Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

ugYRYtL.jpg

rDf0V7h.jpg

My old Ross and one of my nicer Challenge punch stockmans.
Nice old rifle, my grandma (!) snagged it at an estate sale for 80 dollars. Apparently nobody there was into old guns, haha!

Nice rifle; have you fired it? What caliber? Nice cattle knife, too. Challenge also made some nice stockmans.

Its .303 British. I have fired it, its a pretty good rifle overall, the bore is dark but it gauges nearly new at the muzzle and throat according to Grandpa's machine gun toolbox. I sourced some new ammo from Prvi Partizan to test it with to avoid the old cordite crap you can run into with old surplus and it runs fine. I had it sweating old rack oil pretty fast when I decided it was safe to do it, the straight pull bolt is great. It's about a mile long, plenty of room for good peeping. Clay pigeons arent very safe out on the hundred meter berm, good enough for me.

Challenge made great stuff. I've got scissors, razors, drafting tools, and a few ink scrapers as well as heaps of their knives. I haven't been able to luck into an 'honest', full size stockman that isn't ready to be retired quite yet, but I sure did get into a mess of these equal end stockmen with punches.. cattle knives, whatever you want to call that pattern.. that one in the pic is practically new feeling, and great covers too. Love that old bone thats seen 4 generations' worth of pockets and chores.

That's a pretty, smooth revolver.. I think they look pretty cool when you scan things like that. The super white light makes the blueing look awesome. You can appreciate how a good blue finish isn't one color at all, but a stack of colored layers that add up to midnight oil.

This Winchester Model 62A (.22S, .22L, .22LR), produced in 1947, pairs well with a Case 35 jack from 1940-1964. The 62A, a successor to the Model of 1890 and Model 62, was introduced in 1940 and this one is a slick shell shucker. Looks and shoots like new - a real conversation starter. Production of this line ended in 1958 after more than 409,000 Model 60/60As.

9SzAfUj.jpg

Q3X6cxd.jpg

- Stuart

This Winchester Model 62A (.22S, .22L, .22LR), produced in 1947, pairs well with a Case 35 jack from 1940-1964. The 62A, a successor to the Model of 1890 and Model 62, was introduced in 1940 and this one is a slick shell shucker. Looks and shoots like new - a real conversation starter. Production of this line ended in 1958 after more than 409,000 Model 60/60As.

9SzAfUj.jpg

Q3X6cxd.jpg

- Stuart

Stuart, they may make accurate guns today, but they can’t match the character of yesterday! The guns of yesterday are noticeably smoother in general than newer guns too.

Stuart, they may make accurate guns today, but they can’t match the character of yesterday! The guns of yesterday are noticeably smoother in general than newer guns too.

I agree, Jim. I appreciate the new guns that are getting more accurate (and easier to clean). But the hand-fitted, and now well worn 70+ year old guns are hard to beat for slickness. And they are light, a real benefit for those of us who are about their age.
- Stuart

Reactions: 315

9SzAfUj.jpg

Q3X6cxd.jpg

- Stuart
Beautiful! A well crafted piece of American history

Guns and knives... the old ones...well... what can I say? I put my Winchester 1930s model 69 out in the carport this morning loaded with subsonics, as I detect a small invasion of bunnies in the lettuce patch. I have to go out back in my underwear tomorrow morning at 0400 and fix things.

You gonna wear an overcoat over the underwear?

You remember what Groucho said, "I shot an elephant in my pajamas . . . what he was doing in my pajamas I'll never know!" :D

Reactions: 315
Stuart, I sense that you may have storage problems.

Getting close to it, but I do have "posting pic" problems. I try not to post the same gun several times, so I'm trying to change up from what I've posted previously. (And you got your comment in before I edited my post to add two pics, so I'm really slipping.) I'll do better now and then.
- Stuart

Back