Traditional mug shots

At recent Louisville, KY knife show with my Buck 300 series display. Displays and your knife collection differ. You are making a presentation much like you see at a museum or nature center and it usually has a theme. Mine is Buck 300s 1966 to 1990. I am still missing two odd knives. You are also competing in judging of your knives and your display. Compared to some others mine is rough road VW, but I am the only 'displayer' of 300s so the judge is usually kinder than I expect......I am also the group step-child, as most of my Bucks were actually made by Camillus...

Anyone who thinks they might like to try knife show displaying can contact me for info.... 300Bucks

KYKnifeShowH.jpg

Last edited:
Since Elliot and Jack are posting their mountaineering pictures, here's as close as I'll ever get (although since I drove up there, it doesn't really count). It was taken at the top of Haleakalā on Maui. No one told me how cold and windy it was going to be.

Haleakala.jpg

me goofin off with the racks of 2 8pointers i shot on the same evening

knives006.jpg

Since Elliot and Jack are posting their mountaineering pictures, here's as close as I'll ever get (although since I drove up there, it doesn't really count). It was taken at the top of Haleakalā on Maui. No one told me how cold and windy it was going to be.

James, Tina and I went up there for the sunrise and bike ride down. It was colder than a witches...well...you know. But certainly spectacular. I went to Hawaii thinking I wouldn't really care for it but planned the trip for my wife. Little did I know I would fall in love with the four islands we visited...Oahu, the Big Island, Maui and Kauai. The diving and snorkeling were fantastic as well.

@ Jack Black Great images. It's fun seeing the change in clothing and gear over the years. My current ice axe (also a Stubai) is laminated fiberglass...much more like a helicopter blade than the classic old wooden ice axes back in the day. Doesn't see much, if any, use these days.

Last edited:
Really is nice to put a face to the names!

Some interesting vintage pictures!

In that vain, here I am , top left. Points go to the vintage snowmobile racing fan that can put a year and a few names to this picture:D
snowmobilerace.jpg

I like how you wear the same jimmy-jams throughout.

I think I could master the "stream crossing" pose, with a little practice.

(These are great to see-- thanks!)

~ P.

Yeah, Ron Hill Tracksters, very de rigeur with UK climbers at the time, and very addictive to wear! I wouldn't be caught dead in them now (nor would they fit)! :D

Magazine editors were desperate for cover shots in those days!:D It didn't take me long to work out the formula! ;)

@ Jack Black Great images. It's fun seeing the change in clothing and gear over the years. My current ice axe (also a Stubai) is laminated fiberglass...much more like a helicopter blade than the classic old wooden ice axes back in the day. Doesn't see much, if any, use these days.

Clothing has changed a lot hasn't it Elliott? :) Seems people get dressed up for the mountains now rather than just piling on their old duds! Breeches seem to have made a come-back of sorts though! :)

I cleared out my Leon Trotsky Room a few years back, it had about 20 ice-axes on the walls! Some great Stubai models, always a top quality manufacturer. I've still got more than I need to be honest. I have a couple of laminated fibreglass axes made by Camp, light as a feather, as are the matching aluminium crampons. On the rare occassions I use either these days, I tend to go just a wee bit heavier, with Charlet S12 or Camp Green Ice crampons and one of my Mountain Technology axes (for walking the Snowhopper is pretty light). I like a short axe and carry poles for soft snow, something that seems more and more accepted from the days when, particularly on big mountains, climbers carried axes almost as big as themselves! My old Stubai had been re-shafted with a shaft made from a pick-axe handle! :D There've certainly been a lot of changes.

Ah, cool. :)

I was thinking it might be around here:

rickettsglen.jpg

That's my wife and sons with me when we hiked the Ricketts Glen waterfall trail last year. The rest of the Troop were too impatient to pose for a pic :p

Humppa in traditional bavarian clothing - I´m sure I must have shown this here somewhere... Ok, ok I had already some beer on the day that pic was taken :p :D

IMG_1734.jpg

Andi, I wanna see you in that outfit, doing a dance and quaffing a large stein of beer! :p

Ah, cool. :)

I was thinking it might be around here:

rickettsglen.jpg

That's my wife and sons with me when we hiked the Ricketts Glen waterfall trail last year. The rest of the Troop were too impatient to pose for a pic :p

:thumbup:

I thought that might be what you were thinking of! I have hiked that trail, but years (and years) ago, and I don't have pictures.

Andi, I don't tire of seeing that picture!

th_laugh.gif

~ P.

I too enjoy the mountaineering pics...Ive only had one go at it in the Southern Alps,chasing THAR..I couldnt tell you how high we got?..but my friend (guide) wouldnt take us any higher due to the ice and razorback ridge..We only had to climb another 1000 feet to get a shot at a bull,but he refused to risk it...Some colourful language was heard that morning!!..In hindsight he was correct..I have great respect for ICEMEN.......... FES

tahrhunt029.jpg

tahrhunt033.jpg

tahrhunt047.jpg

Andi, I wanna see you in that outfit, doing a dance and quaffing a large stein of beer! :p

Elliott - I know what you mean... we don´t dance each evening, thoug we could (some might do, propably). If you mean that dance go to yout*be and search for "Schuhplattler". That´s the traditional dance in Bavaria. Very impressive with all the nice girls and guys around :)

Jack, it´s almost bavarian evening and I haven´t been dancing so far ... maybe later and a couple of beer more inside the skull :D

FES: The alps in general are one of the most impressive I´ve ever seen. I live just 60 kilometres (roundabout 50 miles) from them and I can see them clearly when weather is fine. When traveling through them - increbible! So I know what you mean, though I live directly in front of them... The language is colorful here, there you´re competelly right.

Nice to see all the faces to go with the names :)

M2010Ebbtide.jpg

M2010Fish1.jpg

Elliot, you'd be surprised how much you can get back from those old prints when you scan them.
A little photoshop magic can do wonders.
Also, you can have the negatives scanned as well, with even better results.

Great pics Fes :thumbup:

Very sadly for me I lost all my old mountaineering climbing photographs (mainly slides) many years ago - well they were stolen :( All I have now are the poor reproductions in the few magazines I have copies of, and one or two advertizing catologues :(

Enjoy the beer and the dancing Andi :)

Me (in the middle) in Marching Band this year (poor picture quality, I know). I think Vanguard41xx (my Dad) already posted the picture of us at GEC.
KSCN0001.jpg

49623A76-7ED0-47DC-A8A7-6417E7199F13-127-000000353F4FD7C3.jpg

Back