The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

What's wrong with that?

The most important attribute of a bushcraft/camp knife is toughness. It must not fail. At the same time, it gets used for some pretty rough stuff, like batoning and shelter building. So you give up hardness and abrasion resistance for toughness if you're actually planning to use the knife. Turns out that 5160 is a darned good choice. Good job Buck, on the standard version.

Here's a steel toughness chart from https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/how-to-pick-the-best-steel-for-every-knife/

low-alloy-toughness-5-15-19.jpg

Here's a chart that shows where 5160 falls. From https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/02/17/ranking-toughness-of-forging-knife-steels/
low-alloy-toughness-2-14-20.jpg

The most important attribute of a bushcraft/camp knife is toughness. It must not fail. At the same time, it gets used for some pretty rough stuff, like batoning and shelter building. So you give up hardness and abrasion resistance for toughness if you're actually planning to use the knife. Turns out that 5160 is a darned good choice. Good job Buck, on the standard version.

Here's a steel toughness chart from https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/how-to-pick-the-best-steel-for-every-knife/

low-alloy-toughness-5-15-19.jpg

Here's a chart that shows where 5160 falls. From https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/02/17/ranking-toughness-of-forging-knife-steels/
low-alloy-toughness-2-14-20.jpg

Thanks for the added explanation. I can follow your reasoning. However, I would add there are different use-cases. I rarely baton when camping, that's what I bring a hatchet for. The knife is used more for fine work and food prep and such. Back when I was still a scouts leader I was always looking for a bit more corrosion resistance, since it was not uncommon for me to forget to clean the blade on account of having such a busy day every day.

Hai, Meako-san.
I am but a humble gardener.......
& I should add ...super genius.

Whatsoever Traditional Pocketknife is posted ...with its story....by close of global business on Sunday 20 12 2020...and receives the most likes....on that day! ...will be the VOTFK of 2020..Of The Porch.. By The Porch ..FOR THE POOOORRRCCCH!!!...

Last edited:
Thanks for the added explanation. I can follow your reasoning. However, I would add there are different use-cases. I rarely baton when camping, that's what I bring a hatchet for. The knife is used more for fine work and food prep and such. Back when I was still a scouts leader I was always looking for a bit more corrosion resistance, since it was not uncommon for me to forget to clean the blade on account of having such a busy day every day.

Yeah, for car camping, I bring the kitchen sink. I finally settled on a 6" Komachi chef and what's in my pocket for food prep. Go figure. :) The knife is thinly ground, comes with a lightweight plastic sheath(cover really), and it's cheap enough to live in the camp kitchen box year around. I'm too old to get excited about the bushcraft thing, where it's your only knife and you leave non-essentials like shelter, sleeping bag, food, and cooking gear behind, but I still admire a tool that's well-designed for it's intended purpose. I noticed looking at those charts that I didn't include one for stainless steels. My recollection is that AEBL and it's sisters/clones are on the tough side due to being fine grained. Larrin's website is a trove of information for knifemakers. It's even interesting for laymen/hobby types like me. Lots of good stuff there.

Ah, if this getting done, we better get on board with a willing and capable knife peddler and I think Mr. Mike just stepped up to the plate ( knifeswapper knifeswapper ). We best not hesitate........

I’ve objected to the Lionsteel knives being featured on this subforum in the past, as I don’t think they are strictly within the criteria used to define this subforum. The traditional knife with non-radiussed edges on the springs, for example, involves a different kind of workmanship.

That said, I own a couple of the Lionsteel Otnats and they truly are a fantastic knife. The stag and horn that they use is very fine quality.

Could some adjustments be made, for example could steel be used instead of the suggested titanium frame? That would make the knife a little more traditional, and that kind of customisation would also serve to make it a true bladeforums knife.

Never understood the need to create factions in a forum that's nicknamed 'The Porch'. Doesn't that imply a good natured, aww shucks atmosphere?
They just form and are as flimsy as rainclouds....mind you rainclouds like this one are often seen
20200330-185257.jpg

Another thing I love about my VOTFK...Is that its completely and unquestionably flipperproof...also as it virtual it can happliy co exist with an actual OTFK....double bonus special feature!
knifeswapper knifeswapper Mike ...totally on board and manning the bilge pumps ...ya little old rebel you!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Back