Review Using the RUIXIN PRO III knife sharpener

As a hobby project for me I was going to put my own scales on 4 or 5 good quality steel kitchen knive blanks for my wife. All I want to do is keep a good edge on them for her. Would the RX-008 be good enough for that. I'm not going into knife production. I don't think I'd need all the modifications that have been talked about here. I would also purchase some diamond stones.

Has NE1 got the upgraded Ruixin Pro model? Saw this recent video on my youtube recommendations today and found it highly relevant to the topic. Obviously the RUIXIN PRO III is an outdated model (this outdated thread) but imho there's no need to open a new thread on each and every newer RUIXIN PRO model which has followed after. From what i can see, this upgraded model surpasses the III in every respect:

I find it amusing though how much grinding (i.e. number of strokes per mm bevel length) she does and goes thru all four CN diamond rods rofl (CN diamond rods are all coarse, removing too much steel). But such videos serve well to mirror our own faults as a beginner at the Ruixin models: we simply spend too much time grinding, grinding, and grinding, don't know where to begin, when to stop, when to proceed, how to microdeburr. During the process we remove much more steel than necessary (eventually producing recurves/overgrinds on some knife models) and we doht even care because kitchen knives have lots of steel and are old as ****.

The girl also tries to use water on the rubyred rod, which is another fault. No big deal, just another indication that she doesn't really know **** about proper sharpening (i doht doubt that she can get her kitchen knives screaming sharp, so no offense please).

But i am impressed by the apparent build quality of the system. I wished this new model were available at the time when i got into Ruixin 5.0 years ago (i opened this thread 1 yr after i had bought model III). I must envy all sharpening beginners who are late in the game and didn't start with GRSS (guided rod sharpening systems) until now. The Ruixin models have come a long way and become the top of line at the budget level. Imho superior to any Lansky system and possibly preferable to Work Sharp guided rod systems too.

Last edited:
I have a standard RX-008 which I had high hopes for before ordering it last year, but I was disappointed with the clamp. It works well for only certain kitchen knives and certain grinds. Most EDC and other knives do not work well in the clamp.

Very recently, I also picked up a "SY Tools K6" model which impressed me when I saw it - but alas, the clamps are once again badly designed and do not work with most knives. The K6's rotating mechanism is probably one of the best Chinese systems thus far, but they just can't seem to get their clamps working well. I ended up modifying my K6 to work with some of my KakBritva clamps and now I like it a bit more.

Great for working on Kitchen knives with a flat stock.In the video above, those diamond hones are a few bucks a piece and are easily replaceable.

Back