Thoughts on the ZT0308?

If you ask me the majority of the ZT line is ugly as it gets.No visual appeal or some may say Sexy Appeal.

The old 0300s were nice,stylish and beefy.

I got mine today. It's big and heavy but well made. Edge seems thinner than the 0223. I like it, a little heavier than I normally carry but it offers a little bit of nostalgia to the older 300 series that I de assisted and carried for along time. The 0308 will definitely see pocket time.

Last edited:
If you ask me the majority of the ZT line is ugly as it gets.No visual appeal or some may say Sexy Appeal.

The old 0300s were nice,stylish and beefy.

That's your opinion and you're totally entitled to it. I happen to think the new ZTs are plenty stylish. Again, that's just one man's opinion.

Hell, there are people out there who think Amy Schumer is sexy so it's all good!

Amy Shumer couldn't spell sexy. ;)

But there are some real deals on ZT's now since KAI has temporarily foregone MSRP.

Not a fan of the milled pattern on the frame. I'd also prefer that both sides be made of the same material, but that's just my preference.

Mine arrived yesterday. Initial impression is that it's well built. It needs to be broken in as the detent is very strong. Or perhaps the ergo's are not a fit for my hand? It certainly has a small flipper and I think that along with the strong detent is making my grip odd. I need to certainly give it more time, which I will. It fires open nicely and the knife is fairly smooth compared to my 301. I was expecting the pattern on the handle to be rougher, and the little bit of jimping on the top of the blade is fairly mild compared again to my 301. I'll have some pics up later.

Wanted to add that I noticed something that might be a problem down the line with my particular 0308: the hole for the detent ball appears to have badly cracked when they pressed the detent ball in. The ball is still secure in the hole but in time it might pop out and ZT would have to replace the entire lock-side frame on my knife. I don't know why they insist on doing the detent ball in titanium rather than in the replaceable insert, or why they insist on placing the detent hole so close to the edge of the lock bar.

I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how this issue fares. Been carrying it daily since I got it and so far it has held up.

Wanted to add that I noticed something that might be a problem down the line with my particular 0308: the hole for the detent ball appears to have badly cracked when they pressed the detent ball in. The ball is still secure in the hole but in time it might pop out and ZT would have to replace the entire lock-side frame on my knife. I don't know why they insist on doing the detent ball in titanium rather than in the replaceable insert, or why they insist on placing the detent hole so close to the edge of the lock bar.

I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how this issue fares. Been carrying it daily since I got it and so far it has held up.
I'd just send it back to them now

Received mine just a couple of hours ago. I echo TX180SX TX180SX that the detent is very strong. You need to press firmly the flipper tab to open the blade or otherwise your finger will hurt. The blade is very tall thus making it actually thin behind the edge - should be a good slicer as compared to many other ZTs. Ergo is good. The pivot hole is still ugly although I can live with it. The whole knife gives me the impression that I am holding a bulldog in hand. Overall it is a good knife at $240 (not sure about the MAP price @$300).

I'd just send it back to them now
I anodized and dyed my own knife, so unless I have to fix it, I'd rather hold off. I'm not sure how their warranty group will respond to my knife being modded.

Plus the lock and detent work perfectly and I don't want to give ZT a chance to mess that up for me. I've used their warranty service before with less-than-stellar results...

I anodized and dyed my own knife, so unless I have to fix it, I'd rather hold off. I'm not sure how their warranty group will respond to my knife being modded.

Plus the lock and detent work perfectly and I don't want to give ZT a chance to mess that up for me. I've used their warranty service before with less-than-stellar results...
Ah ok, I just got back my 620cf that had some damage and they managed to fix it and send it back to me pretty quickly. They didn't seem to mind that I messed it up even further trying to fix it lol

I took my own advice and waited until I could snag an 0308 on the Exchange for a price I was more comfortable with, and it's just come in today. What a fantastic knife! :D

The 0300/0301/0302 has always looked like a great knife to me (which I missed purchasing before they were discontinued), but a bit expensive for the materials and -- more significantly -- potentially having pocket issues like the 0200. On the 0200, which I have owned, the cool 3-D machining on the clip side made it murder to get into or out of my pocket, and while the clip side on the 0300 was Ti rather than G10 it looked to me liked it shared the same orientation of those nubs -- lateral, rather than in line with the blade.

On the 0308, the machining pattern is oriented with the flow of the knife. No pocket issues whatsoever. And it's got such a broad blade that with its 0.16" stock and high flat grind it should be a heck of a slicer, while still having a substantial handle and a beast of a pivot.

6SoyWY9.jpg

I took my own advice and waited until I could snag an 0308 on the Exchange for a price I was more comfortable with, and it's just come in today. What a fantastic knife! :D

The 0300/0301/0302 has always looked like a great knife to me (which I missed purchasing before they were discontinued), but a bit expensive for the materials and -- more significantly -- potentially having pocket issues like the 0200. On the 0200, which I have owned, the cool 3-D machining on the clip side made it murder to get into or out of my pocket, and while the clip side on the 0300 was Ti rather than G10 it looked to me liked it shared the same orientation of those nubs -- lateral, rather than in line with the blade.

On the 0308, the machining pattern is oriented with the flow of the knife. No pocket issues whatsoever. And it's got such a broad blade that with its 0.16" stock and high flat grind it should be a heck of a slicer, while still having a substantial handle and a beast of a pivot.

6SoyWY9.jpg

I’m still mad at you for beating me to this by seconds

Yeah it happens too often. I’m sure another will come around. They were selling from retailers for around that price in March. Even if I have to wait til Black Friday, I will get this knife and the 223. We have to support the USA made knives.

Back