USAF survival knife photo thread

So the OKC “499” is mil-spec for the USAF? Pilots mostly pay for their gear, at least the officers would. I know the 498 has heavy black paint on the leather handle, which among other details makes it mil-spec, issued to or at least called the “marine combat utility.” Yet what I hear is that in the Army, fixed blade knives over 3” are prohibited in at least one infantry battalion in Afghanistan. The member did not state which one, of course, probably not wanting to risk punishment on next assignment.

At the time MIL-K-8662 was written it would apply to all branches of the service. The task for writing this specific specification was actually assigned to a group from the Navy. While the majority of these knives would have been distributed to Navy and Air Force pilots, they found there way to individuals through out the different services. Some military historians feel that the JPSK was the most common fixed blade knife used by special forces personal during Vietnam. In my collection I have pictures of these knives worn by a variety of combat ground troops from medics, infantry, also ARVIN solders.
As far as I know the Ontario 499 is still made to comply with the military specification. The Government has been going away from military specific specifications to something more generic. The original MIL-K-8662 was rewritten to SAE- AS8662 close to twenty years ago now. Just because a specification exists doesn't mean the Government is actively stocking said items.

Apprently this knife was from a solider who served during the Vietnam conflict. Traded to an SAS solider during visits in Ireland during the IRA's terror regime. Someone had a go at making th sheath more decorative. :)

gxO4tdA.jpg
oOnoJjW.jpg

I just gave mine a once over after reading back in this thread. My knife has no markings on it! How strange. Nothing on either side of the blade and nothing on any of the sides of the pommel..

The pommel is held in place by the peened tang and there is a metal spacer under the guard.

Any idea why? is it an old counterfit, a run of mass produced unmarked ones or simply just.. no idea??

Here's one of mine. A January 1969 Ontario, I believe that is the earliest of the Ontario JPSK's. It saw service in Vietnam, I got it from a RF-4C pilot when we were both stationed in Texas.

IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg

This is one of the examples that got painted/dyed black. It never occurred to me to ask him about why it was done. At the time the black and original finished JPSK's were so common it was pretty much taken for granted. Even the original grey sealant was covered over. You can see from the sheath where it was sewn to a survival vest.

IMG_0126.jpg

I just gave mine a once over after reading back in this thread. My knife has no markings on it! How strange. Nothing on either side of the blade and nothing on any of the sides of the pommel..

The pommel is held in place by the peened tang and there is a metal spacer under the guard.

Any idea why? is it an old counterfit, a run of mass produced unmarked ones or simply just.. no idea??
@Toooj would have the best answer.
Got a picture ?

Most likely a copy made overseas. They were imported here and also available overseas. While many of them did have stampings with the makers name or just the country of origin, usually Japan, some were not marked. Hard to say without pictures. Also some knives that were made after the spec changed to marking the knives on the pommel are hard to read and if the knife is worn and/or corroded the marking can go away.

Here's one of mine. A January 1969 Ontario, I believe that is the earliest of the Ontario JPSK's. It saw service in Vietnam, I got it from a RF-4C pilot when we were both stationed in Texas.

IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg

This is one of the examples that got painted/dyed black. It never occurred to me to ask him about why it was done. At the time the black and original finished JPSK's were so common it was pretty much taken for granted. Even the original grey sealant was covered over. You can see from the sheath where it was sewn to a survival vest.

IMG_0126.jpg

Ontario 1989.I noticed the harness listed on the Ontario site is 50-55.
Can anyone tell me if it was higher in the past and when the change was please?

I'm thinking of picking one up after reading this thread. (I'm easily influenced ;)) However, being that I'm a lefty, will the sheath work as well with the knife reversed for left hand carry?

Back