The "Whatever" Thread

The weather Friday was moderate and I had the need for a little woods time. When I parked I found the creek too high to cross to get to where I had planned to go. I walked a short ways and found bridge in the form of a mostly rotten log. With a lot of luck and solid walking stick I got across. My son wasn't with me so I picked a few of these to take back. He gets unbelievably excited when he finds edibles while hiking.

After fighting my way through a mix of mountain laurel, rhododendron, and downed hemlock I reached more normal looking woods to realize I wasn't where I hoped to be. I started walking in a wide zig-zag pattern looking for something I recognized. When I finally saw the remnants of an old fence I knew I was in the right area.

I have heard various stories about the area's history but I'm not sure what it once was. There are ruts where roads were and occasional signs of civilization like this can.

I've posted this pic before but I still find the spot interesting. Is it a grave or a hoax? I'll never dig to find out.

On the hike I carried a hatchet in a shoulder rig with my JK pouch/knife and a few basic items. This is another of John's great ideas that never received the attention it deserved. If you look closely at the pic you will see it's laying on top of a roll of old rusty fence. There are several pieces of this scattered around the area. I'm not sure if it was used to keep something on or off of the property.
Mmm, woods time.
Thanks for the pics!The grave reminded me of a small family plot (5 or 6) on the edge of the woods I hunted in out in NC when I was stationed out there.
One head stone had a birth date in the 1700s and death in the 1800s.The rest were dated in the 1800s as near as I could tell.A couple of head stones had toppled into the depressions left from the graves settling and I wasn't about to try lifting them to see the dates.
Luckily I didn't get to that neck of the woods while hunting or scouting very often.
Thanks again for the pics and the memories.:thumbsup:

View attachment 851416 School dance last night
Look at Miss Hayley, y'all must be very proud.:thumbsup::)

View attachment 852542 It seems like anytime Hanna gets a chance to get out and have fun she ends up sick. High temp and sore throat. Sophie won't leave her side.
Yay Sophie, good girl!
Smoke's up Hanna, kick butt as usual.

Had to take my youngest dog (white/liver) in for emergency surgery last night. When we rescued her ~6 years ago, she had been abused so badly, she would flatten out on the floor shaking anytime anyone would approach her. She became a great lap dog, loves getting petted, and can run for hours.

She swallowed a few of the kids hair/ties and some string. It bound up in her intestines. Please send prayers/thoughts her way.

zUI4KCw.jpg
Great looking dogs. I watch Animal Planet Vet shows a lot thanks to my roommate and from what I've seen it's a fairly simple procedure to remove foreign objects from the guts of pets.I've seen this one..Dr.Jeff do it twice so far and the pets recovered without a hitch.
Smoke's up for your girl.

Yesterday we rode to a sports show ( http://www.westernvasportshow.com/ ) and had a great time. I got to talk with several interesting guys including Bill Zearing of Cody Turkey Calls ( http://www.codyturkeycalls.com/index.htm ) I really enjoy talking with people who have a true passion for what they do and he is one of those guys. He isn't selling calls to make a living, he lives to make the calls. The show isn't far from where my older son lives so we get to have dinner with him at one of our favorite restaurants (http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/) which happens to make beer as good as their food. The highlight of the evening was the live Brown Bear Show and Tommy getting a trophy for catching a trout from the kiddie pond. It was funny watching all the people fishing in a pool full of fish and nobody catching anything. I watched for several minutes to see what the fish were doing then paid for 5 minutes of fishing. It didn't take us a minute to have a fat Rainbow in the net. Tommy posed for pics then we slipped the fish back. He was more excited by the trophy than the fish.
Thank you, this post put a big ol smile on my face.:D
Grats to little man Tommy.:thumbsup::cool:

Turned 37 today. Feeling old lol. Need to get out and play or something to remind me I'm young lol
Happy belated Birthday grunt.:oops:
Go get out and play damn it!:D

Connie and I went to the range yesterday afternoon. We took the Glock 43, Kimber Micro 9, (which she has been wanting to shoot again), the Taurus 85, and her S&W M&P .22 C. Turns out Connie shoots the Micro 9 better than her .22, and she shoots it better than me, probably because it fits her little hands. Long story short, she saved her target and has been showing it to everyone. I haven't seen her this excited in a while, so the Micro is now hers.

I got little league tonight had to go buy a new bat because of nation wide regulation changes. And i also just got my sig p229 patinum elite ive been waiting on and it so happens to now be located on my wifes night stand.

Hey Mtblair - Hope your pup is doing well - at least you were able to get out with a bag full of knives!

Thanks and post pictures of the pup when you have time - love pet pictures.

best

mqqn

Poor little baby!

She does not look very happy. Cone of shame indeed.

Thanks, and give her a careful hug for me.

best

mqqn

Almost got blown off a bridge this morning when the 40mph winds hit me in the pouring rain. It's been off and on with the rain since about 4am here in Louisiana.

In other news: WOOHOO! Just paid for my JK Knives Pocket Chef! Cannot wait!

Back