Unexpectedly good budget blades?

Buck 110 LT. ~$25. More knife for the money than I thought possible. Beats my old CS Voyager from 1997 (which is long gone, anyway).

3oLUS2h.jpg

Zieg
where did you find one with a red handle?

Can't beat em at the price. I buy them all the time and have around 10 laying around my house. Do you prefer the stainless or carbon steel versions?

Has anyone ever tried a Hultafors? How do they compare to a Mora?
I've used a Hultafors in the past and it was sharper than its Mora counterpart. It was very robust. This was in the 90s.

Zieg

Kizer/DDR Gunhammer

I've used a Hultafors in the past and it was sharper than its Mora counterpart. It was very robust. This was in the 90s.

Zieg

Awesome. I have always seen people using Hultafors knives, but always but a Mora. I may need to try one.

Can't beat em at the price. I buy them all the time and have around 10 laying around my house. Do you prefer the stainless or carbon steel versions?

Has anyone ever tried a Hultafors? How do they compare to a Mora?

I have about a dozen Moras and one Hultafors. It has a thicker blade than a Companion, more like the heavy-duty version, with a faux-Scandi grind. The handle is a hideous Rustoleum green hard plastic, quite fat. Not as refined as a Mora, a little easier to think of as a beater knife. It would seem perfect to keep in my truck, except it is so well-suited to popping open frozen car doors that glove-box carry would defeat the purpose.

The Finlanders up here in Minnesota and the UP tend to sniff at Moras in favor of Marttiinis. If you like Moras, you might want to try a couple for the contrast. They have some rubber-handled models in carbon and stainless priced about like the Moras.

On the whole, I prefer the carbon blades for esthetic reasons, but I really have nothing against the stainless. Both take a great edge.

Although I have more knives ranging up to $300, the three "value" knives which take up more time in my pocket than most of them are (in order of price) 1. Opinel #8 (modified handle), 2. Buck 110 LT (a little slop in lockup though), and 3. Buck 112 with finger grooves (most expensive of the three but carried more often than the other two).

Although I have more knives ranging up to $300, the three "value" knives which take up more time in my pocket than most of them are (in order of price) 1. Opinel #8 (modified handle), 2. Buck 110 LT (a little slop in lockup though), and 3. Buck 112 with finger grooves (most expensive of the three but carried more often than the other two).

I don't know what it is but I also carry may cheaper knives more. I always have my Mora Companion with me.

Back