• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad User Franky4246 - ghosts after agreeing to sell, with no explanation

I understand that completely, caution is always preferable. But act like a civilized human being and communicate your thoughts instead of just ghosting. If he felt I was being shady somehow he could have just said "sorry this feels off, I'm going with someone else". But he didn't.

And if pressing this and calling the guy out for being a Facebook-like flake who can't communicate like an adult makes me a dick somehow, so be it. Frankly if someone else find this guy's behaviour acceptable I don't want to deal with them anyhow, ignore away.

It really would have been easy for him to just say, "no thanks". I can even understand not wanting to do the sale. If you don't want to sell to a person, involving a third party is a potential problem source where more could go wrong. I wouldn't do it either without knowing the parties.

Communication is key. Almost everything can be solved with good communication.

Yes, it's rude and annoying to not get a "Sorry, no deal." message.

On the other hand, I'd be inclined to just let it go without getting too upset about it. If the person is bad at communication, things only get worse down the line if there's a shipping problem, for instance. This is just a hobby for most of us, and who needs the stress? Tell yourself you dodged a bullet and move on.

PM me the conversation of you don't mind.

Sent.

Yes, it's rude and annoying to not get a "Sorry, no deal." message.

On the other hand, I'd be inclined to just let it go without getting too upset about it. If the person is bad at communication, things only get worse down the line if there's a shipping problem, for instance. This is just a hobby for most of us, and who needs the stress? Tell yourself you dodged a bullet and move on.

Yeah I get that. You're right, who knows.

Both parties could have handled this all a bit better. I don't blame the seller for backing off, but they could have just said sorry not interested. I get OP is miffed, but posting here is probably questionable as well. You are both wrong in my opinion and this a bunch of drama for no great reason. put seller on ignore and move on.

I went and looked at the sales thread, and really ?? Why crap all over the guy's thread like that.
I don't blame the seller once seeing that. The OP and wanna be buyer may need to relax.

Last edited:
A simple "Sorry I have decided to cancel this transaction" from the seller would have been the polite thing to do. However the sellers behaviour does not warrant this thread.

The seller probably saw that your Paypal account had been banned and wanted no more to do with you, your buddy, or the transaction.
Sure he could have been more diplomatic but he certainly is within his rights to move on.

You on the other hand had no business bringing this here. We have all had similar experiences buying things online. Suck it up and move on.

A simple "Sorry I have decided to cancel this transaction" from the seller would have been the polite thing to do. However the sellers behaviour does not warrant this thread.

The seller probably saw that your Paypal account had been banned and wanted no more to do with you, your buddy, or the transaction.
Sure he could have been more diplomatic but he certainly is within his rights to move on.

You on the other hand had no business bringing this here. We have all had similar experiences buying things online. Suck it up and move on.

Ah well, agree to disagree I guess. More people so far seem to agree with me posting, and mods have commented here and not removed it, so I guess it does belong.

Exactly, we've all had the same crappy experience buying things online. Maybe if more people talked about it we'd have less. Plus like someone else said, this might not be a big deal on its own, but it can establish a pattern down the line if he keeps acting like this.

Ah well, agree to disagree I guess. More people so far seem to agree with me posting, and mods have commented here and not removed it, so I guess it does belong.

Exactly, we've all had the same crappy experience buying things online. Maybe if more people talked about it we'd have less. Plus like someone else said, this might not be a big deal on its own, but it can establish a pattern down the line if he keeps acting like this.

Mods don't remove stuff unless it is blatantly offensive. They will however lock a pointless thread. I expect that to happen here soon.

I see two of the above posts in agreement with you.
Perhaps if they were the seller and discovered your PP account was banned, and you were buying for another member because his offer was rejected, I wonder how they would have reacted with that information?

The seller was somewhat rude to ghost you, but well within his rights to reject the sale.

It is the sellers right to avoid any complicated deals, especially when selling a premium knife. Yes it would have been nice for him to spell it out that he wasn’t interested, but perhaps he felt that it was obvious enough without saying more.

It is the sellers right to avoid any complicated deals, especially when selling a premium knife. Yes it would have been nice for him to spell it out that he wasn’t interested, but perhaps he felt that it was obvious enough without saying more.

There was nothing complicated about the deal other than him needing to click an extra button to select "send invoice" instead of a regular request. He even said himself he'd sell to me and then what happened between me and my buddy would be between us. I wasn't trying to cause the guy any undue stress.

Mods don't remove stuff unless it is blatantly offensive. They will however lock a pointless thread. I expect that to happen here soon.

I see two of the above posts in agreement with you.
Perhaps if they were the seller and discovered your PP account was banned, and you were buying for another member because his offer was rejected, I wonder how they would have reacted with that information?

The seller was somewhat rude to ghost you, but well within his rights to reject the sale.

A lot of people in the knife community have been banned from Paypal, even more (especially here) just straight up won't take it.

And you're phrasing that in a way to make it sound as bad as possible, like it was some shady deal going down to get a knife for someone that the seller didn't want to give it to. Like a straw purchase. That's not what happened.

The seller just didn't to take the risk selling to a new member, but was cool selling to me. Until I asked him for an invoice. If he had a problem with my being banned from PP he probably would have said that before.

There was nothing complicated about the deal other than him needing to click an extra button to select "send invoice" instead of a regular request. He even said himself he'd sell to me and then what happened between me and my buddy would be between us. I wasn't trying to cause the guy any undue stress.
This business about wanting a PayPal invoice when you have a banned account would scare away many sellers. Most don’t know what you said about being able to pay the invoice anyway, but with a credit card. I agree however, that it would have been more businesslike for the seller to explain his reasons.

Not worthy of feedback rating imo. If you feel the need, do name the user here to warn others. That said, naming here to warn opens up the non transaction to criticism that might backfire on you if everything on your end was not above board. Seen it happen many times.

Might be best to just put the guy on ignore and move on.

Edit to add: by starting this thread you have essentially named him already as the sales thread is not hard to find. Also, you two shouldn't be posting the drama in his sales thread. I get the annoyance of him ghosting with no explanation, I'd be pissed too, but post that stuff here. Taking a dump in a sales thread is against the rules.

I didn't think you could leave feedback anyway if no deal was done? Maybe I'm wrong about that. Anyway I would suggest to the would be buyers that they just move on. No deal was done. You aren't out anything but some angst. Could the seller have handled it better? Sure, but we all have off days.

Long story short I found a good deal on a knife my buddy J has been looking for. I linked him here to the BF ad, he told the seller he wanted to buy, seller said he won't sell because J has no trades and is new to BF. I then vouch for J and say I'll buy it on his behalf, seller says OK and we PM. I tell the seller to send me an invoice on PP, he says he doesn't know how, then I send him instructions. At this point he ghosts me, leaves the conversation, and edits a comment in his thread to say "still available". I PM him again and ask if there was a misunderstanding, and say I can pay with another method if PP invoice isn't good for him, but he leaves that convo too. No explanation is given. This is something I'd expect from Facebook, but not a BF member with solid feedback.

No money or knives changed hands but we had a deal and he backed out with no explanation or warning. I don't want to name him yet though, because I don't know if this is sufficient enough for this subforum. If it is I'll edit his username into the title to warn others.

^ Another "vouch"/er. :rolleyes:

The fact that you would even started such a ridiculous thread & create drama over such a trivial situation, tells me all I need to know. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Bottom line: A seller has the right to sell to whomever they choose, without explanation (it's happened to me here plenty of times)- period! Move on!

OP: You just made my never to do business/ignore list.

Edited to add:
I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with him ghosting me with no explanation after saying explicitly "yeah you can buy it". If he changed his mind, at least say so. You don't just stop communicating with someone and leave them hanging. That's not normal unless you're social inept or just a dick. I like to think the members of BF are more polite and professional than your average jackass.

^ The only problem ("average jackass") I'm seeing here, is you starting this thread.

It's crystal clear to me now, that this seller made the right call. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Double Edit:
No Transaction= No Feedback.

This is a hobby for most of us. With all the scams and fraud I err on the side of caution and if a transaction becomes convoluted or seems questionable I bail sooner than later.

Life's too short- Move on. If you dig in, press the point, post his name and be a dick others will just put you on their ignore list.

^ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

^ Spot on, Stevens! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A lot of people in the knife community have been banned from Paypal, even more (especially here) just straight up won't take it.

^ This has to be one of the dumbest things/arguments I think I've ever read here in the GBU. If I were a seller, & you contacted me wanting to buy/trade for a knife I had listed, & then told me: Oh BTW, my PayPal account has been "BANNED," yet you still wanted me to use PayPal to send you an Invoice with....

WHAT THE HELL PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON??? And now I'm reading that you also crapped all over the Seller's sales thread; and then you still have the audacity to be staring a thread here in the GBU creating drama with an otherwise reputable member; crying about "dick" moves??? What a massive hypocrite you are!!!

FYI- in all my years/hundred's of transactions, with so many of the awesome stellar/reputable member's I've dealt with here: I'VE NEVER ONCE, DEALT WITH ANYONE WHO HAD A "BANNED" PAYPAL ACCOUNT!

This business about wanting a PayPal invoice when you have a banned account would scare away many sellers. Most don’t know what you said about being able to pay the invoice anyway, but with a credit card.

^ Exactly!

It's astonishing, just how quickly some people forget! Remember all of the member's here who were SOL (knives/$$$), after they were scammed by Heath Helton, after PayPal refused to help them after the Credit Card company's did charge backs for their transaction? I wonder how many of these member's who were scammed by HH, would deal with this fool?!? :rolleyes:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...on-is-a-scammer.1539933/page-47#post-19210572

The seller did absolutely nothing wrong here! The "butthurt," is 100% on the OP.

Last edited:
^ The only problem ("average jackass") I'm seeing here, is you starting this thread.

It's crystal clear to me now, that this seller made the right call.
So, you see no problem with the seller communicating perfectly fine with the buyer and then with no notice or explanation "ghosting" the buyer?

If the seller refused to sell to the OP's friend that had no feedback, why should he sell it to the OP, just to have it ultimately end up with the friend? The sellers mistake was agreeing to handle the sale that way. No money changed hands, so negative feedback is not warranted. A thread like this guarantees that members will put both parties on a do not sell to list. There is no winner.

So, you see no problem with the seller communicating perfectly fine with the buyer and then with no notice or explanation "ghosting" the buyer?

LMAO and he seems real upset for someone who was just going to ignore me and move on. I think Kelama needs to reexamine his priorities.

If the seller refused to sell to the OP's friend that had no feedback, why should he sell it to the OP, just to have it ultimately end up with the friend? The sellers mistake was agreeing to handle the sale that way. No money changed hands, so negative feedback is not warranted. A thread like this guarantees that members will put both parties on a do not sell to list. There is no winner.

It's not like he had a personal problem with my friend and didn't want him to have the knife. He said so himself. He just didn't want to deal with a new, unknown user. He said, quoting his PM, "...like I said, really its not personal, I understand he's got tons of swap experience on reddit or Facebook, I just prefer to sell it to people has feedback here, I apologize if he took the wrong way, and sure, you can buy for him and then he can pay you, however you guys deal with each other, its between you."

I'm not trying to "win" here. Like someone else said, I'm posting just in case this becomes a pattern for the seller.

Also, to me it speaks volumes that he's been online since this was posted, has been tagged AND PM'd about it, and hasn't replied.

While he should have kept up reasonable(by reasonable, not having to repeat over and over the same thing) communication with you as to any change in intentions. It is better to find out any problems with a seller earlier rather than latter in the transaction. I would just move on, thankful no money had changed hands to complicate things.
That said, I doubt I would have done this deal with the OP-but would have let him know I wasn't
2nd party sale
banned account and using invoice
and most importantly my computer will not do PP transactions :)

Last edited:
Back