USAF survival knife photo thread

The Turley Thunderbolts are top notch. Thanks for the pictures.
My hope is Ontario will make a run. If I have to have one made custom it would be pricey. If only I could figure out how to get Ontario's attention :D
Maybe if I post more photos of mine doing " bushcraft" stuff.

Ontario, I have a idea.Revamp the USAF survival knife by removing the top guard, give it a flat grind and maybe a better saw for wood.
Call it the bush pilot.
What do you think?

That's a superb idea. If for no other reason than it'd be a kick-azz name! The USAF is one of those "so ugly it's beautiful" knives, and would make a great foundation for mods.

My son is getting wood handled Mora with a lower guard for his 5th birthday in 8wks, but within a couple years his first "big boy" knife with be the good old Ontario USAF. :)

I like the bush pilot idea. I wanna get one of these some day. I love the history and I wanna see OKC and ka-Bar around for another 100 years or so!!! Seems like a affordable truck knife!

Truck knife is a fine job for the bolt knife.
Never hurts to have a good blade & if it can help get you out of a cockpit it can help you get out of a truck cab.

seen one in walmart he other day without the fuller and the sharp clip point/ Is that the way the new ones are

caine,

Just for Walmart. If you want a traditional 499, you can buy it at any number of other places.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Boltin' through the woods,

Just some mid term updates. It's further along, but my I-net has been limited by Sky-Net

Still contemplating cutting off the top guard. But I can always cut it off, I can't cut it back on.

You could say, I'm nutz for my Bolt!

Carry on

Last edited:
Love the contrast on the blade.
I have thought about removing the top guard but never did.

caine,

Just for Walmart. If you want a traditional 499, you can buy it at any number of other places.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Toooj. Explained it is a walmart special.

lvIg0kt.jpg

Time to condition the leather again.

Mine is about forty years old now. The handle is nice and smooth and darkened by years of use. I never treated the leather grip with anything. I believe the natural oils and sweat from my hand have given the grip it's texture and color. The sheath was recently replaced and the knife is now kept in my truck.

Mine is about forty years old now. The handle is nice and smooth and darkened by years of use. I never treated the leather grip with anything. I believe the natural oils and sweat from my hand have given the grip it's texture and color. The sheath was recently replaced and the knife is now kept in my truck.
kQ3Ploq.jpg

Do you guys put anything on the leather handle, like mink oil, or do you just leave it as it is?

If you plan to take it outside, leather protectant is a must! Neetsfoot oil soak or sno-seal or some cheaper alternative will prevent leather rot. Both the handle and the sheathe need a soak or at least a coat or 2!

The asek is current issue, the 499 is the original from WW2-Vietnam. Ontario just kept rolling them out for knife nuts like us!

The knife doesn't go back to WW2. It was proposed by Marble's and replaced the then current Pilot's knife that was first ordered in 1957. The Government specification is MIL-K-8662. The 499 number is an Ontario number assigned to this pattern, a similar way that Camillus used the number 5733 for their internal use and stock number.
The Government had Camillus compete with Marble's for the first run of knives and long story short Camillus won. Genuine Military contract Marble's JPSK's are rare. About 99% of the knives you'll see offered will be commercial one's made by Marble's or fakes put together by others. Ontario made their first JPSK's for Uncle dated on the pommel 1-1969. Still being supplied during Desert Storm and into the 21st century.

So far I haven't found any ASEK's ordered by the Air Force, but that doesn't mean they aren't. I see them going to the Army, and the practice of personal purchase and direct unit purchase has been on the rise.
The folks here from Ontario would better know if they are filling orders for GSA on the 499's they make.

Back