The whiskey tribe and Trade!

I agree about the high corn varieties, way too sweet for me. Some of the wheated bourbons are very good, but I prefer the spicyness and bite of the rye.

I agree with your wife about Ardbeg, it's just not for me.

Ah.... Ardbeg is great stuff! I've had three of their offerings, and all are spectacular.
July 3rd is my one year anniversary of discovering that I like Scotch. Specifically... Islay scotch. Started with Ardbeg An Oa, and it was LOVE at first sip.
Today, I celebrate with a wee dram of Lagavulin 16. Fantastic stuff!

My son bought me a bottle of Four Roses small batch for Father’s Day. It’s pretty damn good stuff.

The juice in the decanter is some Weller my brother left over here a long time ago. Also good stuff. Limited supply around here now - bare shelves and when it’s in stock it’s strictly limited to one bottle per customer.

I’ve whored this pic out all over the forums already, might as well post it here.

1235-D074-5504-4522-93-C1-C1677-FF44-D1-C.jpg

I find that I my whisk(e)y taste correlates to the season. Cold, rainy weather make me think of Scotland, so it's Talisker or an Islay. But in the hot summer months it more like bourbon and rye. Just tried High West Double Rye and am pretty pleased.

My son bought me a bottle of Four Roses small batch for Father’s Day. It’s pretty damn good stuff.

The juice in the decanter is some Weller my brother left over here a long time ago. Also good stuff. Limited supply around here now - bare shelves and when it’s in stock it’s strictly limited to one bottle per customer.

I’ve whored this pic out all over the forums already, might as well post it here.

1235-D074-5504-4522-93-C1-C1677-FF44-D1-C.jpg
Nice!! Weller is some good stuff!!
Same with Four Rose's.

It's a little on the low end for this thread, but Old Forester is my go-to bourbon (their rye is pretty good too). Woodford Reserve is another favorite, when I want to spend a little more. I've found I mostly prefer the high rye varieties of bourbon. Back when I was living in Massachusetts, one of my favorites was Nor'easter Bourbon, it was aged on Nantucket and had a distinct salty-oaky taste.

I also like Irish whiskeys too, Tullamore Dew Rum cask, Jameson Caskmates, and The Sextant are all great.

My wife likes the oakier bourbons, but her favorite whisky is Ardbeg. She's a bit odd.
Old forester makes an excellent Rye. I was lucky enough to try it at a friends this past winter. Had 2 glasses. I have yet to try the bourbon. But I have heard very good things about them!

I picked this up specifically for the Fourth, it's an excellent upgrade over the classic Old Forester.

mUF33lI.jpg

Another favorite I forgot to mention is Widow Jane. A friend gave me a bottle as a wedding gift, it might just be the best bourbon I've ever had.

I got lucky and found some Weller over the long holiday, both the special reserve (green) and Antique (red).
both are quite tasty and the special reserve is almost a steal at 23 bucks.

I've also recently gotten into bourbon. Drank mostly scotch before. Next on my list is michters, bookers and basil Hayden's

Cracked open a bottle of Four Roses single barrel, to celebrate the wife coming home from a long trip. She brought home some nice small-batch bourbon too.

I had actually been looking for some Buffalo Trace, I haven't had it in a while, but none of the three stores I went to had it. Now I'm on a wait list for it.

Hey guys, was searching for whiskey/knife related threads and ran across this one. I am a Patreon in the Whiskey Tribe and have been since it’s inception.

In CA right now but have a friend in San Antonio that drives up to Austin to get me what I need from Crowded Barrel, even got my name on the wall. There’s a couple of empty Eleanor bottles in the background of this pic. I am a fan of all whiskey but Islay scotch is my favorite.

Cheers!

NFTTFxU.jpg

aVIaHYS.jpg

Ever since my wife and I moved to Florida, we've been missing our favorite Bourbon. She was recently able to go back home, and brought a bottle back with her. We were both scared to try it, fearing that we built up an image of how good it was, and we didn't want to be disappointed.

We were not disappointed once we cracked it open. It is still our favorite.

KTtmaql.jpg

Ever since my wife and I moved to Florida, we've been missing our favorite Bourbon. She was recently able to go back home, and brought a bottle back with her. We were both scared to try it, fearing that we built up an image of how good it was, and we didn't want to be disappointed.

We were not disappointed once we cracked it open. It is still our favorite.

KTtmaql.jpg
Will have to look for this.... is it a regional/local offering?

I know Total Wine carries it, they may have it in all their stores, or they may be able to ship it to their stores, I'm not sure. Ive found it in Total Wine stores in MA and NY, but those are the only ones I've been in.

Was going to start a thread but figured there had to be a whiskey thread available already.

Been switching from collecting knives to collecting bottles of scotch and bourbon recently. Mainly an Islay drinker but am beginning to expand my collection to other scotches (still w/a preference for those that are smoky) and some bourbons.

Just drove to BevMo today to pick up a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra Peated which is bottled at 61.5% ABV (123 proof). It's a cask strength Highland scotch finished in small batches in peat scotch barrels. The smoke is very light, which is a refreshing change from the Islay scotches I still prefer, and offers a great flavor for sipping neat after its high ABV is diluted to smooth it out.

Highly recommended if you can find it. Just be aware that Glenlivet also sells a Nadurra "Olorsoro" that is finished in sherry barrels. So, if you want the peated version you need to make sure that's what is being offered.

Here's what's currently in my scotch library:

Aberfeldy 12
Alberfeldy 16
Aberlour 16
Aberlour A' bundah

anCnoc 12
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Balvenie 14 Week of Peat
BenRiach Peated Cask Strength
BenRiach Smokey 10

Bowmore 12
Bowmore 15
Bunnahabhain 12
Bunnahabhain Toiteach A' Dha
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavily Peated 10
Caol Ila 12*
Chivas Regal
Chivas Regal 18
Compass Box - Great King St - Artist's Blend
Compass Box - Great King St - Glasgow Blend
Compass Box - Peat Monster
Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve*
Dalwhinnie 15

Dewar's 18
Finlaggan Old Reserve - Small Batch
GlenDronnach 12
Glenfiddich 14 (Bourbon Cask)

Glenfiddich 18
Glenfarclas 12
Glenlivet 18
Glenlivet Nadura Peated
Glenmorangie 18
Glenrothes 12

Highland Park 12
Johnny Walker Green Label*
Johnny Walker Red
Johhny Walker Black
Johhny Walker Double Black

Jura 10
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Kilchoman Sanaig
Lagavulin 8

Lagavulin 16*
Laphroaig 10*
Laphroaig Triple Wood
Ledaig 10
Macallan 12 Double Cask
Monkey Shoulder
Oban 14*

Talisker 10*

Note: Previously purchased/opened bottles (or repurchased whether opened or not) are in black; recent additions that have not yet been but will be opened are in blue; substractions (tried before, finished and haven't repurchased yet) are in red; and, unopened bottles saved to the "libary" are in green. Faves are marked with an "*".

Use to be a drinker of J&B and Chivas in my youth but haven't touched a drop of them in decades.

Not as big a bourbon fan but I have upgraded a from Jack Daniels during the pandemic. LOL! ;)

My bourbon collection currently includes:

1792 - Full Proof
Angel's Envy

Baker's 7 - Single Barrel
Barrel Bourbon 9 - Batch 24

Buffalo Trace
Boondocks 8 - Port Finished
Burning Chair - Barrel Select

Bulleit 10
Bulleit - Barrel Strength
Burning Chair - Barrel Select 2020
Colonel E. H. Taylor - Small Batch
Eagle Rare 10* (plus 6 bottles in reserve)
Elijah Craig - Barrel Proof
Heaven Hill 7 - Bottled in Bond

Hickory Hill 12 - Single Barrel
Hudson Baby Bourbon
Jack Daniels
Knob Creek
Larceny - Small Batch
McKenna 10

Mellow Corn
Maker's Mark

Michter's 10
Michter's US 1 - Small Batch*
Old Forester 1920 - Prohibition Style*
Old Tub
Pinhook Bohemian Bourbon (95 Proof)
Pinhook - Bohemian Bourbon - High Proof (114.5)
Pinhook - Bourbon War - Vertical Series 4
Pinhook - Bourbon War - Vertical Series 5

Russell's Reserve 10
Stillhouse Black Bourbon*

Weller 12
Weller - Special Reserve

Widow Jane 10
Willet Distillery - Noah's Mill

Willet Distillery - Rowan Creek
Woodford Reserve
Woodinville Port Finished - Special Limited Release

Note: Previously purchased/opened bottles (or repurchased whether opened or not) are in black; recent additions that have not yet been but will be opened are in blue; substractions (tried before, finished and haven't repurchased yet) are in red; and, unopened bottles saved to the "libary" are in green. Faves are marked with an "*".

Will be exploring bourbon's more broadly once I'm done filling out my scotch collection.

Cheers! :cool:

OBTW, I have also been buying Jamesons and canned whipped cream to make Irish coffee with. :)

Last edited:
If you like peat, also try Octomore. (also made by Bruichladdich)

I mainly stick with Laphroaig 10, but I was forced to buy a Lagavulin 16 last night because every shop within a 50km radius of me was out of it. I'll make do.

If you like peat, also try Octomore. (also made by Bruichladdich)

I mainly stick with Laphroaig 10, but I was forced to buy a Lagavulin 16 last night because every shop within a 50km radius of me was out of it. I'll make do.

LOL!

Forced to buy Lagavulin 16 which is consistently rated the BEST of the Islay (along w/most other) single malt scotches?

Yes, I'm sure you'll make do. Congrats! :)

As for Octomore, it's on my radar but (like knives) there's a limit to what I'll pay for a bottle and right now about $100 is my limit which still offers me a lot of choices (as does my limit of $500 for knives) but like my limit for knives, I expect that, if I keep this up, my limit for a bottle of scotch will also rise. ;)

I can drink Lag16 but I really like Laphroaig10 ;) :D
IMG-7723.jpg

I agree that Laghroaig 10 is the more affordable and "drinkable" Islay and it's also my "go to" scotch and the one I buy the most bottles of. :)

I just bought a bottle of Laphroiag Triple Wood that I find "smoother" than the 10 and I plan to try a bottle of Quarter Cask which seems to be highly regarded.

Last edited:
Damn. I gotta step up my game lol!
You guys have quite the collection.

I recently tried a blended scotch at a friend's house. But I can not for the life of me remember what it was. It was pretty good. Definitely on the smoky side but I don't think it was a full Islay.

Back