Thoughts on Tony Bose collaboration Case knives?

I don't expect perfection in the Case/Bose collabs, I wouldn't expect it in a knife made by Tony on his best day. But those QC issues aren't just figments of our collective imagination.

51742524966_df003384cf_c.jpg

Take a look at the nail nick on the wharncliffe blade of this WT. Notice anything off? It's not as crisp as it should be, especially when you compare it to the nail nick on the clip blade. Each and every picture of a Case/Bose WT I've seen posted has this same flaw. It's something I can live with, but that nail nick is absolutely a QC fail.
I do see what you mean. These are cut differently, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. They're both done well, and serve their purpose. I suspect the same cutler didn't do both blades. Just my guess though.
UIt6F2E.jpg

My Norfolk also has a raised shield... but I really like it.
It perfectly even all the way around and is inset beautifully.
The really cool thing to me is that the raised shield matched the height of the bolsters and the center pin... they are all raised evenly.
I feel this is a design choice and not a QC issue, they are just all too evenly matched to be a mistake... and I find them to be a tactile benefit.

I do see what you mean. These are cut differently, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. They're both done well, and serve their purpose. I suspect the same cutler didn't do both blades. Just my guess though.
UIt6F2E.jpg

What has been seen can never be unseen. You're welcome Gary! 😁

Executing a proud shield in jigged bone and stag is one of the more difficult and detail oriented features you can do on a tradition knife. Ask me how I know. Lol! If someone is saying it's a qc issue you should probably get away from traditionals and focus on something else.

20220120_154621.jpg

Screenshot_20220122-090124_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220122-090159_Gallery.jpg

I've got one, it's a nice knife and I have carried it and cut stuff with it. It performed as expected, it's a knife. Yes it has superior materials and construction, ie, mill relieved liners, but it also has an extremely proud shield with sharp edges. Those sharp edges are uncomfortable in hand and were a major disappointment to me. I have been tempted to take it to the buffer to soften those edges, but that is not something I was expecting in a product at this price range. However, truth be told I got this one second hand, and the original owner actually gave the knife a dye bath because he was not happy with the original dye job from Case. So I got this one for a pretty reasonable price. All that being said, I am happy to own it and will probably never let it go, as TB is gone. It's a rather large knife but it does pocket well in jeans. Maybe I will give that shield a ride on my buffing wheel and tame those sharp edges of the shield. When I did use it, I was not hesitant to slice cardboard, cut plastic, etc. It's just a knife and was made to be used.

coVxjwd.jpg

BADMZwd.jpg

upyQ9G5.jpg
Regarding my previous post, I admit, this one is a little too proud. Buffing it won't do much. If you have any arts and crafts aptitude you can message me and I can try to explain how I would go about softening those edges up. ;)

I recalled Tony addressing the proud shield a while back. Below is the post in question:
The shields are pinned on the LC so they can't fall off. The shield on a bone handled knife has to be left proud or you would grind the jigging off the bone when you ground the shield pins off. People wouldn't be happy if they did that. You can make them flush on any smooth handle material but not bone or stag.

As for the primary topic, I have a number of the Case/Bose collabs and I think they make great users. That said, I no longer use knives as hard as I did back on the farm growing up, but these are definitely solid. I’ve only rejected one for QC issues, but if I look hard enough I could probably find some issue with nearly every production knife I pick up.

I think they are wonderful knives. There’s something magic about Tony’s designs…..they just have the look. I enjoy traditional knives for the history, among other things, and I think Tony was unparalleled in his attention and knowledge in that regard. That justifies the price to me, but if I were only were after a well executed knife then maybe that would be different.

I sold mine off a few years back, but all the ones I had were excellent...some more than others, but not a lemon in the group.

Haven't kept up on the last few years additions.

The only one I've owned is a stag lockback whittler. The stag was not as gnarly as some larger single blade knives I've owned, but fit the whittler nicely. The f&f was easily the equal of any of my customs and since I paid less than half of the MSRP I was thrilled. 20180906174640~2-1148x862.JPG

Last edited:
The really cool thing to me is that the raised shield matched the height of the bolsters and the center pin... they are all raised evenly.
I feel this is a design choice and not a QC issue, they are just all too evenly matched to be a mistake... and I find them to be a tactile benefit.

Also look at how beautifully flush the springs are on this one. I suspect this is not easy on this pattern.

BD6B69F7-7F22-4D9D-A259-F89083983A6C.jpeg
I don’t think a person can go wrong with a Case/Bose collaboration. They are a bit pricey but can occasionally be found at a fair price. I know people like to say at a certain price point you can go custom, but I can’t think of anyone who can build a multi blade knife of this quality at this price point.

View attachment 1726222
I don’t think a person can go wrong with a Case/Bose collaboration. They are a bit pricey but can occasionally be found at a fair price. I know people like to say at a certain price point you can go custom, but I can’t think of anyone who can build a multi blade knife of this quality at this price point.
Good point

A few years ago, you could...but...those days appear to be past.

I have three currently. Had let a Norfolk and Cattle knife go a while back. I'm not a hard knife user by any means, but I do enjoy carrying and using these three.

Uqm90n7.jpg

The Eureka Jack is the most recent addition, and has become a bit of a pocket hog.

I tend to like it as well. I’ve seen it a lot on older traditional knives, and as Mr. Bose said, it keeps the jigging around the shield intact, which I quite like.

UIt6F2E.jpg

Executing a proud shield in jigged bone and stag is one of the more difficult and detail oriented features you can do on a tradition knife. Ask me how I know. Lol! If someone is saying it's a qc issue you should probably get away from traditionals and focus on something else.

View attachment 1726146

View attachment 1726149

View attachment 1726150

I recalled Tony addressing the proud shield a while back. Below is the post in question:

As for the primary topic, I have a number of the Case/Bose collabs and I think they make great users. That said, I no longer use knives as hard as I did back on the farm growing up, but these are definitely solid. I’ve only rejected one for QC issues, but if I look hard enough I could probably find some issue with nearly every production knife I pick up.

I think they are wonderful knives. There’s something magic about Tony’s designs…..they just have the look. I enjoy traditional knives for the history, among other things, and I think Tony was unparalleled in his attention and knowledge in that regard. That justifies the price to me, but if I were only were after a well executed knife then maybe that would be different.

Point taken! It would have been better if they looked like the nicks on this Chamblin WT, but then again I paid almost twice the price as the Case/Bose WT.
SXwWzX4.jpg

I think these points argue to the contrary. The price reflects that these are quality hand made knives, individually produced (at least so we are informed) by craftsman that CASE considers to be the best at their arts, and not mass produced via stamping machines.

I have three currently. Had let a Norfolk and Cattle knife go a while back. I'm not a hard knife user by any means, but I do enjoy carrying and using these three.

Uqm90n7.jpg

The Eureka Jack is the most recent addition, and has become a bit of a pocket hog.
That stockman is absolute fire!

Use it i
Also, it's perfectly flush open and closed, and almost perfectly flush at half stop.
And now, thanks to this thread... it's in my pocket right now... waiting to be us
Y
Also, it's perfectly flush open and closed, and almost perfectly flush at half stop.
And now, thanks to this thread... it's in my pocket right now... waiting to be used.
You nailed a good one brother. Carry it in good health and enjoy. Tony was a staunch advocate of carrying his knives.

Last edited:
Back