Tidings and the return of Schatt and Morgan?

I have a factory sample from the Ken Daniels era, not known for their quality, yet this is one of the most perfect knives I own.

aiaomIa.jpg

Nice knife. Thanks to their reputation some of those Queens are a real bargain. Ken Daniels was also involved in the early days of GEC :)

But I think maybe those photos are more of a wip teaser than a factory sample. They don’t even all have a shield. I think wait and see.

Nice knife but it has nothing to do with the new S&M. Some guy buying the rights to use the name at a bankruptcy auction is a very tenuous connection to the old company.

Nice knife but it has nothing to do with the new S&M. Some guy buying the rights to use the name at a bankruptcy auction is a very tenuous connection to the old company.

Well, to my understanding, that gentleman also purchased most (or all, reports vary) of the old knife-making machinery and equipment from Queen/S&M at that auction. It is my understanding that these new knives are being made on the old Queen machinery. Now, the cutlers doing the work are of course, another story.

I understand that completely.... I posted the photos as this is a forum populated with S&M fans and I thought the viewers might enjoy seeing it... My apologies.....

Are there any reports/indications when these may hit the market?

Lifted this tid bit from a site called knife newsroom. Article from 2006, I came across it when this thread was still new. From my understanding every major brand including Case has had many such ownership changes. I do applaud the man who bought it for attempting to keep the brand USA made. Seems QUEEN bought the brand from a bankruptcy. Please understand I'm not trying to be argumentative just wanted to add to the conversation :):thumbsup:
Anyway here's the article.
Let’s talk about the intriguing history of the company, and then we’ll speculate about the potential future of the brand.

In 1902, the Board of Trade for the city of Titusville brought Schatt & Morgan Cutlery from Gowanda, NY to their town to create jobs. According to Mrs. Dewey P. (Lavona) Ferguson in “Romance of Collecting Cattaraugus, Robeson, Russell, and Queen Knives (1978)”, Titusville “built for them a new building” which would eventually become a legendary knife manufacturing facility. An article in the Titusville Herald from December 1902 amusingly states, “The people of Gowanda are in a measure inconsolable for the loss of their principal industry….”

John Schatt was the President of the company, Charles Morgan was the Vice President. Eight years into the business, for reasons unknown, Morgan bought out Schatt, and Morgan became the President of the company.

1918-1922
For the next eight years, Schatt & Morgan did well. Enter Queen City Cutlery. Mrs. Ferguson tells us Queen City Cutlery Company was founded in 1918. It operated the first four years without an official name in a garage behind the Titusville High School. Its initial business was making “contract knives.” In 1922 they adopted the name Queen City Cutlery.

Know what else happened in 1922? According to David A. Krauss’s “American Pocketknives”, five guys were fired from Schatt & Morgan for stealing knives without handles from the factory floor and selling them. Guess who those five guys were? If you guessed the founders of Queen City Cutlery Company, you’d be right, unless you were talking to Mrs. Dewey P. (Lavona) Ferguson. She states they were all, “top notch employees of Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Company.”

For about 10 years, Schatt & Morgan continued making knives and some straight razors. Ferguson tells us in the delicate manner we’ve come to love, “Unfortunately, Schatt & Morgan went broke in 1930.” Queen Cutlery – the five guys who were fired – bought Schatt & Morgan during the bankruptcy proceedings. According to the Titusville Herald, “Immediately, former president Charles Morgan was brought on board to be a salesman for Queen.”

You read that correctly. Queen Cutlery bought the company they were fired from (Schatt & Morgan) and then hired the former President as a sales rep. Did they hand him salt to rub in his surely wounded pride or were there other shenanigans of which we are unaware?

I have been informed that the new release Schatt & Morgan are to be released with in the next month all going well, just thought you may like an update.
I think we hear this every month in this year. Just can't wait for the release already...

Mate, i have an update for you, we are going to be waiting a while, possibly a fair while. They are having issues which has put every thing back, release of these not on the radar at the moment.
What kind of issues? I have been hoping this venture would have some good luck going forwards.

Mate, i have an update for you, we are going to be waiting a while, possibly a fair while. They are having issues which has put every thing back, release of these not on the radar at the moment
Big thanks for the info!

If you go to the Cutlery Corner website (realize probably not a favored destination of members here) you can search and see they are now selling "New Schatt & Morgan" knives to the tune of $250. They also are selling a "Weed & Co." stag trapper knife made by Cooper Cutlery for $185. I actually like the looks of the stag trapper, although could do without the "weed" badge.

Back