Top 10 blades everyone should own

Forget the knives.........

Screen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-2-56-09-pm.jpg

Hahahaha!

That's a ridiculous claim that you can in no way back up. Like I said, look up the difference between objective and subjective, because you don't have it figured out yet.
It's ridiculous to claim that objectively most people want a pocket knife that weighs around 5 ounces or less, has a pocket clip, can be opened and closed with one hand, has steel with decent edge retention, and has a pocket clip? Really? ...really?

Anyway, I got the cops called on me for my antics here, so I'll stop commenting. I apologize to anyone I hurt. I guess...

I honestly can't recommend a whole 10 knives that everyone should own. I can recommends few though. Only knives I actually own.

The Tough Guy: Spyderco Shaman. It can do pretty much anything I need a folding knife to do.
The Slicy Guy: TRM Atom. It really does glide through material.
The Maybe I Might Wanna SD Guy: Spyderco Yojimbo 2. It's gonna cut deep no matter what you point it at.
The Action Showpiece: Microtech SOCOM Elite. The pop of opening it is so fun. Drops shut like a knife 3 times the price.
The Premium Knife: Medford Slim Midi Marauder. It's legitimately better than a Sebenza for me in every way.
The I'm a Big Jerk and Spend Too Much: Medford Praetorian T. It looks like a mini hatchet in your hands, and the sound of it locking up will wake your neighbors.
The I Need to Destroy Something: ESEE Junglas. This knife sails through annoying big materials.

Actually, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have owned every highly recommended knife under the sun including the 110 in multiple variations. The knife sucks. You literally wrote a paragraph on how to fix the dumb thing and that was your argument. Sorry, the stock 110 that ships in garbage 420HC is a lame, outdated knife and everyone knows it. Just a bunch of people in denial soaking in nostalgia.

I can't wait till I get me a 110 auto. I'm only 60 and an asshole half the time.:p

Case Peanut
Buck 110/112 - Possibly an auto if legal in your area
Buck 110/112 Slim Pro
Buck Vantage
Buck 119/102
SAK...your choice(s)
Opinel
Mora
A chopper of some sort, mine is an ESEE Junglas
These are the ones that are essential for me at this point in time. I have spent much more on knives throughout this addiction, CRK, RH, etc. I still have my Busse TGLB and my wife's Olamic Damascus Voykar on display due to the stories behind their acquisition

Spyderco PM 2 - Just to say you've tried one.
CRK Sebenza - I have had numerous examples, fantastic quality, but in the end, I decided they were not for me.

It's not a good folding knife. In any objective way. It sucks. You have to two hand open and close it, you have to belt carry it, which is dumb, nobody does that for folders anymore, the blade steel is awful, it weighs half a pound, it's pinned and cannot be dissembled or cleaned..

Anyone telling you to buy a Buck 110 is either 80 or an asshole.
I've carried a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT lockback pretty much every day since 1967 or 1968, including school days, to church, and when I worked in an office.
Opening two handed is not a big deal. What's the rush?
Opening a knife two handed on a ladder is no big deal, and I loathe ladders and heights.

The current 420HC blade steel is crap?
News to me. It works just fine for millions of people.
All Buck blades (with possible exception of those made offshore) have the BOSS heat treat.
If you don't like 420HC for whatever reason,
you can find a pre 1981 that has 440C as the standard steel. 81 to 85(?) 86(?) they used 425M, there are BG42 bladed 110's out there.
Buck currently offers S30V in their custom shop.
Some dealers like SK Blades offer them with CPM154. SK Blades also had one with S90V, I think it was.
If you want carbon steel, Copper & Clad has them with 5160 carbon steel blades.

The standard 420HC is easy to sharpen and will hold an edge long enough to peel 3 maybe 3 and a half deer before it needs stropped.

The standard brass and steel dies weigh 7.4 ounces; a little more than a modern knife.
(If that is "too heavy" I'd suggest you visit and use a gym.) The weight is not felt on your belt, any more than a S&W K frame, 1911, or any other handgun.
If you gotta have a light weight, get thd 110LT at only 3.4 ounces.
There have been some aluminum and Ti framed 110's as well. The ones with a Ti frame have a different model number though. The early Ti frames were also screwed construction and could be taken apart, as well.)
Not everyone needs the latest and (alleged) greatest blade steel.

As for not being able to take them apart ... so? There are several knives with screwed construction that can't or shouldn't be taken apart, too. Just because something can be taken apart doesn't mean it should be.
I believe it is Benchmade that says if if you take one of their knives apart, the warrantee is void.
Speaking of warrantee, in the unlikely event your Buck has a warranty ussue, you can send it in. It is under warranty for as long as there is a Buck Knives company owned by the Buck family.
Unlike most, you don't have to be the original retail purchaser for the warrantee to be valid.
Last year I was gifted a GEC made in 2011. Because I am not the original owner, it is out of warrantee.
Same for the Case and one Cold Steel knives I have.
(nog thzt the new owners of Cold Stedl are honoring the warrantee for the knives made before they bought tbe company, anyway, so none of my CS knives, even those I bought new 5 to 10 years ago are under warrantee anymore.)

I've never had a problem cleaning my lockbacks or slipjoints after peeling and gutting a critter, cleaning a fish, or using it in an auto or welding shop. Hold it under running water or swish in a bucket of water; it's clean.
By the way, remenber that anything exposed to the atmosphere isn't steril. You got dust, pollen, mushroom and toadstool spores, soot/smoke, bacteria, and viruses, among other things, in the air.
Oh, please recall the "best" cleaning agents only "kills 99.9% of the germs". The 0.01% that survive and their offspring are immune to those cleaning agents. "Super Germs" they're called.
"Steril" is a myth. Always has been, always will be.
Their primary breeding grounds are hospitals.)

BTW: I'm not 80, and I been called a lot worse than the latter. :D

Last edited:
When I started to buy reputable brand knives, I wanted at least one from as many manufacturers as I could afford. So I have (at least one) knives from Cold Steel, Spyderco, ZT, Kershaw, Kizer, Buck, OKC, Case, SAK and my favourite, Benchmade. I have a couple of Grohmann as well.

This way, if I'm in the Spyderco forum, I fondle one of my Spyderco's, in the Buck forum, one of my Buck's, Benchmade forum, one of my Benchmade's etc...

It's ridiculous to claim that objectively most people want a pocket knife that weighs around 5 ounces or less, has a pocket clip, can be opened and closed with one hand, has steel with decent edge retention, and has a pocket clip? Really? ...really?
You stated it was an objective claim. That means you need to provide hard research about the preferences of the majority of people that carry knives, I'll happily wait for you to provide that, or you can just admit you made a subjective assumption and wildly overstated your case.

You also claimed the 110 objectively weighed half a pound, that IS an objective claim, but in an objective sense it's simply wrong. You claimed it was objective that it's steel was 'below Chinese budget steel', not at all an objective claim as there's no objective measure of something as vague as 'below' and you failed to even specify a Chinese steel, you also claimed that it objectively isn't easily manipulated with one hand, which is practically the definition of a subjective claim as there is no objective measure of how easy or hard a knife is to manipulate.

I stand by my statement, you've confused your opinions and preferences with objective facts because you don't understand the difference between objective facts and subjective statements.

ETA: It's actually kind of funny that you attack the 110 as not meeting most people's needs or expectations when they've sold 15 million of them, easily more than any folding knife that doesn't start with 'Opinel' or 'Victorinox'.

Last edited:
Oh, for the sake of full disclosure, the Buck 110 doesn't really work for me. It's too heavy, I prefer a blade steel with slightly better edge retention and I prefer pocket clips and one handed opening methods. I just also recognize those are my, personal, preferences and think that if you're serious about knives you should, at some point, own a 110 and see how it works for you.

Even further disclosure, I still kinda want a 110 set up in one of those fancy quick draw sheaths because they look cool. :p

Hard to do ten, with specific models, I guess and without experience with many of those mentioned. I will name a few that people should have or try at some time in their lives. Highly subjective, but that is the fun of this, no need to start an argument, but ok to have different opinions. Those are not in any order of importance either.
Swiss Army knife (some kind of scout knife), Buck 110 or lighter variants , Schrade Old Timer three blade stockman in carbon steel, Case Trapper, Opinel 8, Buck 119, Kabar Mark 2, some kind of Kephart, a good machete, and a Mora. There I done it!! And with just some thought. And a few honorable mentions: any bird and trout knife, a good kukuri, a Demo knife any make, some French folder ( for going to Sunday meetings) or ball end knife, and a Hudson Bay knife. Again YMMV.

edited:how could I forget the case peanut? Or something like it. :rolleyes:

Ok, after reading a few more, I forgot to add at least an affordable custom, I’d say between 75.00 to 200.00 +or-, like a JK Or Fiddleback, to at least experience the quality of a well made custom knife. The ergonomics of the handle, good blade geometry and the fit and finish. I remember the first time, I was a virgin then, of feeling how good the handle felt on my WAS Bush Adder, a Fiddleback family member. How light and comfortable it was, that shows how Andy and his apprentices can make a good knife.

Last edited:

In no particular order:

Buck 110
: It's iconic. If it's too big and heavy for you, check out a smaller version like the 112 or 55.

Traditional multiblade slipjoint: something like a Case peanut or stockman or trapper, etc.

Opinel: What ever size you like. Get one in carbon steel, if you are used to stainless. Learn about the care and feeding of patina

Swiss Army Knife

medium sized fixed blade knife:
something you'd take camping

Big ol' machete: just because it's fun.

fancy modern folder with modern steel:
anything by Spyderco is a safe bet, Benchmade, ZT, etc.

not-fancy modern beater knife:
Kershaw, CRKT, Buck Vantage, various Chinese brands, etc. Use it for messy stuff that you don't want to use your fancy knife for.

Leatherman multitool
very useful and non threatening for most work environments

Free space: Whatever obvious choice I've overlooked.

The standard brass and steel dies weigh 7.4 ounces; a little more than a modern knife.
(If that is "too heavy" I'd suggest you visit and use a gym.) The weight is not felt on your belt, any more than a S&W K frame, 1911, or any other handgun.
If you gotta have a light weight, get thd 110LT at only 3.4 ounces.
There have been some aluminum and Ti framed 110's as well. The ones with a Ti frame have a different model number though. The early Ti frames were also screwed construction and

If you're saying you don't feel a 1911 on your belt, you're full of poo.

I carry a Glock and it annoys me.

#1 Buck 110, it comes in several models from the standard size and weight that working men appreciate to the LT that’s a mere 3.4 oz. and the slims that have a thumb stud and pocket clip for one handed operation. I can one hand the standard model and I know others without learning disabilities who can as well. Lol.

#2 a small to medium sized stockman like the USA made Old Timer 34OT or Buck 303 cadet. They pocket nice and can handle a lot of tasks for a small knife.

#3 what ever else you might need in a fixed blade or multi tool. There’s just to many other good knives to mention but my first two choices are basic and a good starting point. Others have mentioned some very good knives that are just as fitting.

Oh, for the sake of full disclosure, the Buck 110 doesn't really work for me. It's too heavy, I prefer a blade steel with slightly better edge retention and I prefer pocket clips and one handed opening methods. I just also recognize those are my, personal, preferences and think that if you're serious about knives you should, at some point, own a 110 and see how it works for you.

Even further disclosure, I still kinda want a 110 set up in one of those fancy quick draw sheaths because they look cool. :p

my dad bought a buck 110 in the 60s and has used it ever since. He is a one knife, one rifle, one shotgun guy.

He bought me a buck 110 when I was a teenager in the 90s. I have since lost it. Maybe I need to find another one from that vintage just to have.

Tough question. I can’t say my must haves should be everyone’s must haves, but if I lost any of these, I’d rebuying them.

alox Minichamp (can double as a gentleman’s folder when I’m dressed up)
Pioneer X
Leatherman ST300
Izula II
Fallkniven F1
Buck 124
Junglas
Spyderco Police
Delica
XM-18

I really like this thread and keep find myself coming back to it. My list is more about types or features than the particular model. But I think I pretty much agree with the ones that keep coming up with a couple of tweaks/additions.

ZT 562CF (like buying a Hinderer, but not having to hide the cost from my wife)
Spyderco Para3/PM2 (compression lock and Spydie flick)
Spyderco Delica (lock back with Spydie flick option)
Basic Swiss Army knife (true pocket multi-tool)
Basic Leatherman Multitool (like the Rebar)
ESEE Izula II (baby fixed blade with default of micarta)
Swamprat RMD (shorter bush-type knife)
Busse Team Gemini (crazy ergos for the size)
RMK model 1 (or similar handle type)

All the others I am tempted to put on the list are more particular to my tastes and use. But I think these give a good sampling of features/styles.

This is mine:
1) 240mm Gyuto since that's really the knife I use the most. My daily user is a 240mm Tsourkan 52100 workhorse
2) A good bread knife since they are also great for slicing things like tomatoes. I have an inexpensive Tojiro ITK 270mm. It's so sharp my wife is afraid to use it :)
3) Vic Alox. Pick the one you want but for me it's the Rancher
4) Stockman. If you have only one slip joint then this is the king
5) Spyderco PM2 simply because it is a great knife that is made in the US and crazy smooth
6) Spyderco Delica or Endura as they are classics and you can experiment with a variety of steels
7) A good flipper. My choice these days has been the Gen6 Hinderer XM-18 including the regular and skinny
8) Becker BK9 for backyard or camping
9) CRK Sebenza
10) Some really good kitchen sheers. You would be amazed at how useful these are

Reactions: DMG
Back