• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad User Franky4246 - ghosts after agreeing to sell, with no explanation

Long story short I found a good deal on a knife my buddy J has been looking for. I linked him here to the BF ad, he told the seller he wanted to buy, seller said he won't sell because J has no trades and is new to BF. I then vouch for J and say I'll buy it on his behalf, seller says OK and we PM. I tell the seller to send me an invoice on PP, he says he doesn't know how, then I send him instructions. At this point he ghosts me, leaves the conversation, and edits a comment in his thread to say "still available". I PM him again and ask if there was a misunderstanding, and say I can pay with another method if PP invoice isn't good for him, but he leaves that convo too. No explanation is given. This is something I'd expect from Facebook, but not a BF member with solid feedback.

No money or knives changed hands but we had a deal and he backed out with no explanation or warning. I don't want to name him yet though, because I don't know if this is sufficient enough for this subforum. If it is I'll edit his username into the title to warn others.

Just as a side note, it's a good deal on a knife, and I was wondering why it was still available after being listed all day. Now I know why.

I have been frustrated in the past when sellers fumble a sale situation. However, they always have the right to sell to whomever they wish.

What I consider unacceptable behavior in the electronic age is being ignored when making a good faith effort to communicate with someone. Although the seller has the right to ignore you, that does not mean s/he should. (Could the seller have blocked you somehow after your last contact?) If you feel strongly enough about the matter, post the name. Or, just put that one on your shite list and never contact them for anything again.

I have been frustrated in the past when sellers fumble a sale situation. However, they always have the right to sell to whomever they wish.

What I consider unacceptable behavior in the electronic age is being ignored when making a good faith effort to communicate with someone. Although the seller has the right to ignore you, that does not mean s/he should. (Could the seller have blocked you somehow after your last contact?) If you feel strongly enough about the matter, post the name. Or, just put that one on your shite list and never contact them for anything again.

Exactly. He has the right to deal with whoever he wants, but to suddenly ghost a prospective buyer with no communication is a dick move no matter how you cut it. And it's not even that he straight ignored me - we had a short PM conversation before he just peaced out and decided I wasn't good enough to buy his knife or whatever. Just bizarre.

The bottom line is that the seller can choose not to sell to whomever he chooses.

I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with him ghosting me with no explanation after saying explicitly "yeah you can buy it". If he changed his mind, at least say so. You don't just stop communicating with someone and leave them hanging. That's not normal unless you're social inept or just a dick. I like to think the members of BF are more polite and professional than your average jackass.

Not worthy of feedback rating imo. If you feel the need, do name the user here to warn others. That said, naming here to warn opens up the non transaction to criticism that might backfire on you if everything on your end was not above board. Seen it happen many times.

Might be best to just put the guy on ignore and move on.

Edit to add: by starting this thread you have essentially named him already as the sales thread is not hard to find. Also, you two shouldn't be posting the drama in his sales thread. I get the annoyance of him ghosting with no explanation, I'd be pissed too, but post that stuff here. Taking a dump in a sales thread is against the rules.

Last edited:
Not worthy of feedback rating imo. If you feel the need, do name the user here to warn others. That said, naming here to warn opens up the non transaction to criticism that might backfire on you if everything on your end was not above board. Seen it happen many times.

Yeah that's the plan. Edited his name into the title and I'll ignore him from now on. I meant feedback as in posting here, not the feedback scoring system.

As for backfiring on me I have nothing to hide. I'll even post the (short) PM convo we had if it helps.

Edit to add: by starting this thread you have essentially named him already as the sales thread is not hard to find. Also, you two shouldn't be posting the drama in his sales thread. I get the annoyance of him ghosting with no explanation, I'd be pissed too, but post that stuff here. Taking a dump in a sales thread is against the rules.
This, but if you do choose to name them the general etiquette is to tag them in the thread to give them an opportunity to respond.

No money or knives changed hands
No Transaction= No Feedback.

This is a hobby for most of us. With all the scams and fraud I err on the side of caution and if a transaction becomes convoluted or seems questionable I bail sooner than later.

Life's too short- Move on. If you dig in, press the point, post his name and be a dick others will just put you on their ignore list.

When you're on someones "Ignore List" they don't see your posts or get notification of conversation posts \ requests.

This, but if you do choose to name them the general etiquette is to tag them in the thread to give them an opportunity to respond.

How do I tag someone on BF? Never done it before.

edit: I'll send him a PM with a link here.

No Transaction= No Feedback.

This is a hobby for most of us. With all the scams and fraud I err on the side of caution and if a transaction becomes convoluted or seems questionable I bail sooner than later.

Life's too short- Move on. If you dig in, press the point, post his name and be a dick others will just put you on their ignore list.

When you're on someones "Ignore List" they don't see your posts or get notification of conversation posts \ requests.

I understand that completely, caution is always preferable. But act like a civilized human being and communicate your thoughts instead of just ghosting. If he felt I was being shady somehow he could have just said "sorry this feels off, I'm going with someone else". But he didn't.

And if pressing this and calling the guy out for being a Facebook-like flake who can't communicate like an adult makes me a dick somehow, so be it. Frankly if someone else find this guy's behaviour acceptable I don't want to deal with them anyhow, ignore away.

How do I tag someone on BF? Never done it before.

I understand that completely, caution is always preferable. But act like a civilized human being and communicate your thoughts instead of just ghosting. If he felt I was being shady somehow he could have just said "sorry this feels off, I'm going with someone else". But he didn't.

And if pressing this and calling the guy out for being a Facebook-like flake who can't communicate like an adult makes me a dick somehow, so be it.
Just @ and then their username. I genuinely think posts like yours are useful because refusing to do business with one member in a potentially confusing situation (apologies, but it reads that way a bit to me) is one thing, but this can help expose a pattern of behavior and warn others. I certainly don't think this thread is out of line

To tag someone, just type in @ and then their user name like so kefefs kefefs you will see a stack of avatars pop up and you just pick the right on.

Vouches. This place isn't big on those. In fact just about as soon as you say that word a lot of sellers will red flag you also along with the person you're trying to help.

It really would have been easy for him to just say, "no thanks". I can even understand not wanting to do the sale. If you don't want to sell to a person, involving a third party is a potential problem source where more could go wrong. I wouldn't do it either without knowing the parties.

Communication is key. Almost everything can be solved with good communication.

To tag someone, just type in @ and then their user name like so kefefs kefefs you will see a stack of avatars pop up and you just pick the right on.

Vouches. This place isn't big on those. In fact just about as soon as you say that word a lot of sellers will red flag you also along with the person you're trying to help.

Thanks. @Franky4246

Just @ and then their username. I genuinely think posts like yours are useful because refusing to do business with one member in a potentially confusing situation (apologies, but it reads that way a bit to me) is one thing, but this can help expose a pattern of behavior and warn others. I certainly don't think this thread is out of line

That's what I figured. And this is just a guess, but I don't think me and J are the first people he's arbitrarily denied doing business with. He had a $365 NIB Firetac listed and it took all day to sell. That should have been gone in minutes.

And he didn't seem to find it confusing. He didn't want to do business with J so he said, "...sure, you can buy for him and then he can pay you, however you guys deal with each other, its between you". All he had to do was take my money and ship to me, he didn't have to deal with anything else.

It really would have been easy for him to just say, "no thanks". I can even understand not wanting to do the sale. If you don't want to sell to a person, involving a third party is a potential problem source where more could go wrong. I wouldn't do it either without knowing the parties.

Communication is key. Almost everything can be solved with good communication.

That's my issue, not that he refused to sell my friend a knife. I get not wanting to sell to someone and he has that right 100%. But the lack of communication really bothered me. Hell, even if he just said "sorry I decided to sell to someone else" that would be enough.

Long story short I found a good deal on a knife my buddy J has been looking for. I linked him here to the BF ad, he told the seller he wanted to buy, seller said he won't sell because J has no trades and is new to BF. I then vouch for J and say I'll buy it on his behalf, seller says OK and we PM. I tell the seller to send me an invoice on PP, he says he doesn't know how, then I send him instructions. At this point he ghosts me, leaves the conversation, and edits a comment in his thread to say "still available". I PM him again and ask if there was a misunderstanding, and say I can pay with another method if PP invoice isn't good for him, but he leaves that convo too. No explanation is given. This is something I'd expect from Facebook, but not a BF member with solid feedback.

No money or knives changed hands but we had a deal and he backed out with no explanation or warning. I don't want to name him yet though, because I don't know if this is sufficient enough for this subforum. If it is I'll edit his username into the title to warn others.

Just as a side note, it's a good deal on a knife, and I was wondering why it was still available after being listed all day. Now I know why.
How could he send you a PP invoice? You said in your sales thread that PayPal has banned your account? Hinderer XM-24 Triway Sheepsfoot in Stonewash Blue (B) $525 SPF

If my edit in his thread was out of line (clarifying that he ghosted me and warning other users) I'll remove it, but I'm not responsible for what other people post. :/

If my edit in his thread was out of line (clarifying that he ghosted me and warning other users) I'll remove it, but I'm not responsible for what other people post. :/
Never said you were responsible for others. Editing your posts would be a show of good faith but mods can still see what happened. That thread is a mess, I'll bet it gets cleaned up.

Back