Traditional mug shots

I met Bonington at the American Alpine Club in NY years ago after one of his expeditions. It was a nice evening.

I'm ashamed to say that the only time I've been in the UK was when I was in London in 2002 working with some good friends at Scotland Yard. (I had the pleasure of staying in Mayfair at the Grosvenor House. The gov't got that one right. LOL!) My wife would like me to remedy this (since she wasn't along) so you have a deal regardless of which side of the Atlantic we meet on. :thumbup:

Fantastic! :) I never met Joe Brown or Don Whillans, but having climbed a lot of their routes in the English Peak District you really had to marvel at how they did them in nails/plimsolls, hemp ropes, and probably with Don having had 5 pints for breakfast!

Climbers are different today, but they weren't so different in the 70's and 80's. A pal of mine once came across Pete Livesey relieving himself in the bushes. His climbing partner, Ron Fawcett, was just tackling some enormous 'roof', and Pete, who was supposed to be belaying him, had just untied from the rope. My friend was astonished. "Well, he never bloody falls off anyway", remarked Livesey!

We're going to have some good stories to swap. ;) (We'd better take this to email or PM. :cool:)

I would have gotten away with it if I hadn't gone back to get my magazine.

orig.jpg

Been up there myself. My sister and brother in law live in Troy / Keene. I used to love XC skiing right from their back door.

LOL, Me too. An old close friend's parents have a cabin in the Ausable Forks area also dated a woman from the area. Beautiful country and Whiteface was a great ski.

I remember Keene. Whew those folks drink quite a bit during the winter up there.;)

Gus, I think you're thinking of the "High Peaks" region of the Adirondacks...Keene Valley, NY area near St. Huberts (south of Lake Placid).
I used to backpack, hike, and XC ski there as well. The Ausable River runs through that area.

Mt. Monadnock, Keene/Troy area that I was referring to is in NH. Very similar terrain but a little less altitude and more rolling.

Answer to "P": yes that's my daughter who created the first LG4 in full color. That pic. is 3 years old. She is now 7.

Elliott ! that grinning hairy dude in vintage climbing clothes is you ? Who ever woulda guessed that in the 1970's you were "Mr. Natural".
Keep on Truckin' dude, i'm impressed !
I chickened out on posting overly incriminating pictures.
roland

Yep, Roland, that was the slightly shorter hair version of what I looked like for most of 1974. (I grew up in the city but I was out in the mountains climbing, fishing and backpacking from Alaska to CA to NH over the years.)

The gear was all old school...Woolrich shirt, army surplus wool pants, Trappeur mountaineering boots. Dachstein mitts. 11mm Goldline rope. I don't remember if we even had any Perlon / Kernmantle rope on that trip.

The bongs, chocks and pitons were all first rate though. Oh yeah, classic Stubai ice ax. :cool::thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks Elliott. I am being serious when i say i am impressed. That's a very cool picture of a happy fit young man.

And P., you noticed my Woolrich wool shirt, Pendleton wool pants and Johnson Woollen Mills wool vest ! I buy all my clothes on ebay often for as little as 5% of original price. I'm a sartorial knifer nut dad.

roland

Last edited:
Thanks Elliott. I am being serious when i say i am impressed. That's a very cool picture of a happy fit young man.
roland

Thank you, Roland. I was happy, and I was fit (except for a parasite that laid me up for a few days and a fall on the glacier on Lizard Head Peak that banged me up pretty good), but dropping from 162 to 137 pounds in five weeks was hard on the system. Took me most of a year to gain it back after that trip.

That waterfall looks vaguely familiar ~P, wouldn't happen to be in one of our beautiful Pennsylvania state parks would it? :)

Cheers,
Griff

That waterfall looks vaguely familiar ~P, wouldn't happen to be in one of our beautiful Pennsylvania state parks would it? :)

Cheers,
Griff

Ahem. That is the Gem Pool, on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail on Mt. Washington (NH).

(Not that PA doesn't have some nice hiking areas.)

6886971452_a265b487f9.jpg

Cairn-y on. :)

~ P.

Elliott,

Didn't I see you on an episode of Miami Vice?;)

Yup. He was the grumpy character in that one episode who was banished to a desk job for messing up when he made the coffee. :p

On another note, I've read Into Thin Air twice; I need to pick it up again, I think. I never had the motivation to climb or engage in other such pursuits (other than camping); after 3-1/2 years on an aircraft carrier, my adventure genes were yanked out, stomped flat, and thrown into a trunk in the attic and forgotten about.

I gotta dig up some of my old pics.

~Chris

Yup. He was the grumpy character in that one episode who was banished to a desk job for messing up when he made the coffee. :p

On another note, I've read Into Thin Air twice; I need to pick it up again, I think. I never had the motivation to climb or engage in other such pursuits (other than camping); after 3-1/2 years on an aircraft carrier, my adventure genes were yanked out, stomped flat, and thrown into a trunk in the attic and forgotten about.

I gotta dig up some of my old pics.

~Chris

Well, Chris, I guess I should thank you for at least not making me "Izzy" :p :

martin-ferrero.jpg

Yikes. :D

I remember him in, what, at least a dozen or more episodes? I can't believe I watched so many. I can't remember what I did this past Monday, but I remember him in Miami Vice almost thirty years ago, and how the main characters always made him squeak when they needed info - they'd just whisper "jail" and he'd pee his pants.* :D

Good times back then. I'll have to see if MV is on hulu.

~Chris

*ps - judging from the pics, I think your stories would probably be a little more interesting than anything with ol' Crockett & Tubbs.

Oh yeah, classic Stubai ice ax. :cool::thumbup:

I noticed the axe Elliott! I used to have one too, though it was given to me by an older climber. The ones I have now weigh nothing by comparison, but they don't see a lot of use unfortunately.

On another note, I've read Into Thin Air twice; I need to pick it up again

I think it's one of the few climbing books which, like Joe Simpson's Touching The Void, transcends the genre, and would be interesting even to those who have never climbed.

Well, Chris, I guess I should thank you for at least not making me "Izzy" :p :

martin-ferrero.jpg

I'm going to have a look through some old magazines to see if I can find a pic of me with a moustache (1981 to about '86)! :D

Sorry, double tap. My internet connection is hell this morning :(

Here's a pic with my 80's 'tache! :D

And a few others from my posing days! :D

Back