there is a green flipping frenzy going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
micarta I'm sorry about your cat! I love my kitties, it's too bad they can't be around longer. Too many sad pet stories on BF today! :-(

micarta I'm sorry about your cat! I love my kitties, it's too bad they can't be around longer. Too many sad pet stories on BF today! :-(

Thank you for your thoughts.

God will make more cats, and we have others too, but the one that we lost was MY cat. Spyderco will make more knives, but I suspect God will make dogs and cats at a faster rate than Spyderco will make knives.

If Spyderco have any problem with people flipping sprints for a high prices, they have a very simple solution - just produce the popular sprints in larger numbers. Over time I'm sure that's what will happen.

I have a PM2 in s30v. Would be happy to buy one in a fancier steel, but won't do it at a crazy price because eventually they will be readily available in super steels, unless something even better has come along in the mean time.

If Spyderco have any problem with people flipping sprints for a high prices, they have a very simple solution - just produce the popular sprints in larger numbers. Over time I'm sure that's what will happen.

I have a PM2 in s30v. Would be happy to buy one in a fancier steel, but won't do it at a crazy price because eventually they will be readily available in super steels, unless something even better has come along in the mean time.

I think they should produce more knives with special features, and produce them quicker. The only people that benefit from smaller production numbers are the scalpers. I don't think there would have been such a frenzy with the green PM2 if it had come out a few months after the preorder, and they could have produced 2 or 3 more sprint runs since then. I have every faith that Spyderco has the ability and expertise to do this if they wanted to. Maybe only a few people know why they produce knives at the rate that they do and those people aren't talking.

Spyderco could certainly sell more knives if they had larger and more frequent sprint runs. The average knife enthusiast probably only wants to own one, maybe 2 black G10 PM2's. For that matter I don't own even one and don't want to own one. But a lot of enthusiasts would own a blue one if they are more available, and a green one, and a grey one, and a CF one, and whatever other variations they could have brought out over the past 12 months if the green ones had been produced on a reasonable timeframe.

And do not be telling me that it took Spyderco 16 months to "get it right". That is doing a discredit to the company and their ability. I have every confidence that they have the ability to take any steel that they wish to use, go through a 1 month or 2 month R&D program for how to grind and heat treat it, then put it into production and have the knives ready to go to the distributor shortly after that.

As for future steel it should be a given that steels will evolve. When I started buying knives years ago the popular brands were using steels like 420 and various grades of 440. Since then common production knives have stepped up to ATS34, 154, and now S30V. Spyderco doesn't but another popular company has multiple normal production models in M390 steel. Maybe someday Spyderco will have production models with steels like M390 or 204, and maybe more models with M4.

this one was late because of steel availability problem, they favorised their regular production ie the southard over a sprint.

the scalpers are not the only one that benefit from smaller runs. do you really think that spyderco could produce as much regular or even bigger limited runs that they made sprints/exclusives lately? i think your all dreaming.

when i take a look at my knife drawer and see a milie with m390, one with cpm m4, one cts xhp, one s90v (ok this one is old ...) all used, i'm glad they offer me this opportunity, even if i bought one of those second hand ....

and yes the exclusivity appeal to me too, it's like a game instead of whinning keep an eye open. i work 12-15hrs/day 6days per week, very limited free time and i still manage to get what i want almost everytime its far from impossible if you really care about it.

I think they should produce more knives with special features, and produce them quicker. The only people that benefit from smaller production numbers are the scalpers. I don't think there would have been such a frenzy with the green PM2 if it had come out a few months after the preorder, and they could have produced 2 or 3 more sprint runs since then. I have every faith that Spyderco has the ability and expertise to do this if they wanted to. Maybe only a few people know why they produce knives at the rate that they do and those people aren't talking.

Spyderco could certainly sell more knives if they had larger and more frequent sprint runs. The average knife enthusiast probably only wants to own one, maybe 2 black G10 PM2's. For that matter I don't own even one and don't want to own one. But a lot of enthusiasts would own a blue one if they are more available, and a green one, and a grey one, and a CF one, and whatever other variations they could have brought out over the past 12 months if the green ones had been produced on a reasonable timeframe.

And do not be telling me that it took Spyderco 16 months to "get it right". That is doing a discredit to the company and their ability. I have every confidence that they have the ability to take any steel that they wish to use, go through a 1 month or 2 month R&D program for how to grind and heat treat it, then put it into production and have the knives ready to go to the distributor shortly after that.

As for future steel it should be a given that steels will evolve. When I started buying knives years ago the popular brands were using steels like 420 and various grades of 440. Since then common production knives have stepped up to ATS34, 154, and now S30V. Spyderco doesn't but another popular company has multiple normal production models in M390 steel. Maybe someday Spyderco will have production models with steels like M390 or 204, and maybe more models with M4.

You should Contact them to see if they are hiring, hell maybe take Sals spot.

bdmicarta

Spyderco is actually a pretty small company when compared to other knife manufacturers. They are at peak production right now, and they're in the process of expanding their domestic manufacturing facilities. That kind of stuff takes time, and I'm sure it takes a ton of money. I'm sure they would love to produce more knives, because I have no doubt that they would sell them.

Also, 16 months to get it right doesn't seem that long to me. There are some models that were in R&D for years before they finally went into production. It takes time to test each and every model, tweak it, and retest it again. Take into account Spyderco's policy of CQI (Constant Quality Improvement), and I guess you could say that even the older models are still in R&D.

I doubt Spyderco cares about people flipping their knives for higher prices. When the knife is initially sold, they've been paid, so it's not like they're losing money when it gets resold. There's also a fine balance between producing just enough knives, and producing too many. Producing a few hundred knives might result in a higher price per piece for Spyderco, but they're more likely to sell all of them than if they had produced several thousand pieces. The same goes for the exclusives. A dealer is only going to order what they think is going to sell.

It's the price you have to pay if you are an enthusiast in any hobby. There is always going to be something in limited supply, and there will always be someone out there that gets the last one and sells it for a much higher price.

I really don't see a problem with people flipping the knives they paid for with their money. Honestly, I think they're the ones missing out, because they never actually get a chance to put the knife to use.

There is a fine line between supply and demand so if Spyderco mass produces the PM2 to the point they are everywhere and make the sprints in larger numbers, they will loose there value and therefore people will not buy them for a collector stand point because they wont be worth as much so why hang onto them as an investment.

On the other hand, it is probably true to a degree that if people can never find the PM2 to buy, then they might lose interest and purchase another brand.

So that said, they should produce enough of the PM2's so folks dont get disgusted that they cant find one but not enough so they are everywhere and companies are stock piled and just trying to unload them for $75-80 each.

Keep the sprint runs down so they keep there value. :) Just my opinion!

Have you all found The Answer yet? No? Maybe you will the next time the topic comes up again, and again, and again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back