Photos [Updated with BR’s response] Problems with Brand New Bark River Gunny CPM-3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone here has claimed that they put BRK over HDFK.

I chose Bark River because they have a ton of choices in terms of blade shapes, grinds, steels, handles, dimensions, etc. I also liked their classic, simple look and lifetime warranty. However, after this experience, I don’t think I will ever buy another Bark River.

The Carouthers Field Knife in 3V looks great, but I really want a convex grind as a bushcrafter and I don’t trust myself to manually grind out a convex shape evenly without affecting the integrity of the blade.

Supposedly, Fallkniven is coming out with new models with laminated CoS steel so I may resort to that, but at the same time, I’d really like a true 3V bushcrafter. I’ve received good recommendations and am looking into all of them.
Luke said he put it over the HDFK

In my experience 3V tends to react fairly readily on a fresh surface after which it forms a rust resistant oxide layer.

Using sandpaper to create a fresh surface, vinegar can be applied and it will react readily. If you clean it up with soapy water and a soft bristle brush and reapply the vinegar it will barely if at all react, even if you let it sit for an hour. Keep in mind this was done at room temperature and this is an informal test.

I am not surprised by rust on 3V, however if it happens and it still rusts as readily the second time with the oxide layer intact then it is a problem.

Simple test
1 Sandpaper
2 Vinegar
3 Soapy water
4 Vinegar (again)

The first application of vinegar will readily rust.
The second application will have minimal corrosion.

Luke said he put it over the HDFK

I don't think you're quoting me correctly or fairly.

The OP is talking about a knife for bushcraft. When using s knife for bushcraft tasks, I will reach for both my BRK bravo 1 LT in cruwear and my aurora LT in whatever steel it is. It's supposed to be 3v. I think I'll do that water test on it.

For fire prep, notches, feathersticks, and General bushcrafting tasks, I think those two knives perform better, for me. CPK has stated several times the fk and the HDFK aren't bushcraft knives. Don't get me wrong, all my CPK knives are A+ tools.

Many in the knife community like the flat or hig saber convex grind over a V edge. I've found myself liking the convex better as well when we're talking about working wood and other woodsy stuff.

Like I said CPK is in a class of its own for a great general purpose tool. One might consider thou, the hype is leveling off a little.mmthe evidence is there are tons of cpk knives on the secondary market at the moment and they're no longer commanding the big mark ups. There is no question the knives are great but so is the drive of the hunt to acquire one.

When I'm in the woods, there aren't any forums, glamour shots, Instagram or "likes". Ther aren't threads about mike Stewart being bad. There is only chores to make fire or whatever. Obviously the CPK knives are capable of all those chores, but when I bring a fk and an aurora, I use my aurora. It's long, pointy and bites into wood. It also comes with my personal favorite blue denim micarta (I know that doesn't matter).

At this point I'm rambling on but I'll conclude with this: I'm not putting a knife over another. Im just saying for what the op was looking, there may be better options. For a one tool option for everything and a lifetime knife that won't ever fail you and you can take pics of to get likes and brag to your friends, get the HDFK. I have two and they are awesome.

Obviously the CPK knives are capable of all those chores, but when I bring a fk and an aurora, I use my aurora. It's long, pointy and bites into wood. It also comes with my personal favorite blue denim micarta (I know that doesn't matter).

But what if the Field Knife can be had in blue denim?!! ;)

QVXY9us.jpg

Since I, myself, am always skeptical, I will do a little water test on a BRk. I wiped it down and put a couple of big drop of tap water on it. I'll check it in two hours. Or should I wait longer?

3cGf2Rl.jpg

Since I, myself, am always skeptical, I will do a little water test on a BRk. I wiped it down and put a couple of big drop of tap water on it. I'll check it in two hours. Or should I wait longer?

View attachment 910340
That is a gorgeous Aurora. Two hours should be more than enough time for the droplets to dry and show oxidation if it were mislabeled. Looking forward to your results.

I don't think you're quoting me correctly or fairly.

The OP is talking about a knife for bushcraft. When using s knife for bushcraft tasks, I will reach for both my BRK bravo 1 LT in cruwear and my aurora LT in whatever steel it is. It's supposed to be 3v. I think I'll do that water test on it.

For fire prep, notches, feathersticks, and General bushcrafting tasks, I think those two knives perform better, for me. CPK has stated several times the fk and the HDFK aren't bushcraft knives. Don't get me wrong, all my CPK knives are A+ tools.

Many in the knife community like the flat or hig saber convex grind over a V edge. I've found myself liking the convex better as well when we're talking about working wood and other woodsy stuff.

Like I said CPK is in a class of its own for a great general purpose tool. One might consider thou, the hype is leveling off a little.mmthe evidence is there are tons of cpk knives on the secondary market at the moment and they're no longer commanding the big mark ups. There is no question the knives are great but so is the drive of the hunt to acquire one.

When I'm in the woods, there aren't any forums, glamour shots, Instagram or "likes". Ther aren't threads about mike Stewart being bad. There is only chores to make fire or whatever. Obviously the CPK knives are capable of all those chores, but when I bring a fk and an aurora, I use my aurora. It's long, pointy and bites into wood. It also comes with my personal favorite blue denim micarta (I know that doesn't matter).

At this point I'm rambling on but I'll conclude with this: I'm not putting a knife over another. Im just saying for what the op was looking, there may be better options. For a one tool option for everything and a lifetime knife that won't ever fail you and you can take pics of to get likes and brag to your friends, get the HDFK. I have two and they are awesome.

I don't think I'm quoting you unfairly:

I will say that I have all the knives that have been mentioned in this thread plus a hundred more in the same category.

I don't own any knives better than my BRK bravo LT in cruwear or my aurora LT in 3v

Yes. I have one of the prototype d2 hdfks, a d3v HDFK, an fk and edc1 and 2. They are absolutely great but no, I will not reach for them before I reach for my two BRK knives

So all I wanted to know was the reason why. I even said I liked the BRK designs and have looked at them often. Not sure why you are getting all defensive, I just wanted your opinion as you have stated you have a bunch of knives and obviously use them.

And I was mainly interested in the difference between the bravo and the HDFK, as the Aurora is a completely different profile and much better for fine work.

Last edited:

View attachment 910340
You don't really need to do the tests for anyone here. No matter what the results are it doesn't change the fact that BRK has been putting out mislabeled knives and/or knives with QC problems. You might have gotten a good one but they are clearly selling lemons.

Reactions: Mo2
I don't think I'm quoting you unfairly:

So all I wanted to know was the reason why. I even said I liked the BRK designs and have looked at them often. Not sure why you are getting all defensive, I just wanted your opinion as you have stated you have a bunch of knives and obviously use them.

And I was mainly interested in the difference between the bravo and the HDFK, as the Aurora is a completely different profile and much better for fine work.

"Luke said he put it over the HDFK".

I'm not getting defensive but your are 100% misquoting me. Hopefully my other post cleared up a little the difference between the two. There's really no direct comparison, just two different great knives. For what the op mentioned he wanted a knife to do, either would be great. I'll reach for the aurora LT.

You don't really need to do the tests for anyone here. No matter what the results are it doesn't change the fact that BRK has been putting out mislabeled knives and/or knives with QC problems. You might have gotten a good one but they are clearly selling lemons.

I agree, but to be sure, most of the posters on the thread do NOT want to see the pics that would support the 3V knife is 3V. It just wouldn't fit the narrative of the thread. I'm guessing if it rusts or stains though, there will be cheers and chest banging.

I'll post them either way because I'm curious.

Does anyone have any clue how many knives were mislabeled? From what I gather, BRK response was pretty bad.

To be honest, I've read TOO many horror stories about MS and BRKT, not just on this forum, but everywhere! Too much of the same information in different places, can't just be a coincidence. I'll play it safe and buy a knife from the many many other makers, where I know for a fact, what steel I'm getting.

N NiceNife ... I understand you not feeling confident in your sharpening to convex the edge ... and I have no idea what your sharpening skills are ... but just through normal sharpening and stropping the edge will convex naturally over some time ...

if you still feel it might be beyond what you want to take on to sharpen ... I wouldn't let that keep you from buying any knife that checks all your other boxes ... there are some great forum members that do sharpening and are excellent ...

and for convexing a blade at a very fair price Jason B. is a great option and he is very easy to work with answer questions ... and he freehands with various stones and does an excellent convex edge ...I have had him do a few knives for me to thin out or set the edge and I have always been very happy with his work ...

so it's just a suggestion if you find a knife that you really like and the only thing holding you back is that it doesn't come with a convex edge ... I would recommend contacting Jason B. and talking to him and getting a quote ... he is very reasonably priced and you would not be disappointed ...

you could even buy and have the knife delivered to him direct to save on shipping ... but again if the convex edge is the only thing holding you from buying a knife you otherwise would ...

talk to Jason B. on the forums and see about going that route.

Good luck and I hope you find the knife you want and if Jason does convex and sharpen it ... it will be fairly easy to maintain.

JJ

To be honest, I've read TOO many horror stories about MS and BRKT, not just on this forum, but everywhere! Too much of the same information in different places, can't just be a coincidence. I'll play it safe and buy a knife from the many many other makers, where I know for a fact, what steel I'm getting.

I can't blame anyone at all for that. I mean I felt the same way for a long time.

I have had him do a few knives for me to thin out or set the edge and I have always been very happy with his work
Thanks for that, JJ. I’ll definitely look into that.

I'm guessing if it rusts or stains though, there will be cheers and chest banging.
Not necessarily, Luke. I’m hoping your Aurora is genuine 3V. I’m curious to see how real 3V handles water droplets. Even though I said I wouldn’t buy another Bark River, if I were to find another Gunny (not Gunny Hunter or Vortex) in real 3V in blue denim micarta, red liners, thumb ramp, convex, and mosaic pins for under $350, I’d probably buy it on the spot.

Last edited:
The "information" may well be coming from mostly the same folks. I can understand why your want to "play it safe", but to be honest about the steel being used, you really don't know what steel it is other than what the manufacturer says it is. You certainly can tell stainless from carbon steel, but beyond that you don't really know. Only through time and use can you determine your attitude about a particular knife fairly.

I go to the Bark River website and they say "life time warranty", but my overall impression is that BRKT resists any kind of warranty coverage and often blame the user. That is a Mike Stewart trademark. I wonder how frequently warranty work is requested in reality? Mis-labeling steels on a knife is very troubling to be sure and we're pretty sure this is true. It casts doubt on every product that is produced when the reality is likely that it is only a small percentage of the total production. As I mentioned before, how can the consumer know what they are getting other than "carbon vs stainless" and the edges are somewhat frayed on that distinction with the rust comment about normal 3V.

The Aurora is a pretty cool woods knife. I like a guard and slightly larger size, hence I am rather taken with the Wilderness Explorer model in cru-wear. Hopefully it really is cru-wear as it is a new knife.

Reactions: Mo2
I agree, but to be sure, most of the posters on the thread do NOT want to see the pics that would support the 3V knife is 3V. It just wouldn't fit the narrative of the thread. I'm guessing if it rusts or stains though, there will be cheers and chest banging.

I'll post them either way because I'm curious.

Does anyone have any clue how many knives were mislabeled? From what I gather, BRK response was pretty bad.
You mean this doesn't fit your narrative of the thread. I sure hope brk sent out some real 3v blades :D

DJ6ujaQ.jpg

Not a great test but two hours of tap water and nothing. Sorry to disappoint.

Maybe I'll start a thread telling everyone it's 440C. It will be gospel by morning.

Last edited:
Not a great test but two hours of tap water and nothing. Sorry to disappoint.
It appears that you’re ignoring all of my responses and are completely fixated on the idea that people are attacking you and Bark River. It’s getting pretty amusing.

Also, it’s a pretty good ad-hoc test since you have a control that you’re testing against.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back