USAF survival knife photo thread

Is that still current issue? Are they still being made?

Gaston

Not sure if it's still current issue or not but OKC does has two different versions listed on their website for purchase.

The current specification for the JPSK is SAE- AS8662. That's about 17 years old now but is listed as still current. As far as if the Government has been ordering any lately I don't know.

So far as the ASEK knife goes, I can only find references to Army Aviation for it. The National Stock Number is NSN: 1095-01-518-6832. I haven't been able to locate a specific specification description related to that stock number so far.
OBTW, for the JPSK the NSN: 7340-00-098-4327.

Last edited:
That's a nice photo. Do you use the knife alot?
I prefer the old style. Can't get used to the serrations.

Reactions: vab
That's a nice photo. Do you use the knife alot?
I prefer the old style. Can't get used to the serrations.

The serrations are so small, they never bothered me. This is one of the few knives, I wouldn't give away and I guess it gets to be used more than my other knives.

Picked up one the other day for $7 no sheath, slightly rusty, dry rot leather. Good candidate for some mods like leather/bone handle

Ontario, I have a idea.Revamp the USAF survival knife by removing the top guard, give it a flat grind and maybe a better saw for wood.
Call it the bush pilot.
What do you think?

I have one dated 10-76. I bought it at an army/navy surplus store in 1978. Used it a lot the first few years, lost it, then found it. It was my go to knife when I didn't want to risk damage to a more expensive knife. Used offshore in a saltwater/air environment and in the swamps of Louisiana. It is one tough knife. With minimal care , light oil on blade and shoe polish on sheath, this knife may last another 40 years. I think I paid about $15.00 for it.

Ontario, I have a idea.Revamp the USAF survival knife by removing the top guard, give it a flat grind and maybe a better saw for wood.
Call it the bush pilot.
What do you think?

I like that idea.
Why reinvent the wheel, just balance the one you already have, for a better ride.

I am thinking of buying a new one and trying it myself.
Might be easier to just start with a piece of steel. ;)

Ha, Great minds think alike.

After reading your post, I thought the same thing. I grabbed mine and took one of my wife's nail emory board sets to it last night. Took the Parkerized finish off nicely. Then I set about convexing it with a corse git board.

It's looking pretty snazy at the moment. Perhaps later in the day, I will try and get a fee shots up.

May snag a new one and try the guard reduction, need to think about how I want that to look.
I like the name Bush Pilot. But working Bolt in there somewhere might be a cool idea. Forest Bolt, Wilderness Bolt, Something. I think some part of the Fuller needs to remain. It is a signature part of the knife.

A large part of selling knives is something new. Another part is marketing.
This would build off a knife that already has a great reputation.

Iz Turley built a high end custom based on the Bolt Knife. I think he called his the Thunder Bolt.
I thought about shaving some steel and adding a titanium pommel and calling it the Lightning Bolt for the weight reduction.

Such a cool blade, with such history. Sad to see it languishing in the background.

Maybe it will get some traction, perhaps not.
Most knife companies today are owned and controlled by counters of beans, not makers of knives.

Still, I have to root for KA-BAR and Ontario. Both made in the USA (mostly) and both from my home state.

Last edited:
I have seen Iz Turley's knife. I forgot about it. It is a slick knife.
I wander if a knife could be made full tang but keep the bolt look and hammer function?
The more I think about it , I wander how hard it would be to regrind a Ontario( you would run into the fuller) and recut saw teeth?
Maybe I could have one made and handle it myself to save money .
IMO it would be best if Ontario just produced it. Keeping the sheath just as it is and yes keep the fuller.

LostViking, LG&M... quit talking about it and get to making it :p

I'll take one when you do :D :D

Cool thread guys.

Iz Turley built a high end custom based on the Bolt Knife. I think he called his the Thunder Bolt.

Just for reference here are a couple of Turley Thunderbolts (Mississippi on top, Boonie on bottom) with an Ontario:

Back