The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Elgatodeacero, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    cool_shades.gif

Nate Perkins, meako and Jack Black like this.
  2. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    John

315 and mbkr like this.
  3. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Screenshot_20200317-214334_Chrome.jpg

I still say its an option worth looking into....

4. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    I can think of a few different and appealing variations of SAKs if Victorinox was willing. Certainly the Scientist for one or maybe something that's never been done like a Alox Cadet X (cadet with scissors as discussed in another thread) or modifications to one of their 111 mm? Lots of possible options!

mbkr, gaj999, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  5. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I'm very much in for a custom Vic. For those who care it would be at least as collectable as a GEC.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    jmh33, meako, redsparrow and 2 others like this.
  6. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I’d be all in for a unique Alox Victorinox, especially if they’d put the old cross on it:thumbsup:

jmh33, meako and redsparrow like this.
  7. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    dsutton24, I don't get the 'Opinel is a joke' thing. They are a great value.

I agree, and I sell knives. I have an Opinel in my smaller bug-out bag. It is a great usable and light weight tool.

BTW, I do not sell Opinels, I had to pay real money to obtain one.

Attached Files:

meako likes this.
  8. redsparrow

Oct 3, 2014
    Then it's settled. :D (See what you started @jmh33 ? ;))
    A dark red alox Victorinox Cadet with scissors and the old style cross for BF's 2020 annual.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Too :cool:!! All we need is a front man.

jmh33, Frailer, gaj999 and 2 others like this.
  9. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nothing against Opinel, fine utility knife, a special forum knife, not so much.
    A classic Buck fixed blade or GEC embodies the specialness a BF forum knife means to me.

10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    May I ask why you have posted a pic of a non-Traditional knife here? I don't think anyone is actually considering having Milwaukee, sorry whoever Milwaukee contracts with overseas, to make the 2020 Forum Knife.

11. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms. Now there will be a battle between the 84mm crowd and the 93mm only size Alox that should have ever been produced crowd:eek: Way to go:D

jmh33, mbkr, redsparrow and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    How about a nice Pioneer Settler. No one here could object, it's the quintessential pen knife. Oh and in red please. :D

jmh33, redsparrow and 315 like this.
  13. redsparrow

Oct 3, 2014
    LOL!!! Oh NOOOOO, what was I thinking! :eek:!!

jmh33 and 315 like this.
  14. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Whats the biggest model Vic makes? Length wise o_O aint talk'n about one of those 1,001 blade monsters :p

gaj999 likes this.
  15. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    to my way of thinking

- if the porch isn’t prepared to try some of the lessor quality American made traditional knives like Bear and Sons and Utica, then let’s just settle on the only brands that satisfy the porch as high-quality American made traditional, namely Buck and GEC.

- if GEC is going to be the selected manufacturer for the forseeable future, why not make one arrangement with one dealer to arrange the annual GEC-made forum knife for, say, three years, then spend our energy on getting the knife designs we want.

I don’t personally have a preference. I have bought, and will buy, lessor quality knives as I don’t want every piece in my collection to be a museum piece.

JohnDF, abbydaddy, seas165 and 2 others like this.
  16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    [​IMG]

If SAK produced this in Burgundy Micarta I could get excited, but otherwise SAKs are just (useful) tools to me, not special enough. If GEC made a Shadow version of their 68 White Owl with these two blades Spear/Small Pruner I'd be given a new lease of life :D:D:cool:

Old Hunter, jmh33 and meako like this.
  17. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    @Camillus ...thats a great idea...might even be able to Case to prick their ears up if we get that revolutionary idea to float.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

JJHollowman likes this.
  18. gaj999

gaj999

Jan 25, 2004
    You're thinking width. But I'm with you in not wanting anything wider than it is long ...

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  19. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I want something special for the next knife. I love it when the Bill Howard gets involved and provides the basis for the knife and we simply pick the details. Our 2019 Forum was special. It is gorgeous to look at and it has a unique blade shape and profile for the 86 pattern. I know people aren’t supposed to sell them, but I saw one sell for $335 the other day. That just shows how well designed the knife was. It should be desirable if it was done well.

I don’t want something like the 2018 knife which lacked anything truly special about it. Buck’s elk stag is usually rather lackluster and lacks character which was the case for almost all of the 2018 Forum knives. There really wasn’t anything special about taking a three blade stockman down to two blades.

Old Engineer, bflying, .577NE and 4 others like this.
  20. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    If we could get Victorinox to make a Scientist, I’d be in for two or three...dozen.

Are you asking how hard it would be for them to make them, or how hard it would be to *get* them to make them?

The answers are “not hard at all” and “damn near impossible,” respectively. ;)

meako and mbkr like this.