This is what the Forum is for.

A mysterious Shikari 165
162a5g6.jpg
[/IMG]

That Mysterious Shakiri sure has handsome handles. Is that blade stamped? Any idea of the age?

From what I have been able to deduce, the SHIKARI knives were made early in the pattern's production (circa 1966) as mine have Walden markings and low serial numbers on the pile side, as was common for fixed blades during the Schrade Walden years. Eventually, the as-yet-unknown customer may surface. Unique to this issue was the "pigskin" impressed sheath with stone pocket, and luggage/purse type button closure. If I am correct about the approximate production date, then this sheath was the basis for the later 1969-70 stone pocket sheaths of the Uncle Henry Prospector 165UH issue.

Michael

Awesome stuff.....:thumbup::thumbup:

Here are a couple of my favorites.....

262nvgg.jpg

n6p73l.jpg

Bill

Bill, nice choices!:thumbup:

Thawk and Codger, here are the markings on the Shikari:
316xbpd.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Bill, nice choices!:thumbup:

... markings on the Shikari:

Eric

Yup. The numbers I have seen don't range much higher, and since other than the sheath and shield, it is a production knife, it is logical to believe they were production serial numbers. 1,237 165OT's were indeed shipped in 1966, so if our assumptions are correct, your example dates to 1967.

I do like that change blade Bill! And what is not to like about the scrim! Can you show the newer members a closeup picture of the art and etch on that one?

Michael

Nice thread Larry! Here's my contribution - Some Herman Williams custom stag and a pearl gentleman's knife just for contrast.

Dave

williams7.jpg

Great knives showing up here, in a Festival of Collectors Trophies!
It's true, who doesn't like to show their carefully "hunted" favorites and collections?? Look what you started, LRV!! Ain't we got fun!!
dlk, I like Herman Williams style of Stagging! He represents a continuation of Schrade history, a shoot from the trunk of the old Schrade tree!!

Nothing special, not even sure if they qualify,just my two Frontier Powderhorns. I found them in a pawnshop in a college town, NIB for $30 for the pair.

John
2uqls2f.jpg

Wow so very nice, Increadable colections!! I have a few and I will show em, but I really like what you guys have done!!

thanks mashduck lets see yours!!! stomper nice to see around these parts, hadent heard from ya in a while.- Joel

john- you probablly wanna get rid of that dont ya... now that your making your own knives (nice ones I might add) and your a known buck collector, you've probablly got so much on your plate your probablly dying to get rid of that old thing arent ya, I can get rid of it for ya.LOL - Joel

Man you guys have some sweet Schrades!!!
Maybe one day I will have LARGE Schrade collections like you all
I got a good head start with the Prince Albert tin Joel sent me!
It still has the tobbaca' in it :thumbup:
And I got my dad's 8OT that I found Thanksgiving
That one is priceless to me
( I get choked up just thinking about it)

Here is my all time favorite Schrade knife (fixed blade anyways)
And no I don't have an original sheath for this one either :grumpy:

schrade_sharpfinger.jpg

Of course the best part I like about this knife is the Schrade history
Who made this knife?
Where did he go for lunch that day?
Did he drive a Ford or a Chevy?
Did he like Mets or the Yankees?
Did he put down a half hour for his lunch even though he/she too an HOUR lunch?
Did he like working for Schrade or was he just another worker staring at the clock until quitting time?
Who was the 1st owner of this knife?
What did he pay for it?
What did he use it for?

For some reason I can't get those vivid imaginations with a Chinese Schrade knife
Then again maybe some kid in Beijing has similar imaginations :eek:
Did he drive a Toyota or Nissan?........

I have several boxes filled with knives, but this one is kinda special. Not a NIB knife, but one that my semi-adopted Dad gave me before he passed away a few months ago. Not something to keep and treasure, but something to use. He was a very practical man, fluff did not mean much to him.
2289347377_dd6f4f085b.jpg

Here is one a bit off the beaten track, from back in the vaults of Camillus history. I added a bit of background so that you can understand how it relates to the modern Schrade and Camillus companies.

W. H. Morley & Son was a mark used on imported cutlery by Adolph Kastor & Brothers, importers in NYC.

2i06r1x.jpg

As far as can be determined, the name itself was fictitious and simply intended by the Kastors to Americanize the imported knives for sales appeal. While until recently it was thought that W.H. Morley & Son was a Kastor trademark and nothing more, Mr. Williams has provided me with copies of archive documents which strongly suggest that the name was actually a Kastor owned corporation (?-1950), as was A.W. Wadsworth & Sons (1910-1950) and Stainless Cutlery Co. (1923-1958+).

This particular example is marked W. H. Morley & Son, Germany, indicating the likely manufacture at the Kastor’s Germania Cutlery Works in Ohligs-Solingen under the direction of Nathan Kastor. This Kastor branding was particularly favored for sale by the hardware jobber Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. of Chicago.

The advertising mark
2rzsbp2.jpg

The factory
2cfxr93.jpg

The knife
a41ov6.jpg

As you can see, this simple ebony handled gentleman’s knife is decorated with the Masonic details indicating Freemason 32nd degree. The two blades are a common spear pocket blade and a manicure blade with nail file. The Schrade brothers called this a “Sunfish Lobster” pattern.

John and Charlotte Goins date this mark to circa 1913-1927. We must remember the interruption of the cutlery import business during WWI (May,1915 - July,1919), so if Goins’ early date is correct, this knife dates from 1913-1915, 1919-1927. I am not certain where he found the 1913 date, so it is possible that it could be earlier, definately not much later as the Nazi leadership siezed the factory in 1938.

While this is a quite old knife, as you can see it is not in the best condition. The condition and the lack of popularity of the mark are the reasons I was able to buy it for about ten dollars.

Michael

Here's a nice little addition to the Kastor saga. When Albert Baer was associated with Camillus, he gave this knife, from the Kastor-era archives to a friend. The friend was one of few salesmen who also collected knives.
One of the questions I asked employees of Queen, during tours, and when I was ordering specially made knives was, "do you collect them?". Almost all said no! I can't imagine not collecting myself!! Anyway I was lucky enough to aquire it last year, (for a bit more than $10). Codger got more history for his 10 bucks, so he got the better deal by far! <g>
MorelyClover1.jpg

MorelyClover1Back.jpg

MorelyClover1Tang.jpg

MorelyClover1BackTang.jpg

Codger said...
I do like that change blade Bill! And what is not to like about the scrim! Can you show the newer members a closeup picture of the art and etch on that one?

I'll try to get a couple closeups posted tomorrow.

Bill

Dave, nice Williams collection!! So YOUR the one whose been outbidding me:grumpy::D:D

Nice tie in on the Morley knives, can't say as I have many of the Camillus related knives.
I'm afraid I'd be totally broke rather than almost broke if I ventured any farther into the knife universe:( One question, what does "sole agent" translate to in modern terms?

Eric

Back