Photos [Updated with BR’s response] Problems with Brand New Bark River Gunny CPM-3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the post in which I disputed that. I'm not defending BRK per se. I'm talking about the behavior on here where people bash and attack with the same type of organized mission. New poster, conversation, bash then the attack dogs come.
I didn't say you were disputing the facts, I was asking if you were.

Seems like you have an issue here with people who call out shady makers. If you are in to said shady makers (strider, survive, brkt), it might be best for you to stay away from threads about them to avoid getting into personal conflicts with other posters who are speaking of facts. What is happening now is you are letting your personal issues cloud the discussion.

On to the actual topic....

I've had several BRKTs. I had no problems with them has knives. All performed as expected. One of them was a Bravo necker 2 in 3v. I used it for stuff that would make the example in the OP rust out. There is no way that blade in the OP is 3v, at least not the variety I had from Bark River. Great little knife and it acted like 3v.

I sold all of my BRKTs. At first because I didn't use them. The Necker was smaller than I like in an EDC fixed blade. The Bravo 1 was getting pushed out of rotation by other knives, same with the Bravo 2. The arora I never used because I needed to get a kydex sheath made for it but never got around. I sold my last BRKT, the Bravo 2, because of the research I did on the company and Stewart. The way they handled that 20cv fellow in Europe sealed it for me. I like some of the designs but I can't justify giving my money to them when the evidence is obvious. They are shady at best.

CPM-3V is actually a magic steel that resist rust or any corrosion pretty well with the right heat treat. In my experience 3V resist rust significantly better than D2 both are heat treated by me to optimized characteristics for knife blade. There are even some possible scenarios when CTS-XHP pitted and 3V isnt...

On topic, I wouldn't trust anything came from the company owned by Mike Stewart.

I do miss a couple of those blades. I wish BRKT was above board. I'd have more of them.

Not often anymore I get to post these pics:
mEbmBmQh.jpg
q4JfkuLh.jpg
hg9sWD0h.jpg
zqxAvYfh.jpg

CPM-3V is acrually a magic steel that resist rust or any corrosion pretty well with the right heat treat. In my experience 3V resist rust significantly better than D2 both are heat treated by me to optimized characteristics for knife blade. There are even some possible scenarios when CTS-XHP pitted and 3V isnt...

On topic, I wouldn't trust anything came from the company owned by Mike Stewart.
I agree, my big chris knife in 3v was nearly impervious to rust or stains. To the point blood on it for hours left nothing. Quite impressive if you ask me.

I agree, my big chris knife in 3v was nearly impervious to rust or stains. To the point blood on it for hours left nothing. Quite impressive if you ask me.
I've had the CPK Field Knife in non-delta 3v on more than a couple camping trips on the top of a mountain in a cloud. So humid and damp it would make the optics on my telescope and binos dew up in under an hour. Not a bit of rust. My A2 BRKT Bravo 2 would rust inside my air conditioned office during the summer.

3v done half right won't do what is in the OP. So that begs the question....Is it 3v done poorly or is it not 3v? Which is worse? I'm betting it is A2. Very good steel but you should get what you pay for.

I've left green plant juice on my CPK 3V knives and no rust here either. There might have been some color change on the steel, but definitely not rust. Green plant juice, acidic foods and blood will patina a carbon blade almost instantly. I've had BRKT knives in the past, they just weren't my style, a dime a dozen and too much negative stuff out there with mismatched steels and such.

I've had the CPK Field Knife in non-delta 3v on more than a couple camping trips on the top of a mountain in a cloud. So humid and damp it would make the optics on my telescope and binos dew up in under an hour. Not a bit of rust. My A2 BRKT Bravo 2 would rust inside my air conditioned office during the summer.

3v done half right won't do what is in the OP. So that begs the question....Is it 3v done poorly or is it not 3v? Which is worse? I'm betting it is A2. Very good steel but you should get what you pay for.
I had a delta 3v edc and it was on par with corrosion resistance with the big chris knife edc. As far as which is worse; getting a knife in the wrong steel or poorly done correct steel... both bad. It is not a coincidence these threads pop up consistently, I don't care if the OP has 1 post or not. He worded his OP clearly and presented his issue correctly, it also jives with what many of us already know happens with bark river.

And now you will see the personal attacks on me for not ganging up on BRK and having a different openion. And it will likely be the same people that have done it in the past.

But yeah, there's nothing weird going on. There are three or four posters that are basically the BRK patrol. They post on every thread with bashing and they'll bash anyone that doesn't agree.

I’m not bashing Bark River and I’m not bashing you either. I created an account here just to share my experience and to get opinions and recommendations because this is my first 3V knife. Whether you believe me or not is the least of my concerns.

Unfortunately, after looking up what others have suggested, I still like the appearance, dimensions, and specs of the Gunny more. Convex, 3V, around 4”, for bushcrafting. What reputable custom knife company can you recommend?

I’m assuming that based off everyone’s reactions, that 3V should not be rusting the way my knife is. What will cause a 3V blade to rust normally then? Do I need to worry about rust if I were caught in the rain and got the knife and sheath soaked on a week-long camping trip? That would be a common scenario. Will the salty ocean air corrode a 3V blade if I were to take it sailing?

I think as far as production knives I’ll recommend LT Wright. Great company and good dude. CPK is great but a little tough to get your hands on. However, lately there has been a big influx on them in the exchange.

Custom Bushcrafts knives I’d recommend Sargent Edged Tools and Scott Gossman. Two big league guys.

Special mention for big Chris as well. One of my favorite knife makers.

Next someone will say they are only bashing the man and the company as a public service announcement. You know, to protect the other bf members.

Yawn, and this same type of thread will appear in three weeks or so
Probably so common because of the number of bad knives Bark River puts out. No surprise.

The simplest explanation is normally the right one.

Not you.

Normally there are a couple more posters that will be along shortly to personally attack me. Again, pleases top thinking I'm talking about you, it's getting weird.

Last time Thai thread was created, the bf mafia showed up and created other threads in wine and cheese to haze me like high-school bullies. Or rather net forum bullies.

Just the same pattern I've seen for a long time

serious question....are they bashing you or debating? i see it as debating a topic. i dont see it personal at all as in bashing you unless you work for brk and feel any discussion on what they do or dont do is personal since you are directly involved? id understand that position taken...otherwise im confused on why you feel youre being bashed?

to clarify my position i have two blackjack randall clones made by bark river. i like 'em. good knives for the price. have worked well for me. i assume the steel is a2 and was done right. haven't seen any reason from use or sharpening to say anything was done wrong by brk. course my sample is so limited it says nothing when it comes to accuracy or science.

serious question....are they bashing you or debating? i see it as debating a topic. i dont see it personal at all as in bashing you unless you work for brk and feel any discussion on what they do or dont do is personal since you are directly involved? id understand that position taken...otherwise im confused on why you feel youre being bashed?

to clarify my position i have two blackjack randall clones made by bark river. i like 'em. good knives for the price. have worked well for me. i assume the steel is a2 and was done right. haven't seen any reason from use or sharpening to say anything was done wrong by brk. course my sample is so limited it says nothing when it comes to accuracy or science.

No one was bashing me. I was saying that the bashers should be coming along shortly. This is a thread that comes up every so often and it has a formula.

Brand new poster that could be just the same guys creating a new account, creates an innocent post about bark river.

The same posters chime in with several nagative comments about BRK. Obviously there are several facts about brk and those facts can’t be debated: wrong steel, poor cs, bad business practice.

Then if someone mentions another pint of view then theyll create a thread about them in another sub forum, calling them names.

These threads are NOT organic, they are made with purpose and they are tolerated. There are accounts that are only made to disparage brk. Maybe brk deserves it but it doesn’t make it right. There are gangs of posters that will come running I every brk thread to beat them down.

I’m not disputing any of the facts, I’m just pointing out the formula used to keep the brk negative comments on the front page.

It the you track some of these 2018 accounts, the posters chime in a lot of threads with links to the brk threads.

The common saying is “well it’s true”.

How about not making a huge public scene about this before you even hear back from the company?

"I bought this from KnivesShipFree and am waiting on their response."

He literally said he's waiting on their response. He's not bashing knivesShipFree anywhere in his posts, he's just trying to get info on BRKT and 3V.
You mean the response in which I quoted in my post...

All I am saying is making a big detailed post on how you received a product that was not to your liking before giving the company proper time to fix the situation makes the company look bad for people who are possibly going to buy from them in the future. People make threads all the time here in which they receive something not to their liking and when asked have not even gone through the company's customer service to remedy the situation. Its like if I ordered something at a restaurant and it did not come out right so I told the waitress, and before she could have me brought out something else/talk to cook I started showing other people sitting down what was wrong with my food. I have no stake in either company, or own any of their products either. Just doesnt seem like the moral thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back