling for an Opinel. They just aren't special to me, not in the slightest. The GEC Forum knives I own from multiple years are special in their own ways, love 'em all.

All of that said, a Buck fixed blade is something I could definitely get behind as well if the consensus is heading that way.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing against Opinel, fine utility knife, a special forum knife, not so much.
A classic Buck fixed blade or GEC embodies the specialness a BF forum knife means to me.

dsutton24, I don't get the 'Opinel is a joke' thing. They are a great value.

I agree, and I sell knives. I have an Opinel in my smaller bug-out bag. It is a great usable and light weight tool.

BTW, I do not sell Opinels, I had to pay real money to obtain one.

May I ask why you have posted a pic of a non-Traditional knife here? I don't think anyone is actually considering having Milwaukee, sorry whoever Milwaukee contracts with overseas, to make the 2020 Forum Knife.

Then it's settled. :D (See what you started jmh33 jmh33 ? ;))
A dark red alox Victorinox Cadet with scissors and the old style cross for BF's 2020 annual.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Too :cool:!! All we need is a front man.

Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms. Now there will be a battle between the 84mm crowd and the 93mm only size Alox that should have ever been produced crowd:eek: Way to go:D

Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms. Now there will be a battle between the 84mm crowd and the 93mm only size Alox that should have ever been produced crowd:eek: Way to go:D
How about a nice Pioneer Settler. No one here could object, it's the quintessential pen knife. Oh and in red please. :D

to my way of thinking

- if the porch isn’t prepared to try some of the lessor quality American made traditional knives like Bear and Sons and Utica, then let’s just settle on the only brands that satisfy the porch as high-quality American made traditional, namely Buck and GEC.

- if GEC is going to be the selected manufacturer for the forseeable future, why not make one arrangement with one dealer to arrange the annual GEC-made forum knife for, say, three years, then spend our energy on getting the knife designs we want.

I don’t personally have a preference. I have bought, and will buy, lessor quality knives as I don’t want every piece in my collection to be a museum piece.

tc5oppf.jpg

If SAK produced this in Burgundy Micarta I could get excited, but otherwise SAKs are just (useful) tools to me, not special enough. If GEC made a Shadow version of their 68 White Owl with these two blades Spear/Small Pruner I'd be given a new lease of life :D:D:cool:

I want something special for the next knife. I love it when the Bill Howard gets involved and provides the basis for the knife and we simply pick the details. Our 2019 Forum was special. It is gorgeous to look at and it has a unique blade shape and profile for the 86 pattern. I know people aren’t supposed to sell them, but I saw one sell for $335 the other day. That just shows how well designed the knife was. It should be desirable if it was done well.

I don’t want something like the 2018 knife which lacked anything truly special about it. Buck’s elk stag is usually rather lackluster and lacks character which was the case for almost all of the 2018 Forum knives. There really wasn’t anything special about taking a three blade stockman down to two blades.

If we could get Victorinox to make up some Scientists, I'd be in for two. Maybe three. They've already got all the parts and the pattern. How hard could it be? :p
Should be easy to stay under $100. It would be a rare knife that's hard to find.
Just sayin' :)

If we could get Victorinox to make a Scientist, I’d be in for two or three...dozen.

Are you asking how hard it would be for them to make them, or how hard it would be to *get* them to make them?

The answers are “not hard at all” and “damn near impossible,” respectively. ;)

Back