Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

After church I fixed a venison soup in the crockpot for tonight’s dinner (going fishing for a few hours, it’ll be ready when we get home). Cut up onions (and celery) with an Old Hickory kitchen knife we’ve had since we got married (1977) and browned the venison burger in my 12” Lodge pan. If I don’t fix bacon first I always throw in a dab of Crisco - that’s what I season my cast iron cookware with so it seems to work fine for me (easy cleanup with a damp cloth). The only antique cast iron I have is a 10” Sun skillet from South Korea (another wedding gift from 1977) - don’t use it much anymore because I prefer the roomier interior of the Lodge 12” skillet. OH
Boker-280-w-venison.jpg

Old-Hickory-ca-1977.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is relevant to me. My cast iron collection is larger than my traditional knife collection, though I was much less critical of some of my early cast iron purchases compared to knives. Been buying cast iron for a couple years, and like using it. All my current cast iron cooking pics don't have knives in them :(, so I grabbed some knives and threw them in the cast iron cabinet. All the iron in the pic is 70's or older vintage.

3IztyyN.jpg

I would say that you really like cast iron.... I've seen fewer cast iron pans that this in retail outlets....:D
Nice collection...

Yes, it is a hobby all to itself. I've slowed down significantly due to storage limitations and from having most of the pieces I need for regular use. Unfortunately cast iron is less practical to have pieces "just because" due to size and weight. Don't need an entire cabinet to store a few extra knife purchases :). Although some likely need one for their whole collection.

CelloDan CelloDan Dan, you are going to love that deep cast Lodge. I bought one from a hardware store five or six years ago and find it incredibly useful. Wild quail in rice and mushroom gravy is one recipe I make right in the pan. Browning venison burger with the deep sides is also nice - no grease spatters all over the stove. OH

Buck-321-Bird-Knife-on-2-4-20.jpg
Quail-rice-and-mushroom-gravy.jpg

IMG-2043.jpg

CelloDan CelloDan Dan, you are going to love that deep cast Lodge. I bought one from a hardware store five or six years ago and find it incredibly useful. Wild quail in rice and mushroom gravy is one recipe I make right in the pan. Browning venison burger with the deep sides is also nice - no grease spatters all over the stove. OH

Buck-321-Bird-Knife-on-2-4-20.jpg
Quail-rice-and-mushroom-gravy.jpg

IMG-2043.jpg

Very fine cooking there Bruce :thumbsup: and even more satisfying because it's from your harvest.

You mentioned venison.
I work in community health and one time a patient of mine gave me a bag full of smoked venison pepperettes that he had made from his son's harvest. They were soo delicious :thumbsup: , the bag only lasted me a couple days :) Yum :thumbsup:

Back