Tuareg Dagger

This project has consumed most of my fall.

About 10 months ago I was asked if I could make a Tuareg style dagger. I went to google to find out about them, a people from Saharan North Africa who are known for, among other things, their metalwork in jewelery and knives and swords.

Admittedly it is an aesthetic that was new to me and we exchanged many emails at the beginning to discuss ideas. Then they sat, stewing in my imagination until about September when I began the sketching. Once the blade style was sorted and the suguha hamon (couldn't resist a little Japanese influence... and I'm pleased it came out so centered) it was onto the handle.
I must have drawn 10 versions of this, and then went and sketched some of the jewelry shapes to get a sense of things...

So, once we had a blade and a design:
TuaregDagger_16_zpsb20f9fd5.jpg

(a work in progress shot but the design on the right was what we ended on)
TuaregDagger_17_zps60665531.jpg

I got to creating the jigsaw puzzle. There were many firsts and many experiments on this one. The fuchi like collar piece, the fitting of the domed copper piece, the inlaid handle and the whole butt assembly, the control of the hamon (much more scary than doing a random wild one), the three piece pin, not to mention the sheet copper work...

Here's the fit of the domed collar to the blade. I was proud of this so here's a pic. It was, again, more challenging than I thought it would be...

TuaregDagger_18_zps66562d86.jpg

Here's the preassembly layout. 14 pieces, (16 if you could the two little alignment pins). As I said to the client.. Making these took a long time but it took longer to think of them :p :

TuaregDagger_10_zpsc71ce279.jpg

Then came the sheath. I struggled trying to figure out this one. I went with a mix of traditional styling (if you google Tuareg dagger you'll see the influences) but with a leather base and blackwood and copper accents.
Once the idea of the blackwood slats bound with copper came to me, the rest of the design was clear.

BUT... forming copper sheet is much more challenging than I would have thought. That chape is the 4th try. The problem with sheet is how quickly it work hardens when you bend it so once it's in place and you try to remove it, it wants to bend in an annealed area, completely f*%#ing things up... Man...

So here is what I came up with.
(please note that the copper on the sheath was done today so it will come to match the colours on the handle soon)

The blade is W2 at about 9 1/8" with and OAL of 14 7/8". Blackwood, lots of copper, and leather and deerskin lined sheath. The pin and handle inlays are stainless. Maybe next one will be in silver but I wasn't prepared to risk silver on my first go.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

TuaregDagger_9_zps5f042281.jpg

TuaregDagger_8_zps5774f45b.jpg

TuaregDagger_7_zpsc7fbd539.jpg

That butt pin is filed to a diamond shape to match the collar...
TuaregDagger_6_zps08ac6711.jpg

It's hard to see but the edge of the cone is coined as well
TuaregDagger_5_zps419692fb.jpg

TuaregDagger_4_zps6e1599f0.jpg

TuaregDagger_3_zps55674423.jpg

TuaregDagger_2_zps18fd4c5a.jpg

TuaregDagger_1_zps2690b847.jpg

Last edited:
.. About 10 months ago I was asked if I could make a Tuareg style dagger ..
It's so nice Stuart :thumbup:
Just love the precision of the detail parts :thumbup:
If only I were the one who asked you to build it .. oh .. wow :eek:
Congrats to you and the new custodian :thumbup:
And thanks for sharing the shots of the beauty :)

mohd

Absolutely beautiful!

Wonder how it will look over time... no doubt the copper will change color?

Very nice & interesting piece.

Kind regards,

Jos

Man, what a piece of work. You did an incredible job.

Great job Stuart,

I don't think I've ever seen one of those before, but I think you definately hit the nail on the head!

-Adam

Very cool. Always get excited to see what you've come up with when I see your threads.

Stuart,

To have so successively adapted this traditional design, and then produced such a complex, beautiful example shows someone working at the top range of our craft.

I'm truly in awe, and absolutely love this object, in whole and in detail.

John

This deserves about five paragraphs of superlative on every aspect. I won't bore you.

Incredible. Your stature as a maker of renown keeps growing and growing. :thumbup:

Coop

Fantastic piece. I've said it before, I love your willingness to explore different types of blades from around the world.

Wow... What a nice thread to wake up to..

Thanks VERY much for the comments. I really appreciate them!

Wow, I don't even care for daggers and I think I'm in love.That is absolutely beautiful.

Stuart, that is truly a magnificent piece!
Next step, gold and rubies!

Back