The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

View attachment 1370377

GEC has this on their website. Could it be that club knives are still possible? (EDIT, look at the next post below. Probably not possible.) In any event, we would have to rely upon Mike or Charlie to work out a deal with GEC. It would be awfully big of either of them to do that on the heels of their SFO’s being canceled.

Maybe Mike @knifeswapper would be willing to try something with Lion Steel?

Eric would be great if he is willing and able to produce such a large number of knives. Your recent Red Trout knives looked wonderful @ea42 , any interest in making 500 more?

Our best bet might be Buck. Stephen @skblades did an amazing job with the Buck Forum Knife two years ago. However, we really put him through the ringer with the numerous polls and complaints with the finished product. I am not sure he would be willing to do it a second time. As Meako noted earlier, he has steered clear of this so far.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a Lionsteel 2020 Porch knife. Not just stainless, but M390! :eek::D:thumbsup:

I dream about these two someday having a buddy. :)

CwdWvV6.jpg

I love the idea of a Lionsteel 2020 Porch knife. Not just stainless, but M390! :eek::D:thumbsup:

I dream about these two someday having a buddy. :)

CwdWvV6.jpg

I'm always down for a stainless traditional. But now you have me thinking, can we get another serpentine with a clip and a sheepfoot? Mine get a lot of pocket time (the 2015 is my daily carry). It would be silly to repeat the pattern AGAIN, but the idea really tickles me.

We can officially exclude GEC from consideration. They have announced, at least to dealers, that they are no longer producing SFO's, non-owned branded knives, club knives, etc. A simplification of operation to only general production GEC branded knives. There is a Smith Mudbug that was already in the pipeline that will be the last commitment.

That’s a bummer.

I suppose that if they are selling out of everything they can produce, and the SFOs slow down production, it's a valid business decision. It may or may not work out in the long term. If not, I guess they can reverse and start doing them again...

I hope so.

It’s good to see a few of the Porch regulars bearing the torch to keep this going.

Many of us watching from the sidelines are rooting for a Forum knife; even with the understanding the roadblocks the current pandemic has created.

I, for one, would absolutely love to have the opportunity to participate and acquire a 2020 BladeForums knife.

Whatever you fine folks come up with will be a winner no doubt. And whatever knife maker/supplier that makes it happen will have shown true resilience and perseverance during these challenging times.

So a GEC’s is officially OFF the list. Now where to next:

Lionsteel - I really like their knives and I guess they could do probably something a bit more traditional than their hybrid offerings. Their ram’s horn is sensational. How about a ram’s horn barlow with a caplifter?

Buck - so many options and a USA maker with proven credentials.

My vote is a Buck, and please lets make it happen! We really need to show resolve.

How 'bour one based on CK's Viper sow belly? In something really cool like blue camel bone or some exotic wood burl?

I don’t think we should assume anything without a mod or owner telling us what is what. A forum knife is a club knife, not an SFO or
private label.

GEC would be nuts to not do a forum knife variation. But a nice Buck would be welcome.

I have no idea what the mods have been doing for the last 4 months, but given their extremely high salaries, generous benefits and various perks (free coffee, comfort women, Jazzercise classes, and mah jong tournaments) it does seem like we should be hearing from them soon on this important matter.

You will notice in the GEC pictures that there are some #23 club knives.

Yes, there are. They were ordered a year ago.

Reality is a kick in the fork, but it's mid-July and there's no chance we're going to get a knife this year.

Back