Attention UPDATED EXCHANGE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is only for posting the rules to comply not to discuss.
This thread was started to give notice of an update to the Exchange rules.

As I said, if you want to continue the discussion start a thread in GBU, I’m sure you’ll have many participants.

Are you allowed to list price plus shipping? Aka, shipping cost determined after you know where buyer is and what service they prefer? Shipping to CA is cheaper for me than shipping to FL.

Last edited:
Paid for gold membership so I can post in knife for sale area. Still says I dont have permission to post. How long does it usually take to become active? Thanks

I have a photo dot next to my avatar and a message that I had posted five times, sorry, I did not know or read that there was a limit, I was just answering questions and trying to post multiple photos which the system said were too large to add to my edited initial post. Am I frozen or suspended or something?

Cray, a few years back when I sold on the bay, “I would State” , International shipping to be by USPS only. the buyer could go on the USPS website and get a cost before buying/bidding. Then I would say, No Sales to Russia etc where I had problems in the past. I still won’t ship to Russia unless I have a track record with that individual ...
Back around '06...(?) I sold a $$$ OTF MT to a guy on the forums. Turned out after the sale, he was in Russia.
I filled out the papers as well as I could, having never shipped internationally before.
I agreed to "camp tool" for the paperwork, but when I got home and emailed him the shipping receipt pic, he freaked out. Re: the way I had shipped it guaranteed it would be stolen before he ever saw it.
I was already taking a decent hit on shipping internationally, but he'd expected me to pay around $100 MORE for a different service.
It was already out of my hands, and I was 99% sure, 1 hour after shipping, and after paying $60-ish more than I'd expected (for a sale in the U.S.) out of pocket on my end, and I was sure my funds would be taken or frozen at anytime. He was worked up from the minute he got the pic of the shipping form.

5 days in, I got an email from him with all caps in the subject line. Without looking I just assumed he was ready to file a claim with PayPal.
In fact, he was calling me a "shipping wizard", as he received his package, still fully bombproofed, and in under 1/2 the time expected.
He was super happy, & I was just glad I didn't have to give him a refund.

I learned a valuable lesson on that sale.
I've lost a couple of sales/trades over time now, after deciding to agree to ONLY ship to the lower 48.
I had to pay for shipping to Alaska once, stupidly assuming a $5 flat rate box was all I'd need. (They were cheaper days) but $5 didn't get it to get to Alaska even then..
Too much headache! Even tho it worked out, it was 5 days of headaches for me. Just not worth it to me, personally.

My crazy Russian shipping story!!

Last edited:
I don’t understand why folks only ship to the lower 48. There are 50 states in the USA and it costs the same to ship to AK and HI as well.
I think some people think it has to get on a boat to go to those places. But Guam and Puerto Rico are US territories as well, and USPS ships.

I don’t understand why folks only ship to the lower 48. There are 50 states in the USA and it costs the same to ship to AK and HI as well.
In my experience it cost more to get it to Alaska, but again, that was over 13+ years ago.
Without researching the current USPS rates, I'll take your word that costs are the same to AK & HI these days.
But I see enough other "lower 48 states only" listings, I'd assumed others still found shipping out of the contiguous states to be more costly as well.
Maybe there are other reasons I'm not aware of though.
I also haven't sold anything in a while. I'm not up to date on shipping anything other than a letter these days! Lol

Edit: in retrospect, I'm thinking the buyer wanted expedited shipping, to some degree faster than the standard 3 day priority box which wasn't guaranteed for AK (at the time at least) from the southeast US, which I recall costing more than the same service offered in the lower 48.
That could explain my memory of Alaska being more expensive. I believe I checked the cost of the requested service, not taking into account it was going to Alaska, and after payment was received and I went to ship it, I had to pay some extra I wasn't expecting when I got to the P.O.

But I'm old. Sometimes precise details slip my mind. But after covering the extra costs incurred without asking for more than the agreed price, Russia, then AK both costing more than I expected, it just made sense, for my personal shipping comfort, to limit my listings to the lower 48.
But, that's just me.

Last edited:
I've shipped stuff to HI multiple times before and it was the same rate as it was to any other state in the country. I assume that AK is the same.

FYI ~ CURRENTLY

USPS Flat Rate boxes and envelopes

Both versions of Priority Mail offer the following great features:
  • Two to three-day delivery
  • Delivery to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands at domestic prices
  • Free Package Pickup service (USPS saves you a trip to the post office by collecting your package(s) straight from your home or your office)
  • Includes USPS Tracking® when you ship online and at retail
  • Packages insured for up to $50 (more insurance is available for a fee)
  • No surcharges for fuel or residential, rural, and Saturday delivery

I used to be guilty of this, CONUS only… just my personal preference. Now I do US Sales only.
They must have thought there was a north pole [sic] tax for shipments to AK.

(Thank you, I'll be here all week.)
Didn’t want the package getting lost in the tundra ;)

As far as Hawaii, you never saw Castaway, all those FedEx packages floating 🤣

I used to be guilty of this, CONUS only… just my personal preference. Now I do US Sales only.

Didn’t want the package getting lost in the tundra ;)

As far as Hawaii, you never saw Castaway, all those FedEx packages floating 🤣

That's why a Tacoma would be the better option for deliveries.

That's why a Tacoma would be the better option for deliveries.

Gets me everywhere I want to go.
RgoFMbM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back