Things that just bug ya?

Krav Krav , there has to be something you can do. The first rule of thumb I was told is do not pick up your phone or engage with these people — do not talk to them, give them information, nothing. It will lead to more harassment not less. If it is something real and important, they will leave a message or better yet, send you something in the mail.

I know you are running a business and maybe there is a way to better screen your calls and get around those text messages. Some websites have forms for people to send a message to you without revealing the website owner’s email address. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

I mentioned this in another thread: CC companies have apps that will send you an alert every time your CC is used in real time. It will give you the $ amount and store. You can detect phony purchases immediately, in case you lose your wallet and don’t notice right away.

The fishiest one I had was a woman calling from Europe (switzerland?) trying to collect on an old hospital debt from Germany. (I should never have picked up the phone!) I had personally handled the payment of the debt and had all the paper work and believed it was paid by the insurance company. At first she tried to intimidate me, and then I think she knew I meant business—that the bill WAS paid. She said she was going to call me back and never did. I never knew if it was a scam, an honest mistake, or the insurance somehow failed to pay in full. It was EXTREMELY difficult to work with all parties involved and medical records in German, etc. (our health insurance company uses a separate company for international claims; what a headache; took months to sort out.)

It's the same companies that have been calling me for years. I never answer my phone, I try to click it to my e-mail. It's always better for me to call people back when I'm home, plus I keep their phone number in my phone till the job is done.

I'm done playing games with telemarketer/solicitors. I've warned all of them at least 10 times each.

If contacting the Attorney General gets them to stop, I'll put a book in my van and start documenting all solicitor calls. What they ask on the form is: did you give them a warning, when was that.
List all number they are calling from.
Do they block you, but still call?
And a lot more questions.

So you have to go through a process. I've never called any of these people. Years ago I'd just say, when they called.
Excuse me, I'm really busy. If you give me your personal phone number I'll be sure to call you back later. They say, sorry I can't give out my phone number. I say, now you know how I feel. Click.

I've asked very kindly, I've begged, to Take me off the calling list to no avail. We'll see how it goes.

This is the next step.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/media/video-0054-how-file-complaint

Last edited:
Before I stopped answering the phone, I threatened to call the AG, took their info, etc., and they never called back. Hope it works for you.

Got a letter from the Department of justice consumer protection agency. I have to give a written statement and what’s my resolution. Trying to put a picture of the paper but I’m having issues loading it.
I just want you all to one thing. I’ve never given anyone a negative review ever, in my life. I don’t like doing this sort of thing, they backed me into a corner. Calls went down to about 3 to 5 a day, and it’s a different automated message. Same ladies voice, but now the are saying retailwork.org started at $23 a hour. But this message gave me the opportunity to cancel press two.

So I’ll write back to them saying all I want is for them to just stop calling me.
So dumb, I have to go through all this.

I am sick and tired of everybody trying to be so “tactical”. That word is soooo over used. Anyone can buy a set of BDUs and call themselves “tactical”.
I know you have seen the YT video, “I just F’n shot myself” - That my friends is very “tactical”

Was booking a hotel room for a few days. I thought I called the actual hotel. Anyway, I reserved a room. They asked me to pay in full up front. At that point, I knew it was another of the hotel booking businesses. But the price per night was satisfactory. So, I authorized the booking. I get a summary and they had added about $100 in "taxes and fees".... this was about a third of the total cost. I didn't even add up the totals when I authorized it.... Get to the hotel to check in.... they had a reservation, but no payment and wanted me to pay again. Problem.... I checked in and resolved the booking, but I still paid a lot more in fees above the room cost that I intuitively thing is correct.

There is little I can do EXCEPT pay attention to the details on the next one if I use a booking business and read before actual committing $. Such is life.

When I called to inquire about the booking on the day checking in, the man I spoke to was in Guatemala. Not a total scam, but they over charged me as I checked with the hotel on taxes and so forth later.

Last edited:
Krav, I would tell them to take you to court to collect the bill and don't want to speak to them until court.

For everyone... there are a lot of scams going on these days as most know and most involve a computer. If someone calls and it is at all fishy, get names, addresses, real phone numbers, and so forth BEFORE proceeding with whatever service they are offering. Call them back on their phone number personally if in doubt.

I told the other guy who's been texting me try to get my e-mail address. Now someone named Ernest with a different number needs my e-mail address so he can send me details for the contract.

I just came right out and said, if you ever contact me again I'll be reporting you to the Attorney Generals office in North Carolina. I said this is your final warning. Then blocked him.

lol I had a different number call today saying, thank you for signing up for......blah blah blah.

I said wait a minute, I didn't sign up for anything. Then he hung up on me. Had to call back and get on the do not call list.

1) People who do whatever they're doing on their phone while driving.
2) Having your kids not buckled up while you're driving.
3) Women putting on makeup while driving.
4) Drunks who drive.
I've experienced all the above at the receiving end. These people need to get slapped in the face by a Mac truck.

I was driving on I-40 a couple of days ago through the gap that goes between Asheville NC and TN. It was dark and it's a two lane interstate with frequent signs that say no trucks in left lane..... The speed limit was 55 mph through there and often you might have to slow down a little on curves. Plus there was a concrete barrier wall very close to the left lane (between the West and East bound lanes). The 18 wheeler was speeding up to 70 mph and swerving around into lanes that he was not in because of his speed taking the curves.... Very dangerous situation and it was hard to see and folks kept putting on their high beams to see better which made for difficult vision if they were in your eyes. I was pissed. Wish there had been a cop around. That truck driver was simply suicidal and dangerous to other vehicles.

I was driving on I-40 a couple of days ago through the gap that goes between Asheville NC and TN. It was dark and it's a two lane interstate with frequent signs that say no trucks in left lane..... The speed limit was 55 mph through there and often you might have to slow down a little on curves. Plus there was a concrete barrier wall very close to the left lane (between the West and East bound lanes). The 18 wheeler was speeding up to 70 mph and swerving around into lanes that he was not in because of his speed taking the curves.... Very dangerous situation and it was hard to see and folks kept putting on their high beams to see better which made for difficult vision if they were in your eyes. I was pissed. Wish there had been a cop around. That truck driver was simply suicidal and dangerous to other vehicles.

I live in Pittsboro N.C. I drive down old 87 sometimes. Same scenario, one lane each way, speed limit 55 winding roads. The loggers running logs are insane, they must be getting paid by the load.
Logger passed me doing 60, into oncoming traffic. I slowed down and let him in front of me. I tried to keep up with him but he was doing beyond 75 mph in the straight ways. It happened another time with the dudes running the dump trucks. We have a lot of building going on around here.

It's one thing to be driving a little fast for conditions, notice it, and adjust, but to stay with the speed and so forth was dangerous. I had to pop on my high beams to keep him in his lane as he swerved around and almost side swiped me. Probably should have simply eased off and let the guy continue with his dangerous driving. Got through the mountain section with the reduced speed and he settled back to the 70 mph speed limit.

In hindsight, I think he was racing to a rest stop because his "driving time" was up as far as his log books. The first rest area he hit that was fairly open, he stopped. One truck driver in my area was prosecuted for man slaughter and other offenses for something similar which resulted in a serious accident killing several people in cars. He went to prison for this one.

Weather..... Wednesday during a thunder storm, lighting took out both of my HVAC systems at my house. It isn't real cold, but it is February and it could get real chilly still.

I received another letter from the DOJ in N.C. About retail riches.com. The letter they sent to the addresses I supplied came back to the DOJ. The address is phony. I supplied two address I found online. They stopped calling, that's all I wanted.

Weather..... Wednesday during a thunder storm, lighting took out both of my HVAC systems at my house. It isn't real cold, but it is February and it could get real chilly still.
You brought back memories of July 2013. We lost several major appliances in one thunder storm—terrible mess. They were 30+ years old and going fine.

The thing that bugs me as much or more is one of the replacements has already died!

Multi taskers in L.A. freeway traffic. You know people driving while eating ,texting , putting on make up or deodorant , all at the same time. That's one.
Second I have to say is People collecting for a funeral on a street corner and the photo changes every week till they finally get chased off.
Sellers that list a knife on Ebay as a real Brand name ( Spyderco, ratworx etc.) and its located in China.( Ripped of there as well.)
Finally sellers that claim there item is " Rare!" and the page is full of the same item.

You brought back memories of July 2013. We lost several major appliances in one thunder storm—terrible mess. They were 30+ years old and going fine.

The thing that bugs me as much or more is one of the replacements has already died!
The quality of the HVAC components don't last much beyond their 10 year warranty cycle (if that). Years ago, these things would last 30 years.

Same goes for refrigerators, washers and dryers.... but they seem to last longer than 10 years; just not 30 years any more. I have a washer and dryer that I purchased new in 1990 and they work just fine. (They are made in the USA.) The only thing that actually works better are cars/trucks as compared to the 60's and 70's and earlier. Japan changed all those expectations.

I generally don't buy knives or much of anything on fleabay any more. Last thing were some hub caps for a '97 Toyota that lost one. Bit hard to find hub caps for a 20 year old vehicle. They were actually quite inexpensive and worked. But were made of a hard plastic versus metal.

Weird weather indeed. It's back! Both pups went sideways when they were let out early this morning so I was well warned before I ventured out (on cleats) to feed the birds.

Wild and storming here and lots more to come if you get into the details - pantry is full, firelogs are stacked by the stove :D Yes, it is February - snow, yes - thunderstorm, yikes - pinch me.

WEATHER WARNING PLUS.JPG

22-rimfire 22-rimfire
That sounds about right to me. We just parted ways with our ‘89 Volvo and not long before that our ‘88. The toyotas (knock wood) are marathoners.

The thing I don’t understand about the alledged energy efficiency scheme is: how is it more efficient to buy 3 appliances instead of one in the same period of time. (That bugs me!) I guess making $ still trumps energy savings.

taldesta taldesta
Sounds lovely! I’m surprised they measure the snow in cm, not meters!:D

We’ve got yo-yo conditions: up and down. 4 deg F to 50+ deg F in the span of 2–3 days. Ice, snow, freezing rain, sun, torrential rain, high winds…

That’s what they say around here: if you don’t like the weather, wait a little bit (it will change).

Back