This is what the Forum is for.

I know a lot of folks are hearing about the so-called "boards" of knives that Schrade had hanging in the plant. There were a lot of them, with pretty much every knife Schrade ever made hanging in cronological order. Unfortunately, and this really bugs the heck out of me, I never got a chance to see them before the close. I do have a photo of one of them though, it's pictured below. This, and many of the others , was a part of the collection that Herman Williams supplied for the displays. Most of the knife photos in the Schrade section of Sargent's Premium Guide to Pocket Knives were also taken from this collection:
2unvmle.jpg
[/IMG]

This one of the knives from the Williams boards:
33c84t3.jpg
[/IMG]

This one was as well, It's an easy open 2014M. This one is actually pictured on page 229 of Sargent's:
104lumc.jpg
[/IMG]
Eric

Schrade Walden

Waldens_bone.jpg

xxxxxxxxx856xxxxxxxxxxxxxx804xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx883xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx890
xxxxxxxCATTLExxxxxxxx WHITTLERxx xxSTOCKMAN PUNCHxxxxxSTOCKMAN

It is a crying shame those Williams/Factory boards were dismantled! If they'd been detail photographed even, it would have preserved a huge effort that has now gone up in Smokey.... errr smoke.
I had the idea of recreating a semblance of those boards, but It's too expensive now. You just can't find or buy near mint examples anymore, unless you win the lottery.

How do we know they were not extensively photographed when they were still intact and may appear as a trumpcard in an upcoming Schrade book?

Two of the same, almost. the etching on the blades shows what I think was discussed here some while back. One of the blade etches is filled black the other is not.

Rusty1

dsc0063arb1.jpg

How do we know they were not extensively photographed when they were still intact and may appear as a trumpcard in an upcoming Schrade book?
That would be wonderful!! Do you know something about that, Larry??
Or Bruce??

if those displays were professionally photographed, then i would like to see it made into wallpaper. wouldn't that be neat; one whole wall of the study (office, computer room, etc), beautifully showing a complete Schrade Cut. Co./Schrade Walden/Schrade collection ! roland

What are you saying Codger?? Are there some good pictures of the Collections??

Interesting gunstocks Codger, I wasn't aware of Schrade making that pattern. Kind of reminiscent of Walden Knife Co. gunstocks. Very interesting, waiting patiently for the next installment:cool::D:D

Eric

How about another Cut. Co? This is a senator pattern, 8083B. I really like these smaller multi blades, they really show off the knifemakers' talent ( not too much talent in this photography though) :
2m440m8.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

PS - Rusty1, nice Walden FD's! I like the darker background, it really enhances the etch.
Thawk, nice group, especially the 883:eek::D

There were a lot of knives in that Schrade collection. If you tour the Case facility in Bradford, you can get an idea of the extent of it. I could barely tear myself away. There, a lot of the collection is by year. A board contains one of every knife produced that year. There are holes in it, thanks to Jim Parker. Some say it had to be done, blah blah blah. If only some legacy fund was set up to preserve that history. How about it Bill Gates??
LRV, you have gone beyond the call to collect the history on your website, and I, well I'm sure all of us are grateful.

LRV, you have gone beyond the call to collect the history on your website, and I, well I'm sure all of us are grateful.

I'll second that!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Eric

Let's keep 'em coming!

This one is not old, but it has a little history to accompany it.

I bought it from the VERY short-lived Schrade Online Store. It is a 100th Anniversary knife (A80BN) in bone, with OLD TIMER rope shield, 100th blade etch, and TINY serialized front bolster (#010). It took a long time to get to me, and I actually talked with Ms. Debbie Chase
(Oh Debbie...?? anyway, thanks again.) to get the deal completed. I've not seen a knife like it.

4t261e.jpg

nqdyqb.jpg

Notice the plain white box...not too fancy near the end. :(

Bill

Thanks Irv for that photo wall collection i really enjoyed that. I was hoping to see one of my knives on the wall, Oh well nevermind. My Buffallo NRA Aurum Schrade was supposed to be from the wall collection.

I really like the 100th anniversary knife above thanks for posting,

Tim

Back