Things that just bug ya?

While I'm on a rant another thing that bugs me is prepaying for gas. It literally kills me to stand there for 30 secs for the last 50 cents to spin off.
Yeah. I try to use a credit card for gas purchases (not much else other than hotels and online purchases). Occasionally I'll use a debit card, but I don't like to. Last resort obviously is cash but I HATE the routine.... especially when you intend to fill up and you don't know how much it will cost >> pull up to pump, walk into store, stand in line, tell them what you want and give them cash, go back outside and pump gas. And if the station is busy, folks might be waiting for you to finish.

May sound crazy but I can slow burn when I hold the door open for someone and don't get a thanks.
I’d be thanking you!

Around here, good luck getting anyone to hold the door open for you. I used to work at a place that had a huge, heavy wooden door at the entrance. Each time I would arrive carrying multiple bags (both hands tied up), and in 20 years 1 person held the door open behind themselves for me—I was shocked! —the others let the door slam shut in my face.

Manners seem to me to be at the congruence of respect and empathy. Perhaps other influences. I don't want a door or a branch slammed in my face, why would I inflict such upon another? What source is the lack of empathy? Time, insensitivity, maliciousness? Value set? I know I am lucky to live where I do, in a generally respectful and mannerly world, but a lot of people do not and I am aware. Often puzzled by that sharpness that invites sharpness ... it's visible but blinkered.

It was a strain to work there since that was symptomatic of the environment. I pondered the question from time to time and never really understood the obliviousness. This was an upper middle class crowd, all well formally educated (MDs, PhDs, JDs, MBAs, and their offspring). But they seemed self-absorbed, generally unfriendly, and devoid of what some would consider common courtesy— friendly mainly when they wanted or needed something.

I typically ascribed it to poor parenting and lack of good example since the parents and children were usually equally “rude.” I ended up feeling they behaved as though they were undisciplined and spoiled—and I didn’t take it to heart —though it was SO different from what I was used to.

I got the impression that it never dawned on them how inconsiderate they seemed.

I always hold a door for an approaching person... but there is an internal time clock going on and if they hesitate a bit, I will often let the door close behind me. I have seldom not been thanked by both men or women, all races.

Once there was a job I took out of necessity ... waiting tables at a gas station/restaurant on the Trans Canada Highway in Northern Ontario. In between more stable work and life situations. Serving people I enjoyed a lot as well as the physicality of it. An eye opener as to the demands of the job - made great friendships. A lot of fun with customers. Learned a lot of working French, some dubious :D

The but ... when the owners would arrive, it was whispered "they're here". The warmth got sucked out of the building. I had never ever worked where adults yelled at one another. A family business, no manners, not one please or thank you to be heard. The cook !! yikes.

Short story ... the parent/owners went on vacation, and by the time they returned they were astounded with #1 that I was still on the payroll and #2 the politeness of the staff!

Nobody likes bad manners. Hang tough for polite :thumbsup:

Another thing that bugs me is Lottery junkies. After the slow burn at the gas pump and park my car. I go in holding the door for someone who doesn't acknowledge the courtesy (a head nod, or grunt would do) I get my coffee only to stand behind a guy cashing in winning tickets and doubling up and scratching new ones while he waits for his change. So now I finally get to the cashier with my cold coffee and and holes burning into my head from the stares as I try to put my 4 dollars back into my pocket. All I need is 3 secs but that doesn't seem quick enough. All is good though just another day in Ct. It will all start all over again tomorrow.

We have that at my supermarket. I’m waiting to exchange my spoiled food —and leave—and the person in front of me is doing 45 lottery transactions.

Seems like eternity, esp because I do not like their loud “music.”

Another annoyance: public “music” that is loud and obnoxious. I would prefer silence.

I get the impression they conduct marketing research to figure out which music causes people to buy more—IME, the music they sometimes choose makes me want to leave ASAP.

People who think it is their mission in life to bitch, moan, and criticize everything in sight. They have ruined many sports boards, gun boards, etc. They are the major reason I don't do social media.

One of the great blessings of retirement and old age is that you don't have to tolerate or be around constantly negative people.

People who think it is their mission in life to bitch, moan, and criticize everything in sight. They have ruined many sports boards, gun boards, etc. They are the major reason I don't do social media.

One of the great blessings of retirement and old age is that you don't have to tolerate or be around constantly negative people.
Though I’m not retired, I reached the point where I disassociated from a few people who always trash talked others and complained for the sake of complaining. It was too much of a strain and I don’t like gossip.

I miss a few of them, and then I remind myself how stressful it was to hear negative comments about everyone and everything.

Solicitor/telemarketers! Ugh, I'm small business owner, so I always have all kinds of people trying to get my money. Recently around mid December 2018 I started getting calls from a telemarketer many with a automated message saying " hi welcome to Retailriches.org We are a work from home business starting at $22.00 an hour working through Amazon and eBay. Something to that extent. When I block the number they call from another number. When I call back you get the same message. They are located in NewYork and Kentucky. Can't get any other numbers to call and no E mail address to contact anyone.

Here's the big problem, I get between 10 and 30 calls a DAY from these idiots. Day and night. I filed a complaint with the BBB the other day. Just wasn't in the mood for this today , they called me like 10 times this morning.

I Called Amazon today, they said there's nothing they can do even though they are advertising with them. I filed a complaint with Josh Stein today with the Attorney Generals office of N.C.
I've never been harassed like this before. I use my phone a lot through out the day, listen to music or watching knife reviews on you tube. Even with the numbers blocked it rings 3 times and disconnects the music and or the video and hangs up. I always check my phone just in case my fiancé needs me or her daughter needs something.

I totaled up 8 different numbers they have been calling me from in the past two days. I really don't want to change my number, a lot of my customers know this number. Of course all they'd have to do is do a google search and I'm easy to find. I've never felt so powerless, I really hope The Attorney General shuts these people down. Harassment! I've never filed a complaint or a negative review against any company in my life. Till now.

I get frequent calls myself from various numbers. They try out of state calls and when I don't answer, they shift to in state call numbers. Google does the same thing. I have a home based business and I absolutely do not want my business shown on some map and I don't care what address they might have it listed under. Not going to help them change it.

Another big one.... DO NOT get roped into letting some person, usually an Indian sounding voice, do any kind of online computer software repair. You will get ripped off and you have no knowledge of where they are actually located to file a complaint or follow up on things for whatever reason.

Krav Krav , I hope you will keep us posted and I wish you luck.

I get approx 5 of those calls a day from fake numbers and other scammers—and it is very disruptive. I screen every call and will call them back if I get a legitimate message. Some of the calls are threatening, and I know older people who really believe they are in trouble with IRS or their computer is broken. I would love to be rid of this nuisance!

I’m curious what/if government can do about this since I’ve heard many of these callers aren’t based in the US.

ETA: just got my first call, “Dow Jones,” left a message, dead air.

Last edited:
They're still calling of course. I'll keep you guys up to date on this. They just called as I'm typing.

On the other hand, I've had these criminal thugs texting me about contracts? To me it was painfully obvious what they we trying to do. This is what a guy texted me the other day. I'll duplicate what he wrote. All the same punctuation.

"Hello, My name is Ernest, I am texting you regarding a painting contract i got your number from manta.com as a good painter Cary, North Carolina. I need your service in my new home, kindly send your email address to me so i can send you details."

Lol, yeh, first off I stopped advertising on manta.com 5 years ago. Two, WTF are you talking about contract. There is no contract till I write a estimate and both parties sign it. It's painfully obvious he is trying to get my email address. They're just smart enough to know I have hundreds even thousands e-mail address, from sending estimates out via E- mail. Contracts...... lol

So just to be safe I sent a text back and said call me, with my number he's texting me from.
Moron.
His reply "okay then you can call me or send me your email so i can get you more about the contract."

Getting really mad at how brazen they are.

I call these Criminals back, most of the time they are texting from a computer so the call doesn't go through. Couple times someone answered, this time he answered.

I said hello this is Krav from krav style painting how can I help you.

His reply " hey yeh, what's up, hey a can you write me a contract".

I said what are you talking about? I said first you need a estimate, if we agree on it, we sign it , then it's a contract. I'm getting really mad now, he said, "what, I couldn't here you?

I had to hang up, and just blocked Ernest.

I'll bet it's the same thug that's been pestering me for years from different number. Usually they text me saying they are in the hospital and they can't speak, but they need the house painted asap.

One joker told me he was in the hospital from cancer. I said wow, what kind of cancer? I know a little bit about the subject? What hospital are you in? Why are you in a rush to paint your house when your going through such a horrible disease? He never replied back, this guy really gets my goat, I've thought about going to the police? Another time he said he said had a speech impediment, that was why he couldn't speak only text or e-mail. I always give them the benefit of the doubt just in case the person telling the truth. What scum, that's low, low, down dirty crap.

Two weeks ago I got a message from attorney office. It was pretty threating, saying you need to call us back within a very short period otherwise they will move forward with the case against me.

I check the Atorneys office just to make sure that was true, it was based out of California.

I called, the attorney got my info plus a case numbers from the recording to verify it was me.

He said when are you going to settle this debt? I said, I have no idea what your talking about about.

He played his little Jedi mind tricks to no avail. Finally I said how much money you talking about?

$2667.00. From Costco. I don't go to Costco, neither does my fiancé. He said are you home now, I said yes, he said good I'm having someone come over right now for you to sign some documents.

Oh yeh, who ever stole my identity had my birthday wrong, that is why this Attorney was going to send paperwork over. Said sure come on by. Finally I think he believed me, never heard anything again.

I lost my wallet about a year ago, could of been from that. I changed everything since then of course. It's like a jungle sometimes, makes wonder how I keep from going under.

.... He said when are you going to settle this debt? I said, I have no idea what your talking about about.....

$2667.00. From Costco. I don't go to Costco, neither does my fiancé.
I suppose if you buy on credit at Costco, you could have a debt. I have never been a member of Costco; Sam's Club, yes. Sam's club does have a credit card issued through Discover as I recall. Costco may be the same.

I suppose if you buy on credit at Costco, you could have a debt. I have never been a member of Costco; Sam's Club, yes. Sam's club does have a credit card issued through Discover as I recall. Costco may be the same.

Nope, never opened up a account from Costco. I'm constantly being bombarded by thieves. Either the Attorney that called me was fake, or someone stole my identity and opened up a Costco card.
The Attorney told me, come on you already made four payments on the card. No, I didn't. No card, no payments and no Costco.

Krav Krav , there has to be something you can do. The first rule of thumb I was told is do not pick up your phone or engage with these people — do not talk to them, give them information, nothing. It will lead to more harassment not less. If it is something real and important, they will leave a message or better yet, send you something in the mail.

I know you are running a business and maybe there is a way to better screen your calls and get around those text messages. Some websites have forms for people to send a message to you without revealing the website owner’s email address. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

I mentioned this in another thread: CC companies have apps that will send you an alert every time your CC is used in real time. It will give you the $ amount and store. You can detect phony purchases immediately, in case you lose your wallet and don’t notice right away.

The fishiest one I had was a woman calling from Europe (switzerland?) trying to collect on an old hospital debt from Germany. (I should never have picked up the phone!) I had personally handled the payment of the debt and had all the paper work and believed it was paid by the insurance company. At first she tried to intimidate me, and then I think she knew I meant business—that the bill WAS paid. She said she was going to call me back and never did. I never knew if it was a scam, an honest mistake, or the insurance somehow failed to pay in full. It was EXTREMELY difficult to work with all parties involved and medical records in German, etc. (our health insurance company uses a separate company for international claims; what a headache; took months to sort out.)

Last edited:
Back