Thoughts BRADFORD Guardian 3 edc

Bradford all the way. I EDC my Guardian 3 occasionally and I t’s a great knife. The Guardian 4 with 3D scales is my favorite but it’s carried less due to size. It just melts into my hand. They’re both a pleasure to use.

Also, if you look around you can find a deal on a new or used M390 or S30V G3 that might fit your budget.

Reactions: vba
Yeah I mean I've had plenty of decent blades in 1095, aus8, etc but for this one I'd prefer an upgrade, especially when spending $100 plus. This is going to be my EDC and the knife I take hiking/camping so I'd like a blade that's tough but has great edge retention. And comfortable grip. (4 fingered preferred) So it's down to the G3 and white river Backpacker pro. Also like that I can remove backpackers g10 scales and make my own custom handle. I live in coastal Northern California in the redwoods so I want a great knife to take to work and to take in the wilderness.
ziMM8AN.jpg

I love my whiteriver knives, especially the backpacker

Dump the crappy title...don't try to mess with the folks if you want help.
Yes, the Bradford. I've had eight G3 in various steels, M390, 3V, Vanadis 4E. They are great knives and they fit my hand...a large hand. I normally carry a large Sebenza. So using the designed-in choil, it fits just fine.

I don't have experience with bradfords (but guess they're great) but do have some with TOPS (2 knives (or 3? Not quite sure)) and I wouldn't buy another TOPS. IMO they run their 1095 just too soft, I constantly have edge damage on them, and their cutting geometry is... well saying it how it is: it's just bad. They're too soft for hard use and don't cut well enough for general utility use.
I think the bradfords are a great choice, and if you haven't already looked at white river knives: their caper is imo the best small fixed blade out there.

I've never had a Bradford but they look great. I've only had one Tops a Desert Nomad in 440c The edge geometry is great I really like the knife and the sheath

I've had both except my Guardian 3 was in 3v. The Guardian has more handle but I would make sure to not get the false edge. It destroys batons and works against you. Also I will advise to get the contoured handles instead of the checkered or whatever they call it on the guardian.

Personally I sold them both and moved on from the sub 4" fixed blade phase but if I were to get back into it.. I would take an Esee Izula with G10 or Micarta Handles over either of those all day.

I have the orange handled Backpacker Pro and very pleased with it for a general use knife in the woods or even edc. I have no complaints about it. Choice I think depends on just how hard you will use it for a knife this size. It's tough, don't misunderstand me. But it's still a 3" knife.

Bradford's are good knives and I don't think you'd go wrong with one if that is what you decide to do.

Added: The Backpacker Pro is my "small" woods knife. I often carry something in the 5-6" range in the woods. But I generally won't carry anything larger unless it is a special purpose use rather than general use.

Last edited:
Despite your thread title, which others have commented about and can be changed by using Thread Tools I too am a fan of 1095 for hard use afield and have found Becker knives to serve my purposes very well. Have you looked at the BK-16 and/or BK-17?

Hi everyone. So I'm 26 I've been in the outdoors my whole life, was raised around guns and knives and I'm looking for a new edc fixed blade. In $100 range or less. 8inch or less. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Bradford Guardian 3 (n690 version) or the Tops Scandi Trekker 1095. I absolutely love the Guardian design, steel, and The horizontal leather sheath but the handle length at 3.75 with choil gives me some pause.. I like legit 4 fingered grip knives. Now I also love design of Scandi Trekker and it has 4inch handle which will give great 4 finger grip. I know some say pretty spendy for 1095 but it's not just the type of steel matters. It's also the heat treat and tops does excellent job with that so that's not as big of concern. So thoughts would be nice!!! Oh and I need to know WILL THE SCANDI TREKKER FIT IN GUARDIAN 3 HORIZONTAL SHEATH?? I can't find answer anywhere. I know length won't be problem but the guardian handle is thicker and has more width where it enters the sheath and I'm concerned the Scandi trekker won't be secure. Thank you

Check out the Bradford guardian 3.5 it has a more substantial handle but the same blade as the guardian 3. Same leather sheath too. I find the guardian 3 puts your pointer finger right up against the edge in that choil.

I daily carry my bradford and love it, I would say to go with the Guardian 3 but honestly atleast get his M390 you will thank yourself.

I haven't changed the title because I'm busy working and I'm hardly ever on here. Sorry. And I made my decision and bought the Guardian 3 with green g10.. and it's in n690 which from what I've seen and read is a great steel. Not saying it's as good as m390 but for me it's perfect. I just can't afford $150 plus knife. Got mine for $102 and I think it will do just great as edc blade

Despite your thread title, which others have commented about and can be changed by using Thread Tools I too am a fan of 1095 for hard use afield and have found Becker knives to serve my purposes very well. Have you looked at the BK-16 and/or BK-17?
Yeah I've noticed others commenting on thread title, honestly I'm new here and with work I'm hardly ever on. But thanks for telling me how to change it, instead of just complaining about it. I had no clue I could. And yes I have but they're to long for what I want. Was interested in bk11 when my original price range was $50 but idk I just liked the G3 and I wanted a knife to replace folder for edc and I think I made the right choice

Check out the Bradford guardian 3.5 it has a more substantial handle but the same blade as the guardian 3. Same leather sheath too. I find the guardian 3 puts your pointer finger right up against the edge in that choil.
Yeah I totally would have gotten the G3.5 but the handle shape really turned me off, it's basically Izula handle.. I'd much prefer they kept the handle design the same with 3.5 as it is with the 3 and the 4... didn't really make any sense to me..

Reactions: vba
You're at work BUT you can post BUT you're too busy to fix the lame title?
No when I'm at work I have no wifi which means I can't get on, besides that I'm hardly on and I'm new to bladeforums. Not to mention people complained but I didn't know I could change it until I just saw post from other person telling me how. I've been busy, this is first time I've checked it in I think 2 days, and when I saw the comments just now I changed it. Sorry if it was an inconvenience

Dump the crappy title...don't try to mess with the folks if you want help.
Yes, the Bradford. I've had eight G3 in various steels, M390, 3V, Vanadis 4E. They are great knives and they fit my hand...a large hand. I normally carry a large Sebenza. So using the designed-in choil, it fits just fine.
Yeah once I was told I could, I did. I'm new here and was Not trying to mess with anyone. Saw another guy do something similar on his and no one had a problem with it. Honestly didn't think I'd get this many responses which is great. Now I know that people will respond to help out. Other sites are not the same. And thanks yeah I ordered the G3 tonight

You would have gotten answers without the click bait title. Dicking around members is not a great way to start here.

Get the Bradford.
Again I apologize for the title. I didn't mean to insult or mess with anybody. I Didnt think I'd really get any responses at all actually. From My experience with other forum type websites. It worked for other guy on here, forgot what forum it was, been through so many over last two weeks and yeah no one had a problem with it on that one. But now I know people do and that they'll help/respond to any title thread or forum so it won't happen again. And once I knew how I changed it. And thanks yeah I bought the guardian earlier tonight. Should be here Wednesday

Back