The Wonderous Whittler

So many whittlers, so little time!!

Ken, your work in amazing!

Interesting comparison, Charlie

You never cease to amaze me with the knives you come up with, SK!!

Great photos. I don't have good pics of this one but its one of my favorites among my handmade folders and I wanted to show it at least best I could. I made this video some time ago. This is a 308 pattern in D2 and one you may not see again. Tanned and brown dyed armadillo scales done that way and sold by the maker. Its some kind of armor plating. I've got another one of these that sees more pocket time in the little amber dyed armadillo 01 whittler in the same pattern. Both were done by Jerry Barlow of Watts OK. who no longer makes knives. I have two other whittlers by Jerry also, a whale jaw bone seahorse 01 and a ironwood seahorse in D2. Oh and there is this one by Don Morrow worthy of high praise other than being a nail buster!

[video=youtube;kCEX9l5sTSw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCEX9l5sTSw[/video]

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Whittler heaven 001 (Large).jpg
    Whittler heaven 001 (Large).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Armadillo Whittler 004 (Large).jpg
    Armadillo Whittler 004 (Large).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 60
IMG_2150copy_zpsdf0ce749.jpg

I love me some whittlers and I've posted some of these pics before but here goes... Here's a couple of Case made in 78' with brown jigged bone covers.

And this is the all-time favorite whittler in my collection, John Blyde (Sheffield) from early 1900's with perfect horn covers.

Coolest tang-stamps ever, little golfers!!!

Here's a Schrade I sold a while back, but I kept a back-up ;)

I'll post some more soon, maybe get some pics of my favorite pattern, 6380, and other Case... :thumbup:

Last edited:
DSCN0997.jpgDSCN0999.jpgDSCN1000.jpgDSCN1003.jpgDSCN1004.jpg

Here's the Schrade Walden Carpenter's whittler, unused with the Everlastingly Sharp etch, a Maher and Grosh pearl balloon whittler unused with Razor Steel etch, and an early stag KA-BAR whittler, main blade unused, but the smaller blades have a lot of wear.

DSCN1010.jpgDSCN1011.jpgDSCN1015.jpg

One of the most beautiful whittlers ever made, a Remington congress whittler in pearl. Scratched main blade about 1/8 inch short, but with visible etch remaining.

How good are they actually for whittling? I was thinking about maybe a northwoods or a #33 or something like that as a dedicated whittler, but im still on the fence since my peanut and 34ot are doing ok.

^^^ Thanks sir! Believe it or not I found that beauty at a flea market.

Here's one of my favourites, my batteries died. :rolleyes:
I'll post a couple more tomorrow.

Regards

Robin

11985596575_756aed03d3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Been meaning to post some of my 6380's and was finally able to grab a few pics this morning. Ya'll enjoy!!! :thumbup:

Two XX Era 6380's and a 6292.

Three 6380's, to XX eras and a red bone from the 70's.

A brown bone 6380 from the 70's. I really love the pile side cover on this beauty!

Here a few older ones:

IXL George Wostenholm. Sorry no open picture for some reason.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Hammer Brand

large.jpg

large.jpg

And some real old ones. Holley MFG Co. The first one is not the best, condition wise, but I like to look at it and wonder what it was like new. The last one is in great shape. It was well cared for and I have been known to drop it in my pocket on occasion.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Wow 67nick, loving those 6380s! In another thread, I was just posting about that Carpenter's Whittler pattern, and how nice it is. Very nice examples you have there! :thumbup:

Wow 67nick, loving those 6380s! In another thread, I was just posting about that Carpenter's Whittler pattern, and how nice it is. Very nice examples you have there! :thumbup:

Thank you sir! Yes, I think Carpenter's Whittlers are one of the best patterns around. I really enjoy the shape and smooth lines, verse the heft/bulk of the knife. I will try to post a few more later today.

Back