Tuna Valley Photography

Rookie82, your collection and your photography just blow me away!

Thanks. The collection started after I got an original 1906 Tuna Valley from my grandfather, and it kind of expanded after that. The photography is always a work in progress for me. I'm always finding other's photos that I like and using that to influence how I try to make mine look. I am by no means an expert, but I like to think I'm not a beginner either. :)

My camera actually died about a month ago, and I haven't had a chance to get a newer nicer one yet. I borrowed my mom's camera for a few weekends and that is what the latest few posts were from. I'm thinking of holding off until Black Friday to get a new camera.

Here are some shots of the burnt stag sweybelly. I kind of like the shot with the knife in the basket of eggs gathered from our hens. After seeing this, now I want an omelet with mushrooms.
full

full

full

Last edited:
I haven't posted any new photos in a while. It's hard to go out and take photos when everything is covered under inches of feet of snow for month after month. We got a brief thaw in the beginning of March where I got a few new photos, but then we got a few more snowstorms come through again. Enjoy the pictures.
2012 Sunfish Whittler, burnt stag, engraved bolsters, Queen made, 1 of 7
2012 released (but 2010 made) Cigar Congress, burnt stag, engraved bolsters, GEC made, 1 of 15
full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Love the engraved bolsters on that Sunfish. And those blades almost look like they have an orange peel shimmer, but could just be the photo / reflection.

Yes, they feel as smooth as a mirror, however they give off that orange-peel reflection. I'm not sure if it is due to the steel type, or the blade finish, or heat treat, etc. But the other sunfish I have does the same thing.

Here are some new photos. The first are the 2012 lockback with clip blade and amber stag, made by GEC. The 2nd knife is the newly released 2018 humpback whittler with mammoth ivory. This run was some of the last knives to come out of the Queen factory before it closed.
full

full

full

full

Last edited:
You always have such great pics.
Thanks Tim, I appreciate it. I was out yesterday evening and took some more shots. These are just additional images of knives that have already been shown earlier in the thread.

2012 lockback, burnt stag, spear point, engraved bolster
2012 cotton king, ebony wood
2014 gunstock, burnt stag
full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Here are a few new images of some recent Tuna Valley knives I've purchased. The burl wood whittlers are the very last of the Tuna knives to be produced in the Queen factory. The future is uncertain for this brand now ... :(

2013 tadpole, amber stag
2018 carpenter whittler, Buckeye burl wood with copper bolsters
2018 carpenter whittler, Buckeye burl wood with nickel bolsters

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Here are a few new images of some recent Tuna Valley knives I've purchased. The burl wood whittlers are the very last of the Tuna knives to be produced in the Queen factory. The future is uncertain for this brand now ... :(

2013 tadpole, amber stag
2018 carpenter whittler, Buckeye burl wood with copper bolsters
2018 carpenter whittler, Buckeye burl wood with nickel bolsters

2013-tuna-tadpole-amber-stag01-web.jpg
2013-tuna-tadpole-amber-stag02-web.jpg
2018-tuna-carpenter-burl-copper-01-web.jpg
2018-tuna-carpenter-burl-copper-02-web.jpg
2018-tuna-carpenter-burl-nickel-01-web.jpg
2018-tuna-carpenter-burl-nickel-02-web.jpg
This thread has been a new one for me to review Sir . You have quite a few very nice looking knives . It was a pleasure seeing your postings . I hope to see you in Titusville in August while we are there .

Harry

This thread has been a new one for me to review Sir . You have quite a few very nice looking knives . It was a pleasure seeing your postings . I hope to see you in Titusville in August while we are there .

Harry

Thanks Harry. I only live 20 miles from Titusville, so I will be there :)

Rookie82 Rookie82 I have really enjoyed seeing all of the Tuna Valley knives in this thread. Your knives and your photography are exceptional. As a matter of fact I created a Tuna Valley album because of this thread. Thank you for your efforts.

Rookie82 Rookie82 I have really enjoyed seeing all of the Tuna Valley knives in this thread. Your knives and your photography are exceptional. As a matter of fact I created a Tuna Valley album because of this thread. Thank you for your efforts.

Happy you liked them Dwight, thank you. Tuna's don't get as much love as they deserve in my opinion, so I'm happy to show them off for people to see.

Here are some new photos. The first are the 2012 lockback with clip blade and amber stag, made by GEC. The 2nd knife is the newly released 2018 humpback whittler with mammoth ivory. This run was some of the last knives to come out of the Queen factory before it closed.
2012-tuna-valley-lockback-clip-amber-02-lo.jpg
2012-tuna-valley-lockback-clip-amber-01-lo.jpg
2018-tuna-valley-humpback-mammoth-01-lo.jpg

Absolutely stunning knives and pics, Rookie82 (rookie? I dont think so)

The color and texture on the mammoth is outstanding. The polish on the lock back stellar. Is that D2? Are most of the Tuna Valleys 1095?

Absolutely stunning knives and pics, Rookie82 (rookie? I dont think so)

The color and texture on the mammoth is outstanding. The polish on the lock back stellar. Is that D2? Are most of the Tuna Valleys 1095?

Thanks Icky. The 2012 lockbacks were all GEC made, in 6 different varieties. 3 of them use 1095, the other 3 use ATS-34. The GEC made Tuna's from 2009-2010 all use 440c stainless. From 2013 and after, all Queen made Tuna's use 154CM (with a few knives made with Damascus).

Back