TV show Alone situation

Which knife?

• Field Knife

• Heavy Duty Field Knife aka NASK

• Light Chopper

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hate to interrupt your reply to a thread not used for 3 mo - but in "real" life, if you've got to jump and no time to "pick out your "favorite forest utensils", you make the best of what you have and what you find, once you hit the ground and pull out. A ferrorod, my god. Why not just take a supply of butane lighters? I don't think so. It's kinda like the difference between paintball and being thrown into a life and death situation. Good survival skills and a mind that can see "what needs to be" are the necessities. I can't believe that survival programs even allow the use of knives.

But what do I know? Sorry I interrupted your thread reply, but IMHO too many survival programs don't get real enough. I mean, I haven't seen one person die yet.

Alone aint real life, bro. In real life, I'd never let myself be anywhere without the right gear. There's a clear 1/4 million riding on this and you can't win if you dont play by the rules. If you get on the show, you've got a 1 in 10 chance of winning that (and as much more in endorsements, etc, over the next 2-3 years). So you take the right tools for the job, and just a belt knife aint gonna hack it, pardon the pun.

I would not even consider being more than crawling distance from a vehicle (properly equipped) or housing (same thing) in the mountains without at least 20 lbs of far better gear than is permitted on this show. Either that, or at the least, my EDC pistol and a rental satellite phone. This isn't the 1800's anymore, guys.

Hate to interrupt your reply to a thread not used for 3 mo - but in "real" life, if you've got to jump and no time to "pick out your "favorite forest utensils", you make the best of what you have and what you find, once you hit the ground and pull out. A ferrorod, my god. Why not just take a supply of butane lighters? I don't think so. It's kinda like the difference between paintball and being thrown into a life and death situation. Good survival skills and a mind that can see "what needs to be" are the necessities. I can't believe that survival programs even allow the use of knives.

But what do I know? Sorry I interrupted your thread reply, but IMHO too many survival programs don't get real enough. I mean, I haven't seen one person die yet.

Bob, if it’s called Survivor, it’s obviously life and death. How else could they use the name? On the show they get voted off the Island to keep it PG-13, but after the cameras go off they kill em’ off.

I mean naked and afraid, who wouldn’t be afraid of being naked with all those bugs around? Wouldn’t do it for a million bucks.

Yeah, I know it's about a contest, nothing to do with real life. But for me survival was always an immediate onset without the luxury of planning. That was my point.

The best survival knife is the one you have on you when the shit hits the fan. We all like to think that we are sufficiently prepared for certain scenarios, but emergencies and disasters come in all forms, that we don't get to pick. I've always been of the "fortune favors the prepared mind" mentality. As for TV show, that's exactly what it is, a TV show. The television doesn't have the nickname of "idiot box" for nothing...:D

As for the OP, I picked the HDFK. I feel very confident walking into the woods with a folding saw and a large knife!

The HDFK really surged ahead of the rest as the clear victor for the purposes of this poll.

V2.0 will need to include the BC, DEK, EDC (maybe 2.0 by then), and FK (maybe 2.0 by then). Who knows, maybe the folder will be in the poll by then as well.

Should also try to include multiple knife scenarios.

As far as that last Alone series, I wonder if the crew anticipated so many contestants dropping out before finding their partner. I don’t recall the numbers off hand, but it seemed most contestants didn’t make it past a few weeks. Crazy!

I'm active so I always have my backpack with me... Knives, first aid, snacks, flashlights, etc. Snacks and flashlights get used the most since meeting an adventurous Lil lady not afraid to go explore the woods and other places at night (I've been blessed)... I don't see why it's so hard to be prepared?? Although in a SHTF scenario I'm completely screwed because of where I live (northern NJ for now) ... It would be an all our warzone and CCW is out of the question in my state. One day I'll have my VP9 on me at all times.

My pack has my CPK EDC in either 3V or 4V, multitool, Pacific salt. I usually have a Spyderco folder in my pocket. Hey I like knives esp Spydercos and CPK!

I'm active so I always have my backpack with me... Knives, first aid, snacks, flashlights, etc. Snacks and flashlights get used the most since meeting an adventurous Lil lady not afraid to go explore the woods and other places at night (I've been blessed)... I don't see why it's so hard to be prepared?? Although in a SHTF scenario I'm completely screwed because of where I live (northern NJ for now) ... It would be an all our warzone and CCW is out of the question in my state. One day I'll have my VP9 on me at all times.

My pack has my CPK EDC in either 3V or 4V, multitool, Pacific salt. I usually have a Spyderco folder in my pocket. Hey I like knives esp Spydercos and CPK!

I’m in NJ and don’t tbinking CCW is out of the question :eek:

i wouldn't, cause one is not enough for everything you have to do on that show.. I'd take my modified E tool (with a real saw edge) and a modified multi-tool. I'm not going to risk my one and only cutting tool by batoning it. nothing that's good for digging and chopping is also worth a hoot for filleting fish and fine carving of notches, etc. The "third hand" visegrip of the Crunch multitool is often a great blessing in the woods.

Back