USAF survival knife photo thread

sac troop,

I was going to post a link to the U.S. Militaria Bolt Knife thread. I know you were in there somewhere. These knives survived and thrived in a lot of places they were never intended to be.

Your 1969 knife struck a chord with me. I wrote this on another site last year when I received my Bolt Knife. I think it would fit well here.

Well way back in 1969, I stumbled across one of these on a shelf in my buddy's basement. At the time I was nine years old. To say it left an impression on me would be an understatement. Back then I had a hatchet and a belt knife. My pal was not into or allowed to have knives. But to me this thing was beyond cool! Aggressive lines, leather handle, bolt pommel, teeth, it was the stuff dreams were made of. And it came in a well used condition that made it even cooler.

It belonged to my buddy's Uncle who spent some time in Southeast Asia. He had a chopped Mode-T and was pretty much larger than life at that point in time. So I think that added to the knife's coolness factor. I was allowed to handle it a few times then it got put away. Probably smart, it was the "Only" thing in my life I ever contemplated stealing. But common sense prevailed. I realized even in my intoxicated state, that I was the only kid in the neighborhood with my drool all over it. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out where it went.

Fast forward to more recent times. In this world of uber high tech, high priced knives, with technical steels oozing out in every direction. My revered Bolt Knife has pretty much been left for dead.

People call it a throw away knife, cheap government crap, and other less than flattering names. I feel it doesn't get the respect it so richly deserves. (in my mind at least). So last week I took it upon myself to finally acquire one and actually put it through it's paces.

As delivered it reminds me of a slightly rough around the edges Ka-Bar. Your basic low budget military hardware. As of today it's going on my belt and getting some woods time. After some time to get acquainted with each other, I may modify it or I may leave it alone. It may break soon or last the rest of my life. I may love it or hate it. Only time will tell.

But right now I'm headed out the door with the coolest knife this nine year old ever handled.

This is a great thread, but your story takes the cake. We know exactly how you felt at 9 because we were all there once, and I would have been on Cloud Nine to get my hands on that knife. In today's knife world there are plenty of "better" knives, but to a 9yr old (or an old dude who's still in touch with his inner-9) it's the perfect fixed blade knife.

Suddenly I'm feeling the need to dig through the basement and find mine................

Thank you for the kind words.

They are just a cool knife. Can't really explain it. Sort of like a well worn pair of blue jeans. I love the history each one carries. And i enjoy seeing the modifications folks make. It is comfortable on the hip.

"Better Knives" is a relative term. I certainly have better knives. I seldom find myself sitting around a campfire staring at them though.

Go find yours, you won't regret it. Like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. It just needs a little love.

I remember cleaning my first deer ( with my uncle's help) with mine.
I think I should take it out and play, get some new pictures.

Hopefully the mod from Ontario will stop by and answer your question.
From what I know it should be marked sorry I can't help more.

I contacted yesterday the Ontario Knives Company, I sent them my questions and got this email: I looked at the images and the 499 Survival Knife that you have looks like a Ontario Knife Company product. The 499 Survival Knife is a government issued knife and made to government specifications. You should find Ontario and a date stamped on the side of the butt cap. It is probably very light.
The last sentence made me think that probably I had to look better to the butt cap and when I was back home I did it: I had to look twice but at the end I found what I was looking for! And yes, it was very light. :)
I would like to thank them also here since their answer arrived pretty soon. Thumb up for OKC.

GEWklXfA0_qLRlc9cOxMkXHxCJqXdqTkzZDhcel7fCfcxcX1sfXDUHfPfQ8knpNlqtjIY54kAoPShig6EK7FIr5YXv-JhPTEtNY_3t4vqdytOfxAFDXsouwdhnX1Vzx3JegM0pz3eQ3oW1GJCighIEhZvFW1nZAvpI0aF_u9ghau-iU0fXoZJhqsI93qAzqwL2JWm1Ww7sgYFEWE7r2ZRaB3NoOosw4yOgcLR5rYkRwLQSO9j8ElnVBxcLZt5dgaNKWseODNKuIc-rYdIy4gesg8h748NBP7cCECZv8yDAxwivRqr8HKjaFsdUbgtCbvPllSa2E6KlNuI8VYazRlJenJKRxTLR7LDpL4AE0x3Ebo0RZwArFX8hHP5AJsixePCgtIb1-NydGqPwXnwVbwbGBE3wRXrC3REl3kJEeENzhRp-mlp0PxM07pcM6uFNX51KXwt1uN-FwgPne9wzDc9KnJRJlM45hkWVFQI8LqvPISB0IL6mzMFynWnAKxYH-LABSSdkhGFdJcBw3pKxPZMReiY5_q3C4n-rS5K3vjsAc=w940-h627-no

Took mine out for some exercise.

I sold mine. Issued in the late70's, Crew Chief OH-6A Helicopter. Guys bored around Barracks, would throw them at trees and try to stick them in. FAILED!. the blades would bend. try to turn them into supply for a new one, and you were met with????????, how did that happen?. Same as with the survival vest flare guns, shoot them off at 4th July to add to the excitment . try to turn them into supply for new ones.

I just received my first Ontario 499 yesterday morning after wanting one for many years. I'm not sure why I waited so long to buy one, because I love the damn thing. It's everything I imagined it would be and more. It helped me build a split wood fire last night and did a great job at breaking down small kindling and making feathers.

Something I noticed about my example of this knife is the groves in the handle. They aren't just cut straight in, but beveled on the edges which leaves a much cleaner finish. I'm very fond of the change.

I've also owned one of the older ('94) Camillus US pocket knives for a few years, just came across it a few days ago (it was packed away after our move). I decided I wanted to purchase one of the newer Ontario productions to use, and keep the older one as a collector. I was surprised to find they've been discontinued:eek: Luckily my local cutlery shop had one left and I placed my order this afternoon. It's already on its way.

Anyone know why the US pocket knife was discontinued?

Regardless, some pics of my new Bolt Knife. :D

Reactions: vab
I already asked Toooj, but got no answer yet. So in the meantime maybe someone else could help out?
I realized that the hardness indicated on the OKC Website for the Ontario ASEK has changed form 50-54 to 55-57.
When did that change take place? Or is there an error on the website? If there is really a change, how can you tell an old from a new one?
Best regards,
Markus

Reactions: vab
Hi ml - I should probably pop over to the Ask Toooj thread and let people know Toooj is on vacation. I don't think we made any changes, I think we just corrected the listing. The Quality Control department that has been doing a great job with our products has also jumped in to start helping with website and catalog work.

Hi ml - I should probably pop over to the Ask Toooj thread and let people know Toooj is on vacation. I don't think we made any changes, I think we just corrected the listing. The Quality Control department that has been doing a great job with our products has also jumped in to start helping with website and catalog work.

Thanks for the relpy. That would mean that my ASEK has a hardness of 55-57. Good to hear. That would maybe explain why the edge retention is much better than I expected from a 50-54 hardness.

Mine is stamped 10-76, bought it at an army/navy surplus store many years ago. It got a lot of carry time and use the first few years I had it. It's a good camp or utility knife and a lot of knife for the money.

Back