The whiskey tribe and Trade!

I'm a bourbon hound. Tried to like scotch years ago; but couldn't do it. I should probably try again... but that's another rabbit hole to throw money into.

Rock Hill Farms was my first bourbon; and it's still a favorite...though it's become almost impossible to get around here (and when the shops do get it, the prices are crazy).
I'm also quite fond of Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit & Rare Breed, Noah's Mill, and Baker's.
When I'm feeling more budget conscious - Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Four Roses Small Batch, Henry McKenna Single Barrel, and Jim Beam Black.
There's one I won't mention for fear of it being "discovered" & going the way of Rock Hill Farms, lol.

I'm the opposite, never liked bourbon but love scotch. But my experience with bourbon was all when I was in my teens and 20's and was young and stupid and didn't know what I was doing!! Twenty years later, I should try again. I'm in Australia so not everything is readily available... what's a good place to start?

I'm in Australia so not everything is readily available... what's a good place to start?
I was around 40 when I was trying to like scotch; so it's been 12 yrs.
Not knowing what's available makes it difficult to recommend...I tried to do a search, and about choked at the prices I was seeing. First choice - Rock Hill Farms!
I suspect you would be able to find Jim Beam Black, and something by Four Roses (I prefer their Small Batch). One article mentioned Henry McKenna (I've only had the single barrel; and it's tough to beat for the price) and Wild Turkey (Russell's Reserve is a pretty safe bet... and if you like higher proof, Rare Breed). I saw that one chain(?) sells Heaven Hill products; so Elijah Craig.
If you can find it, and the price isn't too outrageous, Angel's Envy is quite good.

I'm the opposite, never liked bourbon but love scotch. But my experience with bourbon was all when I was in my teens and 20's and was young and stupid and didn't know what I was doing!! Twenty years later, I should try again. I'm in Australia so not everything is readily available... what's a good place to start?
Angel's Envy
Or whistle pig!

They tend to be more expensive for rye. But they are very good.
Watch the whiskey tribe YouTube channel. They have playlists for rye.

Thanks! I'll look for some of these. Not sure I can get any of these locally except Jim Beam Black. But at least I have a list now to keep an eye out for.

And yes, bourbon and scotch is expensive in Australia.

If you're already a whisk(e)y drinker, Jim Beam Black may not click the right boxes. If you like a stronger flavor & more complexity, you may find Baker's more to your liking (and I think I saw it listed as having at least reasonable availability there).

Just for the record.... I went with Laphroaig Triple Wood. And, it's DAMN GOOD!
And to make this weekend complete... I scored 4 Glencairn glasses for $5 at an estate sale yesterday, and found two of them at GoodWill for 0.99 each today.

Been binge watching the Whiskey tribe since this thread was posted, now I'm pretty hooked. I've casually drunk whiskey since I became legal 3 years ago, but now I'm diving in. Even have a list of stuff I want to try based on the reviews I've seen so far.

Been binge watching the Whiskey tribe since this thread was posted, now I'm pretty hooked. I've casually drunk whiskey since I became legal 3 years ago, but now I'm diving in. Even have a list of stuff I want to try based on the reviews I've seen so far.

What's on your list?

What's on your list?
A lot of the more heavily favored budget stuff like Monkey Shoulder and Elijah craig, and then stuff like Makers Mark cask strength and Jameson Caskmates Stout. Just whatever is catching my eye from watching all of these videos.

Somebody gave me a bottle of scotch 5 or 6 years ago...I've got open bottles of tequila and bourbon to finish; so maybe next weekend I'll have a pour.
(Glenlivet 12, I think?)

I have a playlist in my YouTube and use it as a list to further research and eventually buy. Typically it's the rare whiskey friday episodes.

I'll post my list to try on here later today.
Also high west makes some excellent Ryes. Campfire is intriguing. Cant remember if I had it already, but basically imagine scotch and rye, paired into this super cool smokey rye!

[ ] Iron clad bourbon
[ ] Angel's envy carribean RUM barrel Finish
[ ] Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky, grab a bottle. Its Excellent. had it.
[ ] Sacred stave whiskey
[ ] Teeling galway bay barley wine finish
[ ] Tullamore dew rum finish
[ ] Michter (rye or whiskey)
[ ] Legent
[v] Few bourbon* excellent
[ ] Few American whiskey
[ ] Few rye
[ ] Balcones Texas pot stil bourbon (red label)
[ ] Balcones true blue (dark blue label)?
[ ] Balcones brimstone
[ ] Balcones single malt
[v] Balcones baby blue (light blue label 100% blue corn)
[ ] Journeyman silver cross four grain
[ ] Weller CYPB.
[ ] Weller antique 107
[ ] Lone elm wheat whiskey
[ ] Kings county bottled in bond (pot still)
[ ] Cotoctin rye

Been years since I have even tasted any kind of whiskey... except.... I did try a couple of the moonshines that are commercially made, but didn't care for any of them. The last time I can remember drinking whiskey was in East Texas in the mid-70's when a nurse more or less forced me to drink it to calm down. At the time, I thought I was having an heart attack at age 22. Later went to a doctor and was prescribed barbiturates. Took two pills and said drugs aren't for me. The drug types would have loved that prescription.... unlimited refills forever. Did essentially the same thing following surgery during the home recovery phase.... took one pill and said No after that.

Generally speaking the only hard liquors that appeal to me are tequila, rums, and gin and their consumption is occasional. A 1/5 will last a couple years unless I binge on this kind of drink. I have bottles of a couple whiskeys in my pantry that are probably 30 years old sitting on the shelf and have been moved several times (house to house) which in hind sight amazes me that I would move the stuff. Now I would just dump stuff like that down the drain rather than move it.

Last edited:
Been years since I have even tasted any kind of whiskey... except.... I did try a couple of the moonshines that are commercially made, but didn't care for any of them. The last time I can remember drinking whiskey was in East Texas in the mid-70's when a nurse more or less forced me to drink it to calm down. At the time, I thought I was having an heart attack at age 22. Later went to a doctor and was prescribed barbiturates. Took two pills and said drugs aren't for me. The drug types would have loved that prescription.... unlimited refills forever. Did essentially the same thing following surgery during the home recovery phase.... took one pill and said No after that.

Generally speaking the only hard liquors that appeal to me are tequila, rums, and gin and their consumption is occasional. A 1/5 will last a couple years unless I binge on this kind of drink. I have bottles of a couple whiskeys in my pantry that are probably 30 years old sitting on the shelf and have been moved several times (house to house) which in hind sight amazes me that I would move the stuff. Now I would just dump stuff like that down the drain rather than move it.
I also like tequila, rum, and gin.
My fiance got me into Mezcal too.

Back