Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Stuart, I had one of the early 10-22s. Aren't they nice? I do have a new one; the family member got off with the original.

Yes, they are. Light weight and straight forward. A great semi-auto .22. It's 40 years old and carries well (esp with the new Butler neoprene sling that I added today), shoots where I point, and stays clean. May or may not add a scope. I already have several .22 guns with scopes and a lighter carry is great.
- Stuart

The 10/22 Deluxe Walnut stocked models are very nice. I have one which I believe is one year older than yours which I bought while in college.
This is a 1952 vintage Marlin 336 and a Shapleigh hardware jack of which I have no idea of vintage. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that for me. I would imagine a very similar combination has been carried many days afield.

IMG_0421.jpg

My maternal grandfather gave me a Western Arms side-by-side in .410 bore when I was around 11 years old and it was my all around shotgun (I had a Springfield model 84C .22 rifle). When I was 15, my stepfather gave me his Browning "Sweet Sixteen" (Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium 1955). He had long before given up hunting for golf, all to my benefit. I carried this shotgun with me, in the trunk of my parents' cars or a friend's, almost all the time, except for dead summer months. The stock bears the scars. For doves, quail, and a few bunnies and ducks, that .16 was grim death. I used it in college, but it went silent during my law school years and for too long after. It woke up well after I moved to Virginia and met a few kindred folk. The GEC #48 Woodcock is a kind gift from my Tennessee brother, Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop .

xkmk6yE.jpg

Note the price marked on the box:

JWq28FD.jpg

- Stuart

My maternal grandfather gave me a Western Arms side-by-side in .410 bore when I was around 11 years old and it was my all around shotgun (I had a Springfield model 84C .22 rifle). When I was 15, my stepfather gave me his Browning "Sweet Sixteen" (Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium 1955). He had long before given up hunting for golf, all to my benefit. I carried this shotgun with me, in the trunk of my parents' cars or a friend's, almost all the time, except for dead summer months. The stock bears the scars. For doves, quail, and a few bunnies and ducks, that .16 was grim death. I used it in college, but it went silent during my law school years and for too long after. It woke up well after I moved to Virginia and met a few kindred folk. The GEC #48 Woodcock is a kind gift from my Tennessee brother, Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop .

xkmk6yE.jpg

Note the price marked on the box:

JWq28FD.jpg

- Stuart

A great post and story my friend! And, a beautiful old Browning. I’m sure it could tell some stories! Stay safe and well my brother! :) :thumbsup:

Gonna shoot some life into this thread.

Winchester Model 70 Varmiter with bull barrel in .243 Win. from 1961 (with 6 X 24/50 mm scope, it weighs the same as my F-150 SuperCrew, but it will stack up groundhogs in the same hole); Case 22087 premium jack in black Delrin (1965-1969); and a Buck model 119 in black phenolic resin (some time pre-1986).

o915v9c.jpg

ZXRbuRE.jpg

- Stuart

Love the pre-'64; did you acquire it back in the day or more recently? And of course who doesn't love the BUCK!

Thanks. I bought it about 15 years ago from a hunting buddy who was a deputy sheriff and had purchased some firearms from the widow of the Sheriff's office armorer. It is scary accurate. Whistle pigs at 300 yards = dust (I use shooting sticks now, I don't like wounding). It is not a preferred deer gun (need a 4-wheeler to get to the stand), so its utility to me is a bit limited, but I love it.
- Stuart

Gonna shoot some life into this thread.

Winchester Model 70 Varmiter with bull barrel in .243 Win. from 1961 (with 6 X 24/50 mm scope, it weighs the same as my F-150 SuperCrew, but it will stack up groundhogs in the same hole); Case 22087 premium jack in black Delrin (1965-1969); and a Buck model 119 in black phenolic resin (some time pre-1986).

o915v9c.jpg

ZXRbuRE.jpg

- Stuart

Stuart, I’ll take a blued gun with a wooden stock any day of the week over synthetic and stainless.

Stuart, I’ll take a blued gun with a wooden stock any day of the week over synthetic and stainless.

While the new synthetic-clad stainless guns of today are routinely accurate, light weight, and easier to maintain, there is more beauty and romance in your days afield with a 60 year old walnut and blued gun that you respect with fond memories. As you know, hunting is more than the shooting.
- Stuart

While the new synthetic-clad stainless guns of today are routinely accurate, light weight, and easier to maintain, there is more beauty and romance in your days afield with a 60 year old walnut and blued gun that you respect with fond memories. As you know, hunting is more than the shooting.
- Stuart

Touché

Back