Ugliest Traditionals

A toothpick blade is not small if you count length. The standard toothpick is a 3 1/2 - 4" blade. Great fishing knives, that's why they team it up with a scaler/hook remover and a hook sharpener.

Texas toothpicks have never clicked with me
I'm with ya...blade is so small and thin I'd be afraid to use it for anything
Same with the handle. And that long bolster on the butt really just erks me. Aside from that, from what i've seen people who like that pattern have massive amounts of them.

A toothpick blade is not small if you count length. The standard toothpick is a 3 1/2 - 4" blade. Great fishing knives, that's why they team it up with a scaler/hook remover and a hook sharpener.
I wonder if everyone's talking about the same type of knife. irona & JD Bear seem to be referring to "tiny toothpicks", while brownshoe points out that there are many toothpicks that are considerably longer than the average pocket knife.
kdX1soo.jpg

- GT

The "traditional" knife is collected for a variety of reasons. I'm sure many of us have a whittler and have never done any whittling. The Lady Leg knife harkens back to a day when they were a very risque item to show around....much like the old cowboys that wore the gal leg spurs. A lot of the knife patterns that we collect are because of the times they remind us of. When I was 8 or 9 my friend's older brother came home on leave, evidently after a stop in Mexico. He had several swing guards and some fishtails that he had picked up. Looking back, they were cheap knives but to an 8 or 9 year old, they were just about the coolest thing we had ever seen. Those memories of a much more innocent time bring a smile to my face as do the swing guards and fishtails I've collected.

...I'm sure many of us have a whittler and have never done any whittling...

"Whittler" is a modern term. What we call "whittlers" were originally called by many other names and intended from everything from a manicure to work on a farm.

Maybe a "cattle knife" would have been a better choice. It's a term of art, not a modern collector term. Some folks may enjoy the nostalgia. ...even back 100 years, there were probably folks buying cattle knives without ever having tended cattle. It is/was a useful pattern and well marketed.

I wonder if everyone's talking about the same type of knife. irona & JD Bear seem to be referring to "tiny toothpicks", while brownshoe points out that there are many toothpicks that are considerably longer than the average pocket knife.
kdX1soo.jpg

- GT

I'm talking about all of them. I prefer a knife to fill my hand, which is why I also tend to shy away from a lot of case knives which, besides being in my opinion overly polished (so that the grind lines round over) and not crisp looking, also tend to have skinnier handles that I have to pinch between my thumb and forefinger to get a good grip on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread looks a lot like the (insert cheap knife company here) catalog I got in the mail today :).

edit (removed company name)

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that the case shark family lockbacks are ugly ? I'm talking about the mako...ect

Just saw this BladeHQ exclusive. Just seems wrong to me....

Definitely wrong. I don't mind the copper bolsters, but the drop point blade should warrant a new model number and the carbon fiber and blade coating are just wrong.

Just saw this BladeHQ exclusive. Just seems wrong to me....

Would it be wrong to admit that I really like that? [emoji16][emoji56]

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

There's a big difference between "ugliest" and "don't like".

I saw this one on an auction site. Was really tempted to place a bid [emoji6] [emoji12]

526e08adca27b88d9417826edda46d85.jpg
dca2d60a7907841743d6a80cdd59b4f1.jpg

Now... this guy really put forth an effort and found a real contender for the crown. :D ;) :p

•••••••••••••••

LOL! I just saw the same ad and was thinking the same thing... :distracted:

•••••••••••••••

I don't mean any offense. Trust me, I'm a confirmed lady leg pattern lover! For me, the 110 is a classic that just doesn't look right to me in black blade and carbon fiber. Now, on a zero tolerance, that's a different story.

I saw this one on an auction site. Was really tempted to place a bid [emoji6] [emoji12]

526e08adca27b88d9417826edda46d85.jpg
dca2d60a7907841743d6a80cdd59b4f1.jpg

:eek::barf::barf::D

Might do as a fishing lure, mind. ;):D

And folks, we have a winner.
That has to be the worst thing I've ever seen.

Now... this guy really put forth an effort and found a real contender for the crown. :D ;) :p

Sure, it may be "ugly," but you have to admit, that handle actually looks like it would be quite ergonomic and comfortable... :D

Back